3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 10:55 PM by Druyan

Storage Configurations: RAID and OS Disc

Druyan

Thanks for your help on the memory, guys!

Now my next question is about choosing options for configuring my storage.

Here are my system basics:

• Win 7 Pro 64 bit
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme MotherBoard
      • i7 980x CPU (no plans to overclock at the moment- will wait to see my results without first)
      • 24gb 1333mhz RAM
      • Primary Software Used: CS5--mostly PPro, AE, Photoshop, multiple plug-ins for all programs.
      • GPU:  Probably the GTX 480 (have not decided yet... I will post my questions about that in another discussion).
      • RAID Controller:  Undecided

My main goal with this system is the fastest possible video editing of various formats, multiple layers, and potentially heavy use of AE.  I want this machine to be prepared for most anything that I might throw at it (within reason).  I want to take full advantage of MPE.

At the same time, I am throwing money at it now so that it will be as future-proof as possible for upgrades (USB 3, SATA 6g, PCIe 2, hexcore, etc.).

So, my question today...

The Asus board has 2 SATA 6g ports and on-board RAID (Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10 )

My first thought was to hook these up to 2 discs using the on-board RAID 0 to use as my scratch/pagefile storage.

If I did this, my OS/Programs drive would be a VelociRaptor.

Either way, my content will be on several discs with RAID 5 or 6, (using an as-yet to be determined controller)

(Backing up to external drives is part of my daily routine, so I am more interested in speed than redundancy).

Then I wondered... is it better to have the OS/Programs on a SATA 6g and the RAID 0 on SATA 3g?  In this case I could have 3 discs instead of 2 on the RAID 0.

How much difference does that extra disc make in terms of speed of the RAID 0?

Which needs, or can take best advantage of, the higher throughput of SATA 6g-- the OS or the scratch disc?

I know that SATA 6g is so new that it may just take experimentation on my part... but perhaps not--is there a clear answer?

Also, there are not many options out there yet-- but I can feasibly wait a little while and buy a SATA 6g controller for my content discs--is it a good idea to wait?

Thanks, once again! (you guys are so great to help us all out like this!!!)

• 1. Re: Storage Configurations: RAID and OS Disc
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

My (limited so far) experience with 6 Gb/s disks and interfaces show marginal if any performance difference with them over 3 Gb/s systems on small (2-4 drives) setups.  I saw someplace that until you get up to 12-16 drives on a controller you really will not see much change.  That said, the fact that the new 6 Gb/s 7200 rpm drives have 64 MB of cache probably makes that a superior choice even on a 3 Gb/s interface.  And then you add into that mix the new 600 GB WD VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm drive (32 MB cache) which is the fastest SATA drive available and you do indeed have a lot of options.  If you really are serious about a RAID controller for 8 or more drives there is only one choice Areca.  One of these days we expect to see the newest member of the family the ARC 1880 series.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Storage Configurations: RAID and OS Disc
            platduck

re SATA 6g ports, remember that only refers to the maximum speed of the SATA ports and bus, but the disc still only spins at 7200rpm and you will most probably get the same speeds of around 90-110mb/s with a single disc. That said I have no personal experience on that.

My advice on RAID is usually, if the budget allows obviously, and looking at your build it does not seem that budget is much of a factor, to go with dedicated (built for video) RAIDs from companies that specializes in just that. So I would recommend getting something from CALDIGIT ( www.caldigit.com ). I have only had good experiences with the company and their products.

I am running a caldigit HDElement  (http://www.caldigit.com/HDElement/ ) on the Caldigit RAID card on all our Edit Suites. Its an external box with 4 HDD. In a 4 disc RAID 5 I get speeds between 230 and 260 mb/s depending on how full the RAID is and how fragmented it is. On the RAID card you also have a port to add up to 4 internal discs, which I use to run 4 discs in RAID 0.

We then use the external RAIDs for footage and stuff we need protected (RAID 5) and the internal RAIDs for scratch/preview/renders (RAID 0). Add a SSD for OS and applications and you sit with close to zero bottle necks.

For more speed look at one of their 8 disc external products.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Storage Configurations: RAID and OS Disc
              Druyan Level 1

Thanks for the info--much appreciated!!