5 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 7:39 PM by R-Cole

Method for adding blur to part of the frame

R-Cole Level 1

Good Day to everyone.

I am editing a project that consists of 2 camera angles shot from an HVX (720 24pn) and a (DVX 24pa Squeeze). One of the angles has someone in the background that I would like to soften so they are a little less distracting. Normally I would take the clip and add a mask in AE and add a blur to the bottom layer. But I am 75% into cutting this project which is 45 minutes long and don't know how to use AE and still have everything in sync.

There should be a way for me to create a mask of some sort and do this in Premiere (CS4) but I just can't think of how. I don't know if I need to use a matte, or a mask or if this involves the alpha channels or where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction of how to do this? The footage is of a 4 person panel discussion sitting at a table so there is very little motion within the frame. I think I have seen ways of doing this using digital juice mattes so it should be possible to create something for this. I am all searched out so any help will be huge.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Cole 

• 1. Re: Method for adding blur to part of the frame
          shooternz Level 6

Can you post up a frame  or screen grab of the shot.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Method for adding blur to part of the frame
            R-Cole Level 1

Pm'd Screen Grab (usage rights prevent posting)

• 3. Re: Method for adding blur to part of the frame
              shooternz Level 6

I saw the screen grab.

Basically a two shot with one person more in foreground than the other (ie.shot on an angle instead of directly from the front).  Foreground person is slightly soft focus and the other person is sharp and slightly on the edge of frame.   Not sure exactly which one you wish to "blur" or the extent of the blur.  I suspect you wish to defocus one or the other more than blur them as in a "Crime Scene" type look.

Maybe of no help but Magic Bullets Looks has a great tool that would work perfectly for this.  "Shift Tilt Lens."

I am also not sure how much movement camera or the people have in the frame.

Start here

A simple (crudish) way would be to duplicate the video clip and place one exactly match framed above the other.  Draw a Garbage Matte on the top layer loosely around one of the people.  Apply Fast Blur or Camera Blur and maybe a subtle darkening to one or the other clips.

Be careful where you draw the Matte.  You can not soften the edge of the matte(or invert it)  as you would be able to in AEFX.  You can animate the matte to follow movement.

Let us know how you get on.

• 4. Re: Method for adding blur to part of the frame
                R-Cole Level 1

Thanks again for the suggestion and Email.

I was going to use a simple garbage matte but wanted the soft edge I would be able to achieve in AE. That is why I was hoping to create a matte and have it feathered. I thought I had read about a method to take a screen grab and turn the part I want to keep (soft focus girl in foreground) into an alpha matte and key out the rest. Similar to if I used the alpha mattes included in the Digital Juice toolkits. I just can't seem to track down the method or get it right on my own.

I am not sure what will happen if I try to do this after cutting this into hundreds of clips in my PP timeline. It won't kill me to leave it as is but I know I will need this method down the road and I am sure it can be done. Next time I will need to think about this in advance and mask it in AE before I cut it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cole

• 5. Re: Method for adding blur to part of the frame
                  shooternz Level 6

Here ya go

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/2d_depth_of_field/

otherwise MB Looks shift tilt

Good luck

1 person found this helpful