5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2010 8:45 AM by Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver CS4 locks up for 5-10 secs at a time

tdriley Level 1

Hi,

We are having this strange problem with Dreamweaver CS4. When coding, Dreamweaver CS4 just freezes for a few seconds, then works fine for a few mins, then does it again. If I keep typing when it's frozen, the Dreamweaver window changes to a faded white color, then comes alive again.

Needless to say this is extremely annoying when coding and want to fix it. There are two developers here both having the same problem with DW CS4. We are working on the same local site root on our network but can't see how that should be a problem.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

T

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 locks up for 5-10 secs at a time
          tdriley Level 1

Just to add more detail, we are both on DW CS4 for Windows. One on Vista 32 one on XP 32.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 locks up for 5-10 secs at a time
            Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

We are having this strange problem with Dreamweaver CS4. When coding, Dreamweaver CS4 just freezes for a few seconds, then works fine for a few mins, then does it again. If I keep typing when it's frozen, the Dreamweaver window changes to a faded white color, then comes alive again.

Needless to say this is extremely annoying when coding and want to fix it. There are two developers here both having the same problem with DW CS4. We are working on the same local site root on our network but can't see how that should be a problem.

It sounds like you might have your Site's Local folder defined on a Network Drive. If that's the case, try using a local hard drive.

There were some specific cases that were fixed for working on Networks drives in DW CS5, so give try 30-day trial to see if that helps.

Regards,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 locks up for 5-10 secs at a time
              tdriley Level 1

We are using a network drive as the local root, but just tried installing the CS5 trial, it was just the same (if not worse).

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 locks up for 5-10 secs at a time
                tdriley Level 1

Finally solved this -

It was happening because I'd put in the shared network drive as my local site folder. If you want to have your local site on a network drive, you have to map that drive as a drive in Windows, then use the path to that mapped drive in Dreamweaver's local site settings. This was in Windows Vista, not sure about other versions.

Dreamweaver performance + 200%

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS4 locks up for 5-10 secs at a time
                  Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Finally solved this -

It was happening because I'd put in the shared network drive as my local site folder. If you want to have your local site on a network drive, you have to map that drive as a drive in Windows, then use the path to that mapped drive in Dreamweaver's local site settings. This was in Windows Vista, not sure about other versions.

Dreamweaver performance + 200%

Thank you for the follow up post!

Randy