10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 8:33 AM by richhennosy

customize a video gallery

richhennosy

I have a video gallery that has 24 different videos to choose from. I am trying to find a way that a user can pick from the 24 to create a new customized list of videos to play. The idea is that a sales rep could choose the videos they want to show to a client and only show those videos. Currently the only way I can think of to do it is for me to edit the xml file with only the list of videos that they want. Maybe there is a way to pick the videos from a list, press an export list button that would then save over the xml file with a new xml file that only has the videos that they selected. I dunno. Got any ideas or advice?

Thanks,

Rich

• 1. Re: customize a video gallery
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can create an air app that lets reps edit their xml playlist in a rep-friendly interface.

• 2. Re: customize a video gallery
            richhennosy Level 1

Could you elaborate? I understand that I can save the file as an Adobe Air application, but I need some explanation on how to build it so that it will work.

Thanks,

Rich

• 3. Re: customize a video gallery

check the xml and related classes.   they have all the methods and properties needed to read, write and edit xml and with air, you can save files locally.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: customize a video gallery
                richhennosy Level 1

Yes, I just watched some videos on AIR from Lynda.com. I think this could work. I have a lot of work to do, but I think it might just work.

Thanks,

Rich

• 5. Re: customize a video gallery

you're welcome.

and, it will definitely work.  i've done much more using air to deploy on sales force computers.

• 6. Re: customize a video gallery
                    richhennosy Level 1

What about if I want to send the presentation that a sales rep has built with an AIR application. Does the client need to install AIR in order to watch it or can they just install the Presentation application that we created? That might be a problem.

• 7. Re: customize a video gallery

you don't send the presentation to anyone.  the reps make their own customized presentation for a particular customer and display it to the customer.

air is not needed for the display.

• 8. Re: customize a video gallery
                        richhennosy Level 1

Hmmm. Sounds like it may not work for me. We have to send these presentations out with proposals. Our sales rep won't be presenting.

Rich

• 9. Re: customize a video gallery

if your sales reps aren't presenting, who is?  and who's determining what should be shown to a particular customer, if not the sales rep?

• 10. Re: customize a video gallery
                            richhennosy Level 1

Here is the scenario. I build a presentation interface that has all 24 of the movies either in it or has the ability to load the movies into it. The sales representative picks only the movies that they want to show to a particular customer (maybe 6 of the 24). They then put the presentation on a CD and send it to the client. The sales rep has no working knowledge of Flash. Ideally this would be a web application, but I could live with a desktop application if it allows the sales representative to build a custom presentation and the client can view the presentation without installers.

The way I thought it would work until you mentioned AIR was the presentation would be built with an xml file that links to external movies. There would be an interface for the sales rep to pick the movies they want. They press a save button that would rewrite the xml file that the presentation interface calls from. This I think would work on the web. I am a little sketchy on the xml part. I don't know if flash could save over an existing xml file.

Thanks for your attention to this question.

Rich