1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2018 2:59 AM by SuperMerlin

COM Reference in CS5 Missing

craneium

Does any body know what happened to the COM reference in visual studio 2008 for photoshop CS5, i just installed and my CS4 COM vanished and now there is no COM reference for photoshop CS5.

• 1. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
          Paul Riggott Level 6

I have filed a bug report about this, but no fix as yet.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
            craneium Level 1

so i am guessing i should file a bug report as well so i can be on the response list and move back to CS4

• 3. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
              Paul Riggott Level 6

That would be a good idea, you will need to uninstall CS5 and CS4 then re-install CS4 to get the COM back, bit of PITA.

• 4. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                Tom Ruark Adobe Employee

You should not need to reinstall to get the typelibraries going. Are you using the Object Library or the TypeLibrary for CS4 and CS

5? I found this web site that tells you to register a typelibrary this way:

Type Libraries
                Type libraries are binary files that contain all type information needed to utilize procedures and classes in a DLL. To register a type library, you can use regtlib.exe as follows:

1. Select Start » Run.

2. Type the following in the dialog box that appears:
                  C:\WINDOWS\system32\URTTemp\regtlib.exe  <Full path of .tlb file>
                  Where <Full path of .tlb file> is the location of your type library file.

In Visual Studio, I could select the browse button and load up my CS4 type library. I had the CS5 Object Library (ScriptingSupport) and the CS5 TypeLibrary (TypeLibrary.tlb) listed in my COM listing. I just clicked the Browse tab and loaded it that way for CS4.

• 5. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                  Paul Riggott Level 6

Thanks for that Tom, but I use the Object library and have searched the Net but haven't found any information on what the file is called, where it is located or how to install it. I do know there are a multitude of registry entries required though. It would be fantastic if there was a way of adding/removing the required Com as you need to run each version of Photoshop on a seperate machine or in a VM to be able to work with the different Photoshop versions.

• 6. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                    Tom Ruark Adobe Employee

H:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li it is a dll and hopefully the program will let it go with an 8li extension instead of dll.

• 7. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                      Paul Riggott Level 6

A bit of further digging looks like it should be regasm.exe as that is what is now supplied with .NET unfortunatly it reports that ScriptingSupport.8li is not a valid .Net assembly.

• 8. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                        William LaMartin Level 1

I have Visual Studio and Adobe CS4 and CS5 installed on a desktop computer and a laptop computer.  The desktop computer is running Windows XP Professional.  The laptop is running windows 7 professional 64-bit.

Everything is fine on the XP computer as regards the two Photoshop Com references.  On the Windows 7 computer I have the same problem as in this thread. 

I went looking for the file regtlib.exe on the Win 7 computer and could not find it.  There is also no C:\WINDOWS\system32\URTTemp directory.  But I did find the file regtlibv12.exe and ran the following from the command prompt and received a successful registration message:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\regtlibv12.exe "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\TypeLibrary.tlb"

However, this did not fix the problem, and there is still no entry in COM References for Photoshop.  The only thing I didn’t do is reboot the computer, but I don't think that should be necessary.

• 9. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                          craneium Level 1

Ok after i couple of Days of reading your Replys and Testing some of the COMs from CS4 it looks as though they have not changed much i am acutally using a CS4 COM on Indesign CS5 so a quick remedy to this problem is to go get any of the last version "interop.*adobe_app*.dll" and save those away and load them in, i am seeing that they are still working. but like my self i am sure you all want to be using the latest COMs and would like to see the reference in Visual Studio (i know it would make me feel better).

• 10. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                            William LaMartin Level 1

I don't understand your suggestion. 

On my XP computer where I have COM references for Photoshop CS4 and CS5 and everything is working fine in automating Photoshop via Visual Studio.  However, there are no interop files associated with Adobe that I can find on the computer via a search.

On my Windows 7 64-bit computer, were I cannot set any reference to an Adobe COM component for Photoshop CS4 or CS5, there is only one such interop file, and it is interop.AdobdPDFMakerX.dll

On the Windows 7 computer, as COM components, from Visual Studio I do have listed Adobe Illustrator CS4 & CS5 Type Libraries along with an Adobe InDesign CS4 Type Library but no InDesign CS5 library.  And nothing for Photoshop.

So there seems to be something different about the installation on Win 7 64-bit and Win XP. It would be interesting to know what others having these problems are using for operating systems.

An interesting point is that if I write a Photoshop automation Windows Forms program on the XP computer using Visual studio, then I can simply take the executable and run it on the Win 7 64-bit computer with no problem.

Message was edited by: William LaMartin

• 11. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                              craneium Level 1

In your project folder (your photoshop automation project) under bin\debug or obj\debug there should be an interop.photoshop.dll file. But as you can see I said should, which probably needs to be changed to "could", because at this point in time im not sure of anything except that Im probably wrong. But hey give it shot it might be there, that is were I found mine.

• 12. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                William LaMartin Level 1

You will only find the Interop.Photoshop.dll in a subfolder of your Visual Studio project if you have been allowed by Visual Studio to add a reference to the Photoshop COM component in the first place, I think.  Certainly there was no such file anywhere in on my Windows 7 64-bit computer.

However, you gave me an idea.  So, I looked in the same Visual Studio project on my Win XP computer, where I had been successful in adding a Photoshop reference--and I indeed did find the file, Interop.Photoshop.dll.  Well, I simply copied that file to my Win 7 computer and then from the VS project there browsed to find the file and add a reference to it and bingo everything worked with my Photoshop automation program.

However, Photoshop still does not show up as one of the COM reference options as, I think, you noted earlier.

Thanks, very much.

• 13. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                  swell741

Are you able to create the COM interop with the trial version?  I have tried to produce the interop library on WinXP SP2 with Visual Studio 2008 Pro using the trail version, but the COM library was not available.

• 14. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                    Paul Riggott Level 6

You need the COM library before you can create the interop, catch 22!

• 15. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                      swell741 Level 1

That is what I was trying to create.

But the COM reference was not available in my VS2k8Pro when I used the Trial version of photoshop.

I'll try and see if I can use my co-worker's WinVista computer and install VS2K8 on it since he has a license and see if that pops-up, but it would be easier if anyone can share how they managed to setup their enviroment.

Right now, I'm frustrated at how many hoops I had to go through to get an interop file.

• 16. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                        nicobi

Did someone had any success with this ? I have the same problem using Photoshop CS4. I tried two installations of CS4 on two different platforms (WinXP 64 bits), but the Object Library is still not present in the COM tab from Visual Basic.

• 17. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                          William LaMartin Level 1

I have posted to two files, Interop.Photoshop.dll and Interop.PhotoshopTypeLibrary.dll to my Skydrive account.  Go to the link

http://cid-46b00517087d3532.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=46B00517087D3532!114&Bpub=S DX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink and you can download them. I think you should only need the Interop.Photoshop.dll. Add a reference it in your Visual Studio project, and everything should work fine with automating Photoshop via Visual Studio.

• 18. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                            nicobi Level 1

Thanks a lot.

• 19. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                              nicobi Level 1

Err, how do I access to those files ?

• 20. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                William LaMartin Level 1

I assume you are using Microsoft Visual Studio's VB or CSharp to program against Photoshop.  If so, you simply add a reference to the Interop.Photoshop.dll.  Then  in VB, for example, you can do something link

Dim PS As New Photoshop.Application

Dim doc As Photoshop.Document

doc = PS.Open(Me.OpenFileDialog1.FileName)

etc.

• 21. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                  nicobi Level 1

No, that's OK, I understood this part (I had done a similar thing with CS3). What I meant, was that I am unable to access to your linked files, on the Microsoft web site.

• 22. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                    William LaMartin Level 1

Then I will attach them to this message.

• 23. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                      nicobi Level 1

Sorry to bother you again. Could you please, send the file at :

nico.bigeard@gmail.com ?

Thank you.

• 24. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                        Geoff Lester

Was wondering if anyone found any other way to get around this issue?

I didn't have any luck using previous built versions of the dll, my application just hangs when I try to create a COM photoshop instance.

If Adobe has replied that they don't intend to allow COM interop anymore, I'd like to know, because it is a fairly important part of our toolchain, and it will be quite some work to find an alternative solution, and it has really been a god send for automation.

I'd be happy to register the components myself, etc, if someone has found a way to do so!

• 25. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                          craneium Level 1

Sorry, I didnt post what i found, i did get contacted by a support tech from adobe but he gave me no information, just asked for what i had found. but anyway it looks like its all in the installer i have several different version cs4 design premium, cs5 design premium, cs4 master, cs5 master,cs5 web and they all seem to do a little differently my cs4 master collection does install all COM references cs5 design does not install all only illustrator COM. thats all i got so maybe pickup a different install and see if it works the compiled installs may be different i dont know its all so stressful, i will now have a bubble bath and then reclaim my manhood by eating pounds of MEAT.

• 26. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                            SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

Can you try running one of the sample VB scripts from the Scripting directory: c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Scripting\Sample Scripts\VBScript\

See if that corrects the bad path in a registry key.

thx,

steve

• 27. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                              William LaMartin Level 1

I ran the OpenDocument.vbs, and it opened the document in the LayerComps.psd document. But what does this prove?

• 28. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                SG... Adobe Employee

Hi,

On my XP SP3, I didn't see the Ps Object Library in COM before running the sample script. But after running the ApplyStyle.vbs and then launching VS 2008, I do see the Object library available.

I'm trying to find if this simple workaround corrects what appears to be an installer problem.

thx,

steve

• 29. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                  William LaMartin Level 1

I think you are on to something.  I now have Adobe Photoshop CS5 Object Library showing up in the available COM references in Visual Studio 2010. That was not the case before I ran one of the sample VB scripts in the scripting folder.

• 30. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                    SG... Adobe Employee

Thanks for reporting back, William.

Do you run with an admin account or standard user account? And do you have UAC turned on with your Win7 machine?

thx,

steve

• 31. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                      William LaMartin Level 1

I did your test on my desktop XP computer. Would you like me to do the same on my Win 7 laptop?  On the Win 7 laptop I run as an administrator, and I think UAC is turned on.

• 32. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                        SG... Adobe Employee

I would really appreciate if you could try it on your Win7 laptop. UAC is new to Vista and above, so having another data point outside of XP would be good.

thx,

steve

• 33. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                          William LaMartin Level 1

I may have misstated earlier.  Perhaps I already had the COM references showing on my desktop in Visual Studio and did not recall it.  I  unfortunately did not look before running the VBS scrip, only after. Because I just did the same thing on the Win 7 laptop, and it did not cause the com references to become available there.

• 34. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                            Geoff Lester Level 1

Thanks for looking into this further!

I've tried running a few of the VB scripts, and then looking for the COM references again, but no luck I'm afraid.

Some details on what I'm running, and have installed, etc:

Vista 32 (UAC enabled)

Photoshop CS4 Extended and CS5 Extended installed.

MS Visual C# 2010 and 2008 installed.

Cheers,

Geoff Lester

• 35. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                              SG... Adobe Employee

Hi William & Geoff,

Can you try turning UAC off, and see if that makes a difference?

thx,

steve

• 36. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                                William LaMartin Level 1

Turning off UAC on the Windows 7 laptop (then restarting Windows 7) and then running the OpenDocument.vbs script in my Photoshop CS5 Sample Scripts folder had the desired result.  Now when I open a project in Visual Studio 2010 and look and the available COM references, the Adobe Photoshop CS5 object Library and CS5 Type Library are now available.

I should note that after clicking on the OpenDocument.vbs and Photoshop opened, it took a very long time before the test document actually opened, which was not the case when I had earlier tried it with UAC on.  However, it turned out that another program was doing an update in the background, so this may have been what slowed things down and had nothing to do with whatever Photoshop may have been doing.

I also wonder why, since I received no message about changes when I had the UAC turned on, it would it have prevented the COM components being created.

Anyway, you have apparently discovered a way to have the COM Interop dlls generated.

• 37. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                                  SG... Adobe Employee

Hi William,

Yes, it looks like Ps has a problem correcting bad paths in the registry if UAC is enabled and/or the application is not executed with elevated priviledges. I have been looking at XP and Win7 32 bit for it's behavior. I still need to look at bit more at what the 64 bit OS does in these conditions.

So for the near term, it appears with Win 32 bit OSes that launching Ps using contextual menu option 'Run as administrator' will correct a bad registry key path (even with UAC on; this assumes user access to an administrator  account on the machine.). With the path fixed, the COM reference for Ps should appear.

We/Adobe still need to find which installers are setting the path incorrectly and get that sorted out.

thx for helping me test and confirm these findings!

regards,

steve

• 38. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                                    SG... Adobe Employee

Hi Geoff,

If you haven't already tried turning UAC off, there's a quicker way to workaround the problem.

Launch Ps with 'Run as administrator'. I haven't tried this with CS4 yet, but I bet the same silent failure is happening for each version. You should only need to do this once to get the path corrected. If you uninstall/reinstall the problem may appear again depending on the installer package.

thx,

steve

• 39. Re: COM Reference in CS5 Missing
                                                                                      William LaMartin Level 1

By the way, The win 7 I did this on was 64-bit

1 2 Previous Next