15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 1:37 PM by webwiz123

Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password

RGracia Level 1

Even though I check the Save option when entering the FTP user id and password when I close dreamweaver cs4 and reopen, I have to enter it again. What preference file controls that setting? It might be corrupted or buggy. I had to reinstall Master Collection CS4 this week and that's when it started happening. Suggestions?

Mac OS 10.6.3, MAster Collection CS4.

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
          bemdesign Level 4

Some people report that by running Mac OS X's Keychain Repair utility they can fix the issue. The probelm is that Dreamweaver's FTP "features" are spotty at best. In my esperience it is much easier (and less hassle) to use a seperate FTP client like Transmit to do any FTP work. Hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
            JamesNyD

I had the same problem for months after re-installing CS4 Master Collection on Mac and just updated to CS5 and found the same thing before coming across the idea of doing a Keychain repair. This alone did not work, but after I had manually deleted everything to do with Adobe from Keychain - even Macromedia, which was all still in there - I'm relieved to say DW is now working properly again and not deleting remote remote login/passwords. Oh, what joy! I've never discovered why people say DW's ftp is rubbish or that using other applications for ftp is less hassle. I use Interarchy (and others) as an alternative or for when I don't even want to open DW. I hope you get lucky, too

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
              RGracia Level 1

Thank you James. So far I have fixed the Keychain to no effect, but I haven't deleted the adobe and macromedia keychain items yet, which is probably what I need to do. I even, uninstalled, ran the CS4 cleanup tool and still the problem persisted, even when all preferences and application support folders were deleted prior to reinstalling, so the keychain issue is probably the problem here. Will confirm later next week when I return to the office and try this. Once again thanks!

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                RGracia Level 1

Hello all, just a quick update on this issue. I ran First Aid on the keychain application but that did not resolve the issue for me, however since all my research pointed to a corrupt Keychain profile on my user account I opted for resetting keychain completely, which can be done via Keychain > Preferences. This seemed to resolved DW CS4 stubborness finally. Warning: you will lose other keychain data when resetting keychain.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                  JamesNyD Level 1

That's Good News! After keychain First Aid I wonder if others might just find it helpful to try and delete individual items (associated with DW) manually from keychain - that worked for me without blowing everything

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                    emmaarichardson

I had the same issue.  Deleted all references to my site logins from Keychain and problem is resolved.  I should add that I uninstalled and reinstalled Dreamweaver as well but do not think that was necessary.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                      SkyNite

Hi emmaarichardson,

I believe the uninstall and reinstall was necessary. I tried deleting the site login references from the Keychain (as well as the en_US folder in the Dreamweaver CS5 Application Support folder) several times, to no avail.

I finally did the same procedure, then uninstalled / reinstalled Dreamweaver, and all is well.

Best wishes,

Steve

--

Stephen E. Hutson

AquilaDigital Partnership

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                        Mr. Benrud Level 1

I've reset my keychain and removed all adobe/macromedi files but DW still will not save my username/passwords.

ANy other suggestions?

Thanks,

todd

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                          SkyNite Level 1

Hi Todd,

Did you make sure to restart after you deleted the Keychain entries and the ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Dreamweaver CS5/en_US/ folder? That seems to be an essential step. Also, make sure you have Dreamweaver CS5 Build 4964 or later.

Also, it might be necessary to set the permissions on your ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe and its contents to allow read/write access for your user account.

'Hope this helps.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                            tonyswu

Hi,

I've run into this problem twice now. I've deleted all entries in the keychain and repaired the keychain, and it would play nice for a while. But the problem eventually comes back. Is there a permanent solution to this? I mean, my computer was just re-imaged and reinstalled with CS5. It's as clean as it can be.

Thanks,

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                              bemdesign Level 4

Use a standalone FTP client like Transmit or Filezilla - this also makes it easier to track down FTP, server, and even file permissions issues.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                                jefferis Level 1

HEy, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the ssh_hosts file in the library/appsupport/adobe/dw config files?

I'm thinking that these are the ones forgetting the login info...   If not which is the Keychains file inside that config folder?

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                                  jimnicoloff

After some serious troubleshooting I figured it was time to post an update in case others get this problem in the future.  This is what I have found - your situation may be different but this has definitely fixed the problem for me.

Here's what caused the problem:

I modified the Dreamweaver package to have it auto-hide the dock and menu bar (only for this program).  This basically invalidated the security key for the app and OSX would not let it talk to the keychain anymore.

Here's what fixed the problem:

I had to uninstall Dreamweaver, delete all of the login keys from Dreamweaver (in keychain access they will have a "SiteServer" in the string), and then reinstall Dreamweaver.  For good measure I did the keychain first aid and left login items unlocked.  Since I can't modify the Dreamweaver package, I just set the dock to autohide all the time now - not ideal but definitely better than having to input login information every time I want to do an update.

So if anybody out there has been messing around with the Dreamweaver package files, that is what is causing your issue.

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                                    Doc Vandermast

Simple solution:  Create a new Server logon file instead of re-entering the old one. Here's the story.

I have been plagued by this problem for months.  I tried all the solutions, including the "correct answer" at the top.  Nothing worked for me.

This morning I tried something new and it worked!  Here's what I did.

I opened Managed Sites, selected the site in question, and clicked the Edit button. Then I selected Servers.  Nothing different than I had done before hundreds of times.

Now, instead of double clicking on the existing Server file, I clicked the + to create another Server logon file.

I filled out that new file correctly and went Save.

Then I clicked the checkbox on the new Server logon file, and made sure the old one was unchecked. I didn't delete the old one, because, when testing, I only like to change one variable at a time.

Now when I close Dreamwever CS5 and reopen it, the Server logon is remembered.

It may be the case that this would not have worked if I hadn't done all the other stuff recommened first, but this fix is so easy to do, it's worth trying first.

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver Doesn't Save FTP user and password
                                      webwiz123

After force rstart, this started happening, maybe just coincidence. Nothing worked, except Doc's... but you need to use a different Site Name. If you use the same it will happened again, dreamweaver will drop FTP logins.