3 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 5:35 AM by Steve Grisetti

Standard 8mm film to 30fps - Pre8

dennisbthomas

I'm using Pre 8 so that's why I'm posting to this forum. If there is a better forum please let me know.

I have many reels of std 8mm film that has been converted to DV as .avi file. The attributes of the video portion of the .avi are:

Video
      ID                               : 0
      Format                           : DV
      Format_Commercial_IfAny          : DVCPRO
      Codec ID                         : dvsd
      Codec ID/Hint                    : Sony
      Duration                         : 55mn 29s
      Bit rate mode                    : Constant
      Bit rate                         : 24.4 Mbps
      Width                            : 720 pixels
      Height                           : 480 pixels
      Display aspect ratio             : 4:3
      Frame rate mode                  : Constant
      Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
      Standard                         : NTSC
      Color space                      : YUV
      Chroma subsampling               : 4:1:1
      Bit depth                        : 8 bits
      Scan type                        : Interlaced
      Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 2.357
      Stream size                      : 11.2 GiB (97%)

I have beent old that I need to convert the frame rate to the original frame rate of the 8mm film, which I don't know.

In viewing the DVD NTSC Standard output most of the video doesn't look bad but some frames are blurred especially when the camera is moving and some frames appear to jump (missing a frame or two)  from time to time.

The questions I have are:

1. Is there anything that can be done in PRE 8 to make the video better?

2. If not are there other programs that would help?

3. Or is this as good as it gets?

Thanks for you help.

Dennis

• 1. Re: Standard 8mm film to 30fps - Pre8
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your specs look great and -- assuming you had this "telecine" done by someone who knows what they're doing -- it's probably as good as it gets.

8mm film was really a pretty low quality medium. Even Super 8. The camera usually shot through a fixed focus lens. The film stock itself didn't have very good definition. And it's also pretty likely that the film has faded over the years.

I don't know that using any of the color correction and sharpening tools in Premiere Elements will enhance it much. At least not enough to make it worth the effort.

It is what it is.

• 2. Re: Standard 8mm film to 30fps - Pre8
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Because of the grain structure, especially in 8mm (split-16mm), one Effect that I would explore is Neat Video. There is a trial, and I would download and experiment with that. I use it quite a bit, especially for underexposed VHS tapes. After I get the best setting, I will then add a tiny bit of Sharpening. In PrPro, I rely on the Unsharp Mask, but do not think that PrE has that particular Effect. If not, then a very small degree of Sharpening will suffice. Do not overdo this Sharpening.

I also find that Three-Way Color Corrector is useful, but I believe that you will be limited to Auto Color in PrE.

My normal Effects "kit" is Levels, Highlight & Shadow, Three-Way Color Corrector, Neat Video and Unsharp Mask, in that order. One is limited in PrE to just the Auto versions of some of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Standard 8mm film to 30fps - Pre8
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Dennis, please don't post the same question more than once on this forum. It's very confusing.

There are additional comments posted under your other thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/646678?tstart=0