6 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 8:33 PM by gingeralenz

issues with copying effects?

Eric Greenfield Level 1

Hello.

I made this nice logo with some filter effects. When I copy and pasted the whole thing onto an art board it didnt look quite right....the effects were off.

They were there but they didnt look right...

What can I do??

• 1. Re: issues with copying effects?
          Scott Falkner Level 5

More information.

1. What version of Illustrator are you using? ALWAYS tell us that first. We cannot help you if we don’t know what programs and version you are using. This is in the forum FAQ and it is very frustrating when people don’t bother to provide this.

2. What do you mean by “ it didnt look quite right....the effects were off”? Again, we need to know what you are doing and what you are seeing. Jsut saying it’s not, “quite right,” tells us nothing.

3. It is often appropriate and helpful to include a screen capture demonstrating the problem. Use the camera icon when making a new post or replying to an existing one to include any image on your computer.

So far, there is nothing anyone can tell you because you have not clearly stated the problem.

• 2. Re: issues with copying effects?
            Eric Greenfield Level 1

Sorry.

I am using illustrator cs4.

this is the correct one

charity aces-02.jpganothertry-01.jpg

This is the copied one to another file in illustrator....what happened to the effects? they are there but not as pronounced...but they have the same settings?

• 3. Re: issues with copying effects?
              Scott Falkner Level 5

Two possibilities.

1. The effects are resolution-based and the Raster Effects Resolution Settings (Effects menu) are different between the two files.

2. Some raster effects only work in RGB mode. Make sure both documents have he same Document Color Mode (Edit menu).
              • 4. Re: issues with copying effects?
                gingeralenz Level 1

if your happy with it you can expand appearance on it, keeping your original in a separate file.

• 5. Re: issues with copying effects?
                  Eric Greenfield Level 1

@Falkner - you were right the raster settings are different in both documents. I cant mend that without changing the image?

@gingeralenz

Whoa... Im a fast learner...I only began suing illustrator this year... I thought expand appearance turns objects into their own shapes. like a line with a interesting brush stroke will turn into separate shapes.

I didnt know it can effect the filter effects.

Can I ask exactly what expand and expand appearance does without feeling stupid?

does it rasterize the effect once im satisfied with it?

• 6. Re: issues with copying effects?
                    gingeralenz Level 1

Expanding appearance rasterises all your transparency effects into an embedded file. If your having issues like your describing its a work around but you  cannot alter your transparency effects once this is applied. Handy if your supplying the logo to someone else and you dont want them to alter the effects.