18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2011 3:05 AM by Brambambam

Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder

jojjjiii

Hello!

Is it possible to disable local folder from Sites? I would like to use FTP function like in CS4, I think it saved the remote files into a temporary directory. So my problem is, I don't want to see the remote server files in the local drives, is it possible?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
          jojjjiii Level 1

pc.PNG

This is what I dont like ^^^

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
            goastrosgo

Seeing the lack of response, I'm guessing there's no solution. I too am bugged by this change forcing me to have a local site.

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
              Pedromvpg Level 1

somebody please answer this! it is really annoying..

Or at least try explain whats the use of saving files both on the local drive and on the server while working on a web-site.

Either you use one or the other, who's going to use the two?

Not even good for backing up the files since its always overwriting them.

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Best practice is usually to use two. It's not good to treat your website server like a fileshare by working on the live files on the server. You could easily break your website while you're working on it.

CS5 has acknowledged this by removing the option to work directly on the live files.

Dreamweaver has always promoted having a full local copy of what's on the server.

The idea is that you edit the local files, preview them and test them. Rinse, repeat. Once they're tested and validated, you then upload them to the server.

The local files can double as backup for the remote files.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                  WarithNiallah Level 1

John,

You are missing the point.  I think what is being said is developers are being forced into a mind set.  I too would like the local site option removed like in CS4.  I appreciate all the good info you have indicated, but Developers are adults and can handle consequences of choices, we just want the choices to REMAIN and not be forced.

Thinking globally, sometimes we edit hundreds of sites, and we don't want our laptops CLUTTERED with local copies of sites.

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder

To the contrary, I fully understand the point.

The simple answer is, no. I assume Adobe's product and market research has indicated that they should drop this feature in CS5.

Novices are sometimes caught out by setting up the wrong site definition, uploading incorrectly coded changes to their live site, breaking their site and losing any form of backup in the process.

Perhaps the option you are seeking could be buried somewhere in advanced options to avoid novices being caught out.

Submit a request to Adobe to have the feature reinstated:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                      goastrosgo Level 1

sorry John, I'm with team WarithNiallah on this one. Sooner or later adobe needed to ask themselves "are we creating software for novices or professionals"? there are too many basic solutions available to have adobe designing software out of worry  that novices are setting up their sites incorrectly. Talk about letting the tail wag the dog. It is so annoying now having to store all these sites now on my local machine.

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder

I hear you.

Submit a request to Adobe to have the feature reinstated:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                          WarithNiallah Level 1

I submitted the request. Hopefully Adobe will bring it back.  This would make editing multiple sites across multiple servers much easier.  Also, some companies do not want developers/designers to have local copies of files on laptops/PCs because of NDA issues, security, etc., and many times there are staging areas, and development areas where developers make changes.  You sometimes have IT departments especially in public sector or DOD that set up these environments for you, so a local copy introduces more issues than it could solve possibly.

I think we all are making excellent points, but I like having the choice especially in professional grade software like CS5.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                            ST.Spitty

Bring back the choice just taken me the last hour to do a local copy of one website (only another 20 to go)... guess it is kinda cool and makes good practise! but very annoying!! apart from this... there are some brilliant new features!

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                              ST.Spitty Level 1

Actually playing with the ftp for last 15 mins and you dont need to create a local copy... just select remote view on the drop down list instead of local after you have created the new website (you local view will update with what files you look at) and you can edit live as normal.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                MurraySummers Level 8

Not really.  When you double click on a file in the remote view, it is first downloaded into a local folder, and edited from that location.  To see your edits, you'd have to upload it.

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                  DavidMozer

John Walker is 100% correct -- "Best practise  is usually to use two.  It's not good to treat your website server like a fileshare by working on the live files on the server. You could easily break your website while you're working on it."

There are far too many network issues to overcome --- follow the best practise, that is why its called Best Practise.

Best Practise -- Edit the local files, preview them and test them. Rinse, repeat. Once they're tested and validated, synchronize with the remote web server.

If you do not follow the best practise you deserve the consequences.

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                    adkguy

While I generally agree with David and John that testing locally is optimal - especially when relying on novices to create content within their departments - it is interesting that Adobe Contribute CS5 does not appear to have an option to allow those novices to work on local files and then post them to the server after testing. Instead Contribute seems to only allow working on the active files on the server. While I generally trust myself to make minor changes by shortcutting the "best practice", I'd really rather that my novice users be forced to edit the local files!

I realize this is outside the scope of this particular forum question, but has anyone been able to get Contribute CS5 to work on local files and then post to a remote server? The Contribute forums have been no help so far.

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                      DavidMozer Level 1

My comment was strictly related to building websites using the Dreamweaver Integrated Development Environment and not specific to rudimentary Content Management modules like Contribute. I view Contribute as more of an end-user tool to update content only and having nothing to do with site design - redesign or site architecture.

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                        roattw Level 1

I have to agree with erring on the side of choice.  I have grown a little tired of entities (software, devices, government ;^) trying to think for me and making up my mind for me.  Making it an option would be much preferred, and satisfy a larger customer base I would suspect.

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                          ENT-Matt

Wow, I can't believe I didn't find this thread sooner.  I've actually been struggling to get CS4 set up the way I want, NOT using a local cache.  I've been pestering the forum trying to find out if it's easier to disable synchronization and dependent files in CS5.  Now I learn they've only made it more impossible to work with live data??  I will definitely put the freeze on our department upgrading to CS5.

I'm sorry, but I agree that "Best Practices" should be a choice.

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 - Disable Local Folder
                                            Brambambam

So in CS4 it is not available either? What about CS3?