8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 3:48 PM by laughed@bytime

ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5

gaspedalo

Hi, we usually work a lot with after effects and in the end we render out still image sequences that we cut in premiere. With CS3 we always had an ugly experience with playing back those file sequences so we almost always pre-rendered them. That's no fun but at least you get an idea of the final movie.

I tried CS5 and I see that there is a yellow line bar above the sequence and it doesn't playback at all. And what really bugs me, it doesn't pre-render anymore. What gives? Am I doing something wrong here? I use Jpg sequences (save space and look good thow). What file formats do you use, and what sequence preset is best for working with still image sequences?

Daniel

• 1. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
          gaspedalo Level 1

Guys!? Nobody here works with still image sequences only? Please tell me how you do it...

• 2. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
            rejdmast1 Level 2

I just put an uncompressed 1920 x1080 .tga sequence in CS5 and got the yellow bar like you did.  Mine played although it was stuttering badly.

You're right, it won't let you render.

I went into Modify > Interpret Footage and marked "Ignore Alpha Channel".  The bar turned green and the sequence plays smoothly in real time now.

Let us know how you make out.

• 3. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to understand the meaning of the colored bars:

-Media matching  the sequence with a simple codec has no bar. This should play realtime.
              -Media with an expensive codec, with accelerated effects, or mismatching  the sequence has a yellow bar. This will probably play realtime.
              -Media with unaccelerated effects or other non-trivial software  processing has a red bar. This probably will not play realtime.
              -Rendered previews have a green bar.

You can still use "Sequence/ Render entire work area" to force a full render.

• 4. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If  you have a yellow line and you want it to render: hit

Render Entire Work Area.

• 5. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
                  gaspedalo Level 1

I made a test on my laptop (which is the worst case). I put out jpg, png and tga sequences. With tga I get something like 3fps, png maybe 2 or 1, the jpg sequence just gives out the first and the last image of my short sequence. As you suggest I ignore the alpha, then the bar gets red and I cn pre-render. Without pre-rendering jpg and png sequences are still unviewable (maybe even worse than before), the tga sequence does make a slightely better performance. So my conclusion to this is that the file format s crucial in a first place.

I just draged the footage over the 'create sequence' button and premiere automatically created a sequence with the avhc preset (the first in the list). Maybe this part might be from importance too. So that leads me to two questions: 1. What is the ideal file format for working with hd image sequencen and 2. does the sequence presets make any difference

Please share your experiences.

• 6. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
                    laughed@bytime Level 1

I've tried ad nauseum multilpe formats. It won't even play psd sequences smoothly. CS4 plays fine though. My computer is an HP Z800 with dual quad core xeons and 25 gigs of ram and nvidia quadro fx 5800. It meets the specs for CS5 and exceeds them. As for turning off the alpha, I should't have too. Especially if I'm just doing some simple comping and I need it. CS5 support for image sequences has always been broken and buggy and I can get no real reply from Adobe concerning it. I keep hoping each update will address it but so far a no go.

Sorry I have no answers or help. Just one more voice to chorus of users who need this functionalty.

• 7. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

cygnusx9,

Have you installed the recent updates? There were some performance improvements for handling of still images in the recent updates, especially 5.0.2.

• 8. Re: ideal hd image sequence to work with premiere cs5
                        laughed@bytime Level 1

Hi,

Yes i'm running 5.03. I install updates almost the minute they're available. And while it improved the performance of a single videotrack sequence it's still slow compared to CS4. And the second I add the next sequence to be comped on top, it doesn't play at all. Can't even really scrub throught the timeline. Sure I can render the work area, but I thought the point of the new render engine was to not have to do that so much.