6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 7:20 AM by the_wine_snob

help! out of memory

doyle84

Hi guys,

I need urgent help! I am trying to export a 20 min film i have made (due in tomorow for a university project) and adobe premiere elements 7 is telling me it has run out of memory and wont export it. What can I do to resolve the problem??

my cpu isnt the best config as its geared more towards music production. My hard drive has loads of space so this isnt the issue.

If anyone can suggest what to do I would be very greatful!

• 1. Re: help! out of memory
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 2. Re: help! out of memory
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might be useful in looking into Resources/Memory issues.

This ARTICLE might be helpful for setting up your computer for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: help! out of memory
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If those articles are not useful, then it will probably be time to offer some more info, as the cure might be evident to others from those data. This ARTICLE will tell you the types of info, that would be so useful, and tell you how to gather much of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: help! out of memory
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree. We can't really advise you without knowing how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have and how much free space is on your hard drive

It's also helpful to know what kind of camcorder your source video came from. Or, if you're using photos, if you've sized the photos to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per my books and the FAQs to the right of this forum.

We really can't tell you how to get past an out of memory error without knowing what is causing the error.

• 5. Re: help! out of memory
                  nealeh Level 5

In view of your deadline use Task Manager to shut down everything not vital to the machines operation.

• Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, anything connected with iPod, email monitoring programs, performance monitoring programs.
                  • Close any desktop gadgets, internet password applications, screensavers, background disk defragmenters.
                  • Set your desktop background to a plain colour,
                  • Select a basic theme so that Aero shuts down
                  • Set your Sounds Theme to No Sounds.
                  • Remove any temporary files - I recommend CCleaner.
                  • After that use an on-demand defragmenter to maximise contiguous space - I recommend Auslogics offering because it is fast.

Try exporting / sharing in different formats maybe one of them will work where your current attempt does not.

Good Luck,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: help! out of memory
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

The only change that I would make to the list is to use the various anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spysweeping programs' Exit functions, as most are designed to resist being shutdown in any other way, as a safety precaution. Most will not allow remote shutdown, without issues, as many Trojans, WORMs and malware attempt to do just that.

Otherwise I agree completely, and recommend the same things.

Thanks,

Hunt