10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 1:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Aliasing issue

JBrown321 Level 1

I have noticed that Premiere will not display or render an image correctly when adding effects to an image. For example, if I take a jpeg and apply a drop shadow, the edges get all funcky. Also if I render the jpeg for preview, it turns the edges into a wierd aliasing issue. If I play the timeline before it's rendered for preview it's fine, but it only happens after I render the preview.  When I add an effect like drop shadow and possibly others, it causes the image to degrade. Why is this? Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Aliasing issue
          JBrown321 Level 1

It appears to only happen when I scale an image or movie.  Premiere doesn't have as good scling as like AE does, but when I turn on the effect in the video effects tab, it make the aliasing horible. When I turn the effect off, it's not too bad.  If I don't scale the image or movie at all and then add an effect like a drop shadow, it looks fine.  So I cannot scale an image in Premiere and add an effect to it or it will distroy the resolution. What is going on?

• 2. Re: Aliasing issue
            JBrown321 Level 1

Logo_Scaled 5%_Drop Shadow Added.jpgHere is a logo that has a drop shadow added and has been scaled down slightly. Can you see how  the aliasing is very bad?

• 3. Re: Aliasing issue
              JBrown321 Level 1

Logo_Origional Size_No Effects.jpgAnd here is the untouched, unscaled logo render. Much cleaner edges.

• 4. Re: Aliasing issue
                JBrown321 Level 1

Logo_Scaled 5%_Drop Shadow Added.jpgSorry, the first image didn't load right.  This is with the drop shadow and a slight scaling down of the image. Noticed how the edges look pretty bad.

• 5. Re: Aliasing issue
                  JBrown321 Level 1

Logo_Scaled with Drop Shadow Added.jpg Sorry, I don't know why the other image is not coming in right.  I also don't see a place in here to delete replies so sorry for the sloppyness. I will try and upload the image with the aliasing issues again. If you can see the image, this is the one with the effect applied. See the nasty aliasing?

• 6. Re: Aliasing issue
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why no make it the right size to begin with in Photoshop.

• 7. Re: Aliasing issue
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Ann. The Scaling algorithms in PrPro are not the greatest, as you have found. AE is better, and I think that you will find PS to be even better, and allow a lot more control.

For a Drop Shadow, I would also suggest doing that on a Layer in PS (better results and more control), and then doing a Save_As PSD, and Importing that properly Scaled PSD into PrPro. If you do not need to animate the Drop Shadow, just choose Footage with the Layers Flattened. If you do wish to animate the Drop Shadow, you can Import as a Sequence and the Layers will be separate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Aliasing issue
                        JBrown321 Level 1

Thanks for the help.  I guess it's just too bad one can't scale an image in premiere without it doing that to the image.  Sometimes you need to see your logos or images in context to other logos or edits you have made.  Being able to scale the logo and position in your editor is almost always something we as editors do.  Premiere needs to fix this so we can scale and animate quick segments without having to leave the ap and for them to look clean too.

• 9. Re: Aliasing issue
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can Dynamic Link to Photoshop very easily.

• 10. Re: Aliasing issue
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Because I am on PrPro 2.0, I just do a Frame Capture and use that as my guide in PS, remembering to turn OFF Visibility for that Layer, before I Save_As PSD. I also use the Grids for positioning, and even have a set of those that I use in PrPro w/ Titler, or for locating things like PiP. I do not have ADL between PS and PrPro - yet.

A tiny bit of Scaling in PrPro is usually OK, but I find that if one does much, things just do not translate that well.

Also, in PS, one can choose options like Bicubic Smoother, or Sharper, depending on the subject matter.

Good luck,

Hunt