8 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 8:54 PM by the_wine_snob

Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480

Fozziejenbear Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes this to happen....I have (2) 1-hour miniDV tapes that I captured into Premiere CS4; both were filmed in widescreen and my project settings were also in widescreen.  The 1st-hour file was fine, showed up as 720x480 when put on the timeline, but when I put the 2nd file on the timeline, it came in at 640x480.  During the capture it looked fine; nothing to give any hint something was wrong.  I tried closing out the project and reopening it to see if that would do anything, which it didn't, so I started a brand new project with the same settings and now the file is fine again, back to 720x480.  Is it just some random mishap I can't control?

Thanks,

Jen

• 1. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
          shooternz Level 6

How did you check the "Properties" of the clips when in

the original project where you observed the issue?

• 2. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
            Fozziejenbear Level 1

Hi,

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but I just looked in the Projects tab where it says Movie, 720x480.  Other than that, I just dragged the avi file to the timeline, and when it didn't take up the screen in the Program tab, I concluded something was wrong.  And actually, since I first wrote, I mentioned that I started a new project to capture the footage again; I captured a short piece and dragged it into the timeline to see how it would look and it was fine.  I proceeded to capture the rest of the video, but towards the end there was a record error, so I took whatever it captured so far, and then went back to record the last part.  Just now I put the 2 files on the timeline and again, the first part I captured went back to 640x480 but the 2nd part is just fine.

Jen

• 3. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jen,

It sounds as though the PAR is not being read correctly, and that part of your footage is being seen as PAR = 1.0 (Square Pixels).

For the "offending" footage, can you use Interpret Footage and set the footage's PAR to 1.212 (for 16:9)? Does that work properly? Be sure to look at the resulting images, to make sure that it is not "stretched" horizontally.

Note: you can also use Interpret Footage to see what PrPro thinks your footage is, in all respects.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Curious: what is your answer to Craig's question?  How do you know Premiere thinks it is 640x480?  And re Hunt's question, what par does Premiere think it is.

I would also check the actual file on disk with Gspot.

I do think Hunt's suggestion is your quickest workaround, but this is odd.

• 5. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
                  Fozziejenbear Level 1

Hi,

Okay, now I think I understand what I was supposed to look for in the properties...the "offending" footage did say 720x480 (0.9091) while the 2nd file I captured that was fine did say 720x480 (1.2121).  I did use Hunt's suggestion to change the Interpret Footage and it looks OK, not stretched (comparing to 2nd file).  The way the (0.9091) file was showing in the Program window - short width wise - is how I assumed Premiere was making it 640x480 (sorry, I don't know any shorter size that 640x480, so that was the best way I could describe it).

How do you check the file on disk with Gspot?  I'm not familiar with it.

In the future, is there any way to confirm that Premiere is capturing my footage as 1.212 before finding out at the end when it's done recording?

Thank you everyone!

Jen

• 6. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jen,

G-SPOT is a great, free AV file utility, for getting the full properties of an AV file. It works almost perfectly with AVI's, and nearly so with MPEG's. It works less well with some flavors of MOV and also WMV's, but there are other utilities that handle those a bit better.

To use G-Spot, one downloads and installs it. When launched, it will first survey one's system for installed CODEC's. This takes a moment. When done, just drag an AV file from Windows Explorer to the G-Spot GUI and it will process the file. First operation is to provide the full details of the file, as G-Spot reads it, including the various flags.

This shows about what you will see with the file in the program:

G-Spot_Screen_01.jpg

That graphic was for some Audio questions, but you will get the idea.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
                      Fozziejenbear Level 1

Thanks again Hunt!  I will download that program.

• 8. Re: Widescreen AVI File Changes To 640x480
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Even if it does not solve your immediate issue, it is a great utility to have handy. I probably recommend it more than any other.

Good luck,

Hunt