10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 3:58 PM by Lance Lenoir

Auto Lenses Hiccup?

Lance Lenoir

I'm currently running 6.1 because I wanted to have the ability to apply lense correction in camera raw.

I've gone through a number of images with both of my Nikon D3's where I click the enable lense correction

button and then have to choose the drop down arrow before anything happens to the image. I had assumed

this was the default way it worked until today. A friend who has a D700 wanted to know if he could

bring some images over and test them with the lense correction. After loading the images and opening

in camera raw as soon as the enable lense correction button was checked it automatically choose

the lense and applied a fix. Here's the funny part, he doesn't have any Nikkor lenses so I let him shoot

with my 14-24, 24-70, and 70-200.

Is this a hiccup that will be fixed in the final release?

Lance

• 1. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

That's because of camera defaults.

1. Load a new photo of your D3, shot with the desired lens.
          2. Turn on Profile Lens Correction.
          3. Select Default or Auto option.
          4. Choose "Save New Camera RAW Defaults" from the fly-out menu.

From now on, your photos shot with the D3 should get corrected automatically.

• 2. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
            Level 4

dorin_nicolaescu wrote:

That's because of camera defaults…

Just to avoid confusion, that should read: "That's because of Camera Raw defaults".  

• 3. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
              Lance Lenoir Level 1

I appreciate that info but that's not the issue.

When loading new images from either of my D3 cameras

I choose the correct lense option under 6.1 and nothing happens to my images.

I have to click the drop down menu and choose auto before anything is recognized

and Adjusted.

When I loaded my friends D700 images and clicked the lense correction button

it immediately recognized the lense and made corrections while the dropdown

was still set to default. I didn't have to click on the dropdown and choose auto.

Plus I don't want it auto correcting every single image in my camera raw default settings.

• 4. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

Did you try what I suggested in the first post?

• 5. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                  dorin_nicolaescu Level 5
                  ... but that's not the issue.

I think it is.

Plus I don't want it auto correcting every single image in my camera raw default settings.

Please, try this:

1. Load a new photo of your D3, shot with the desired lens.
                  2. Turn on Profile Lens Correction.
                  3. Select Default or Auto option.
                  4. Turn off Profile Lens Correction.
                  5. Choose "Save New Camera RAW Defaults" from the fly-out menu.

From now on, your photos shot with the D3 should get corrected automatically after you click the Lens correction button.

And yes, it's a bug in ACR RC's defaults.

• 6. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                    Lance Lenoir Level 1

Thanks Dorin,

Just wanted make sure it was a bug in the RC

• 7. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                      MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Lance, Camera Raw should be automatically finding the correct profile for your D3 and Nikkor lenses, once you click the "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" button. If you can provide an example NEF file of yours (taken with the D3 and, say, the 24-70 lens) I'd be happy to track down the issue. You can use YouSendIt.com with a target email address of madmanchan2000@yahoo.com.

• 8. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                        Level 4

Lance, any chance you've made the default specific to your camera's serial number?  Just wondering.

• 9. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

ACR does find his profile. His problem is different. I had this problem too on my D80.

By default, the should be something selected in the Lens settings list (Auto, Default or Custom). For some cameras, this list has nothing selected by default, therefore even clicking the auto correction check box does not trigger the automatic correction.

The trick is to save some default settings where that list has anything selected in it, even if the Lens correction check box is no checked.

• 10. Re: Auto Lenses Hiccup?
                            Lance Lenoir Level 1

Dorin you were correct, that fixed this issue. Just a bug in the RC.

Now when I load any image all I have to do is check the box and BAM

it reads all info and makes adjustments.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions though.

Lance