5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 9:16 PM by the_wine_snob

CS5 crashes after splash screen

The Hairgod Level 1

Every time I load my CS5 Application it crashes right after the splash screen. The log says:

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Application Specific Information:

*** error for object 0x10f1f6e00: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

Any suggestions on how to get past this?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB

Memory: 12 GB

Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)

• 1. Re: CS5 crashes after splash screen
          The Hairgod Level 1

Ok, so if this happens to you here is the solution:

The problem relates to the installed fonts you have. There is no way of knowing exactly which one it is without trial and error enabling and disabling. What worked for me was using a font-managing software like Font Book and having it validate all your fonts. From there delete or disable any questionable ones with errors. Not all fonts with errors create this problem, so it is possible to re-introduce fonts and isolate the one(s) that cause the crash.

• 2. Re: CS5 crashes after splash screen
            The Hairgod Level 1

Thanks to Adobe support the solution was quickly resolved.

• 3. Re: CS5 crashes after splash screen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for reporting the fix. Do you recall the fonts that caused your issue? The reason that I ask is that Jeff Bellune has reported that at least one of the Sun MicroSystems' OpenOffice fonts, Deja Vu, causes PrPro's Titler to crash, even though it is not corrupt. Might be helpful to other users, just as your fix will be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS5 crashes after splash screen
                The Hairgod Level 1

No, I simply disabled the questionably corrupt fonts that Font Book highlighted.  Since I have over 1000 fonts on my system I didn't go back and isolate the one(s) that were an issue. Should I run into a situation where I may have used it somewhere, I can  easily re-enable it at that time. I would suggest Jeff use a font management program. This would allow him to very easily test his theory by enabling and disabling suspect fonts while recreating the crash scenario.

• 5. Re: CS5 crashes after splash screen
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Got you.

As one, who has 13,000+ fonts on my workstation, I completely agree. Fortunately, with Font Doctor on my PC, all are just fine, and managed by Extensis Suitcase, so I seldom have more than about 1,000 installed at any one time. Even PrPro's Titler, which is one of the most font-sensitive applications imaginable, I have never had an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt