20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 5:12 AM by Steve Grisetti

Green Screen ++ Need HELP!

minni-T

Hey!

I'm pretty new at Premiere Elements 8, and I have a problem. You all know about that red small line that show up over clips/adios etc. mine turnes green all the time and then the clips wont show.. Also then it's like 'lagging' at one point all the time. It acctually lagg at one point very often..

Another thing is that over all my clips it comes this green 'overview'. Like I'm watching the clip through a green blanket or something, and it makes it really hard to se what I'm doing.

I've tried to uninstal it and reinstaled it several times, I've looked for help and I don't knwo what to do! This preimere was expensive and I don't know what I can do to fix this problem.

Pleas can someone help me?!

~T

• 1. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Are you working with the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch) version? Is Background feature and AutoAnalyzer features disabled? What is the Premiere Elements Project Preset (new project dialog) that you are using?

Need look more details, specifically about the source, format, duration of those video clips (brand, model camcorder), but.... What is the magnification that you are using in the Edit Mode Monitor, Fit or 100% or other?

Leading look ats:

1. Premiere Elements 8.0.1 workspace, Edit Menu, Preferences, General. Remove the check mark next to Enable GPU Playback and see if that makes a difference.

2. If the source of your video is a JVC camcorder, the odds are good that you might be importing .mod files that need conversion. If .mod, are they 4:3 or 16:9 .mod?

Let us start here.

ATR

• 2. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
            minni-T Level 1

I'm working in Elements 8.0.

I can't find any workspace.. I don't think I got very much of what you were trying to explain.. but it does look kinda like this:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z99qj4.jpg

~T

• 3. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

From your screen cap, it's impossible to see what your video sources are. What type of camcorder did this video come from?

If these are still photos, have you resized the photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum?

Have you gone to Windows Update and ensured you have even the non-critical hardware updates for your system? Have you gone to Apple.com and ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

Also, from your description it sounds as though Background Rendering is turned on. It will turn off by default when you update Premiere Elements by going to the Help menu and selecting Check for Updates. Otherwise, turn it off under Edit/Preferences.

• 4. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The most likely cause is an out of date video driver. What video card do you have, and what is the version of the driver? I would check the mfgr's. site for a later version.

This ARTICLE and the links in it will give you some details, and some other ideas too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                  minni-T Level 1

I'm not sure about that Windows Update stuff, and I don't have Appel.

But do you mean what I use to record the video clips? I use Auto Screen recorder 3.0 free.

There's no stilphotos, it's just clips, but sometimes a few of the clips go back to normal, but uasy it turnes all green again fast..

What do I click on after gone to Edit-->Preferences? and what do I do when I've clicked on the right stuff?

~T

• 6. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!

Per the instructions on the box, Quicktime is required in order for Premiere Elements to run, even if you're on a PC. I urge you to ensure you download it and keep it up to date.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

I would also recommend you keep your Windows up to date by manually going to Windows Update and getting even the non-critical updates. This will help ensure your drivers and firmware are up to date, as Neale and Bill are recommending, T.

We also need to know about the technicalities of the video you're working with in order to help you further.

You are most likely not going to be able to successfully edit and output video from those Auto Screen recordings in Premiere Elements because, although it creates AVI files, it most likely does not create DV-AVIs. This means that, even if you can get things looking good in Premiere Elements, it's likely you'll have problems when you output your DVD or other video file.

In other words, you've got a number of issues going on here, T. I'm not sure there is an easy solution.

• 7. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not familiar with Auto Screen Recorder, or the files created by it. If you do not have the full specs. of those files, then the great, free utility, G-SPOT, will give you that info. If you could post a screen-cap from G-Spot, with one of those files open in it, we can see what you are working with. This is a look at the G-Spot GUI with an AV file open:

G-Spot_Screen_02.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Though different programs, Camtasia & CamStudio do video screen-capture. There might be some tips in this ARTICLE, that would prove helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Minni-T

I will go for the quickest and easest thing (maybe the most productive) for you to check out and rule in or out. The following has been known to solve a similar problem. But always remember that problems may have the same symptoms but have different causes.

So, I will offer one possible fix at a time, depending on your results:

For Now,

Please refer to your screenshot which was excellent....go to the Edit Menu as shown in that Screenshot.

Under Edit Menu, click on Preferences, and then General.

Under General, you will find numerous options. Go down the list and in the place where its says "Enable GPU Playback" make sure that there is NO check mark next to it. Close out of there and go back to the workspace from where you came.

What does your Timeline look like now when it is played back in that Edit Mode Monitor?

ATR

• 10. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                            minni-T Level 1

I have Quicktime.

I don't know what you mean about "the technicalities of the video"..

I probably could change recorder, if you have any suggestion to make.. And It kinda have to be free..    

~T

• 11. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Minni-T

I was going to wait for your answer to my last question, but I think I will inject this comment now.

Assuming that unchecking "Enable GPU Playback" does not solve your issue, then I suggest that we try to iron out the difficulty (Green Monitor Display) by looking at how you created your AutoScreen video. The Internet is loaded with all sorts of information on that program that I had never heard of before this.

http://wisdom-soft.com/kb/faq_asr.htm#framerate

Knowing what type of .avi file you created would put us all in right direction. The gspot software is one way to get that information by putting your .avi into the program and reading the properties VIDEO CODEC NAME STATUS. But quicker yet, if you remember what choice you made in creating the video....

In the AutoScreen Recorder Video Editor

File Menu

Save As AVI

A Video Compression dialog should have appeared. What did you select as the compression? Was it something like Xvid MPEG-4, etc?

ATR

• 12. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                minni-T Level 1

Um, I didn't get very much of that last one, but the other answerd helped. I'm not sure what I accsacly did.. x] but it's gone now so.

Thank you all for your help! I'm really really thank full!! =D

I know where to turn when I need help form now on

Btw; Sorry if I may asked a lot of stupid questing about what you said cuz english isn't my first laguage really and i'm 16 years old

Anyways, thank you, thank you, thank you ^^

~minni-T

• 13. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

minni-T

I am very proud of you for taking time to learn and try to master Premiere Elements. The program can be a challenge for a person of any age. And, video from certain sources can be a problem that needs special consideration and help.

I hope that the information received will get you moving in the right direction.

If it will help in this situation, let me know your native language and I will try to answer in your native language with the help of Google Translate.

Good luck.

ATR

• 14. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In the quest to learn PrE, Steve Grisetti's Basic Training at Muvipix might be useful. He also has several books on the program and an entire Learning Series there.

This ARTICLE links to a Glossary of Video Terms, that might be useful too. It is a very good place to start.

Good luck, and happy editing.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                      minni-T Level 1

Thanks a lot, my native language is Norwegian.

I'm just wonderin' does any of you have a example for a good screen recording program or something similar? that can be downloaded free?

-T

• 16. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I see recommendations for CamStudio. I have never used it, but it seems to be an open source program, rather like TechSmith's Camtasia.

Though I might have posted this ARTICLE before, it might be useful, when dealing with material from CamStudio.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one of our frequent contributors to the PrPro Forum, Dag Norum is also from Norway. Now, he did marry (and steal away to some Northern clime) a lovely US lady... but we've forgiven him.

• 17. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

minni-T

With the help from Goggle Translate, I am going to suggest that you look at the free Windows Media Encoder for screen capturing. I have tried Camtasia products and found them excellent, but very expensive for me.

Fra personlig erfaring, har jeg funnet Camtasia produktene å være utmerket for skjermen fanger. Men for meg er de svært dyre .. om $ 300 dollar i USA.

Det er et gratis alternativ fra Microsoft som heter "Windows Media Encoder". Vennligst ta en titt på beskrivelsen i følgende link

http://www.smallbusinesswebsite.com/public/395.cfm

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/howto/articles/screencap.aspx

ATR

• 18. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                            nealeh Level 5

Steve,

What screen recorder is it that you use for your Muvipix tutorials, and do you post process them in PRE?

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale
                                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 19. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!
                                              nealeh Level 5

A.T. Romano wrote:

I am going to suggest that you look at the free Windows Media Encoder for screen capturing.

But be quick. Microsoft are discontinuing this in the "first half of 2010" (i.e.this month) and replacing it with Microsoft Expression that does not look to have a free version.

Cheers,
                                              --
                                              Neale
                                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 20. Re: Green Screen ++ Need HELP!

Thte tutorials are created entirely in Camtasia 5, Neale.