8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 7:51 AM by SpaghettiCoder

Any good books?

SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Are there any good Flash Builder / Flex 4 books around?  Seems most of the books out are for beginners.

What would be the best place for non-beginner stuff? tv.adobe.com and blogs?

Lots more articles and stuff done with actionscript and flash, how transferable is the code for a flex user?

• 1. Re: Any good books?
          skider

So far the resources that have been most useful for me are Codedependent (Chet Haase's blog) and Alex's Flex Closet (Alex Harui's blog). Depending on what your focus is, you might find some of the other Flex Team member's blogs to be more useful. Here's a list of all the Flex Team's blogs.

If you're interested in finding out about new developments in Flex, I would recommend the Flex Show podcast. It has interviews with lots of Flex developers, many of whom are creating interesting frameworks and components that might fit your development.

I don't know of that many higher level Flex books, but if you're interested in graphics, Chet Haase just wrote a book called Flex 4 Fun, which is currently available in PrePrint Edition. I haven't had a chance to get all the way through it yet, but it's at least a bit more advanced than the usual book offerings.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Any good books?
            JeffryHouser Level 4

Thanks for the plug.

Also, since you didn't specify, check out the Flex Show Screencasts.  Although we write them to be accessible by beginners; I feel the content can get pretty advanced.

http://www.theflexshow.com/blog/index.cfm/Fifteen-Minutes-With-Flex

• 3. Re: Any good books?
              Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

These books are definitely not for beginners:

Enterprise Development with Flex

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596154172

ActionScript 3.0 Design Patterns

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596528461

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Any good books?
                David_F57 Level 5

hi,

I'm reviewing a FlashBuilder book at the moment, so far it seems pretty good, (its 1000 pages so its taking me a bit to get through)

FlashBuilder and Flex 4 Bible by David Gassner. published by Wiley.

ISBN - 978-0-470-48895-9

David Gassner is heavily involved in training on Adobe products and is an active member in Adobe pre-release programs, so he knows his stuff and has had plenty of exposure to Flashbuilder and Flex 4.

Hopefully I will be through it in a few more days and I can give you a heads up if I think its worth the money (i have already got a couple of things out of it myself).

David.

• 5. Re: Any good books?
                  rcoleman03

Hello,

I am a Business Analyst/Consultant.  I began my IT career with Accenture in 1997 where I was required to learn the basics of C/C+ and OBOL programming.  I didn't quite take to the coding aspects of the job.  Bored me.  I am a process guy who prefers working on the business side of technical solutions provision.  SDLC documentation and all that jazz. Walking and talking.

I have been a business analyst since I entered the industry and am looking to re-invent myself in order to re-enter the job market with some fresh and highly desirable technical skills.  I am very interested in graphic design technologies, web development and mobile application development.  It was recommended to me that I begin with learning the Adobe suite of products, namely FLEX (Enterprise) and Flash.

Any advice on what would be the best way for me to jump back into the coding realm and learn what will generate a significant financial reward is greatly appreciated.  Where do I start?  Books for beginners?  Online Tutorials, etc.?

• 6. Re: Any good books?
                    SpaghettiCoder Level 3

In terms of basic books, there are plenty, it's the intermediate, advanced books that are lacking...

Definitely go through flex in a week, it's free on the adobe site.

• 7. Re: Any good books?
                      rcoleman03 Level 1

Thank you!

• 8. Re: Any good books?
                        SpaghettiCoder Level 3

@karl

thanks, it's weird I had to do a full search name on that enterprise book for it to show up as a result...

got that one in my cart.