11 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 6:57 AM by the_wine_snob

Codec for .AVI file

T2010

Hello,

I am uploading and dragging a ".AVI" file into the timeline, yet PE8 is stating that the format is not supported or the necessary codec is not there.

I find this strange since I used the same ".AVI" file in other projects.

Would you have recommendations about codecs to use, and/or instructions about this?

The format of the ".AVI" file is:  DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 640 x 480, Millions 16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Codec for .AVI file
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

DV-AVIs should not be 640x480. They should be 720x480 using animorphic pixels. Premiere Elements is likely recognizing this as non-standard.

Was this video captured by Premiere Elements over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder?

If not,what is the source of this video?

• 2. Re: Codec for .AVI file
            the_wine_snob Level 9

A DV-AVI should not present a problem. Now, with the 640x480, I would assume Square Pixels, rather than the more commonly seen PAR = 0.9 (4:3), or 1.2 (16:9). Is that correct?

Though it should not create this issue, what is your Project Preset?

Just to cover all bases, can you post a screen-cap of that file in G-SPOT?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Codec for .AVI file
              T2010 Level 1

Thank you for your follow-up.

Yes, the main video (on the time line) was captured using Firewire from a miniDV camcorder.

The DV-AVI file includes video provided by another person (on DVD) as well as edits I made to this orginal file in PE8. After editing in PE8, I used the "share" button to create the AVI. I intend to add this AVI to multiple projects (as an Intro).

I appreciate your comments.

• 4. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes, that 640x480 is still an issue. It should not be. Did you use Premiere Elements to capture from that miniDV?

Also, you say some of the video came off a DVD? Did you use the project setting to reverse field dominance before you output it as a DV-AVI?

These things matter, and could well be the reason Premiere Elements is rejecting the file.

• 5. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                  nealeh Level 5

T2010 wrote:

... PE8 is stating that the format is not supported or the necessary codec is not there.

I find this strange since I used the same ".AVI" file in other projects.

Are you saying that you used the *exact* same clip into other projects and it worked?

If this is so then something must have recently changed. Have you installed any new, or uninstalled any old, multimedia applications? Are you using the identical project preset? Are you dragging the clip from the Organiser (where it presumably already exists from earlier projects) or using 'Get Media' in the Organiser or 'Get Media From' in the Edit Project view?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                    T2010 Level 1

Hello,

Thank you.

I tried to change field dominance using project settings, yet the box

was gray and not allowing changes.

I am now realizing that the issue may not be the size. When I check

"project settings" in PE8 for the main project and the intro

project-file (to be added to the main after conversion to .AVI), both

indicate 720 x 480. (Initially I checked the size using the QuickTime

viewer, and received the other figures.)

Could this mean a "codec" is actually needed? I have not worked with

codecs before. Would you have some suggestions.

I appreciate your follow-up.

• 7. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Considering that the CODEC listed is the DV/DVCPRO, you should have that already.

For a bit more background on CODEC's, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Not sure why you are having an issue with a standard CODEC. It should work perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                        T2010 Level 1

Hello Bill Hunt and Steve Grisetti,

I've looked into the size and it seems to be standard, so the standard

CODEC should be okay. I re-installed the software. The same issue is

occurring.

--When the imported .AVI file is sitting in the workspace (after using

"Get Media"), there are red and green arrows making a circle on top of

the file image. Does this mean something?

--This same .AVI file worked properly in multiple ofter PE8 projects.

Is there a way to copy/duplicate the .AVI file pulled into the

timeline of those other projects, and paste/send/transfer it into the

new projects?

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure what is happening with this file.

As for the Copy/Paste, many have reported that ClipMate, a Clipboard enhancement, can do this fine. Here is an ARTICLE from Muvipix.com.

Hope that this helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                            T2010 Level 1

Hello Bill,

I used ClipMate and it worked well. Thank you!

• 11. Re: Codec for .AVI file
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

That is good news! Many users on Muvipix really like that program. I have never used it, as PrPro allows for Importation of Projects/Sequences, but I have seen few reports of issues with it in PrE.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt