15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 8:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i

bmeredith1969

I was reading in another post of a guy named Drew having bluescreens during DVD burning in Premere Elements 8.  I have an hour long concert video using one main audio track and three video tracks that were shot in MP4 format on Samsung HD handhelds.

I am also crashing to the bluescreen during DVD creation, and even the same crash on two different workstations.

I am considering jumping on board the idea of exporting the project to a video file and then using something like Nero 9 or Windows DVD Maker to actually burn the DVD.

But my main concern is not losing any HD quality in any of the exporting or burning.  What is the best process to export this project to video and then get it on a DVD (with a menu) and not lose any video or sound quality.

If I have left out any additional information you need, please let me know and I thank you in advance.

Brant

• 1. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
          nealeh Level 5

You cannot burn a playable DVD without losing quality. DVD is at best 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC). To retain quality you must burn to BluRay.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Brant,

A BSOD is almost always a sign of a hardware issue. The most likely culprits are:

1.) heat buildup in the CPU, or even in the HDD's

2.) bad RAM

3.) bad MoBo

4.) bad, or underpowered power supply

This ARTICLE provides links to some tools for diagnostics.

Transcoding and Burning a DVD are intense operations, and can really point up weaknesses in one's system.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For more software/OS related issues, this ARTICLE might be helpful for finding clues as to what is happening with a crash.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                bmeredith1969 Level 1

ok, understood.  But, I also understand (from other forum posts) that the best video format to work with within PE8 is DV-AVI.  So, since my video files are native MP4 i need a converter.  I know that not all converters are going to give the best quality, and I was wondering if exporting it to a video file in DV-AVI format using PE8 was the best way to to it with the least amout of quaity loss.  Or is it best to convert the MP4 video ahead of time using something like Quicktime Pro to convert it and then use it inside PE8. 

I know these are all valid ways to to this, and there may be others I do no know of, and I know I will lose resolution if not burning to a Blu-Ray, but as fas as burning to a DVD, what is the best procdure to lose the least amout of video and audio quality?

• 5. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                  bmeredith1969 Level 1

As far as the blue screens during DVD burning goes.  I looked at the link Hunt sent and went to the event viewer and found these two entires.

Under system I found:

Level:         Warning
                  Keywords:      Classic
                  User:          N/A
                  Computer:      Owner-PC
                  Description:
                  An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.
                  Event Xml:
                  <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
                    <System>
                      <Provider Name="cdrom" />
                      <EventID Qualifiers="32772">51</EventID>
                      <Level>3</Level>
                      <Task>0</Task>
                      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-05-23T18:45:32.083Z" />
                      <EventRecordID>34718</EventRecordID>
                      <Channel>System</Channel>
                      <Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
                      <Security />
                    </System>
                    <EventData>
                      <Data>\Device\CdRom0</Data>
                      <Binary>0F0080000100000000000000330004802D010000100000C0000000000000000000000000000000003 710000000000000FFFFFFFF01000000580000C402020200FE200A1248020040000000000401000000000000000 0000018C70C0480FAFFFF0000000000000000C01A7F0680FAFFFF0000000000000000000000000000000028000 000000000000200000000000000700005000000000A00000000640000000000000000000000</Binary>
                    </EventData>
                  </Event>

and under application I found:

Log Name:      Application
                  Source:        Application Hang
                  Date:          5/22/2010 1:40:13 PM
                  Event ID:      1002
                  Task Category: (101)
                  Level:         Error
                  Keywords:      Classic
                  User:          N/A
                  Computer:      Owner-PC
                  Description:
                  The program Adobe Premiere Elements.exe version 8.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: be8 Start Time: 01caf9be00506668 Termination Time: 92
                  Event Xml:
                  <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
                    <System>
                      <Provider Name="Application Hang" />
                      <EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
                      <Level>2</Level>
                      <Task>101</Task>
                      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
                      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-05-22T17:40:13.000Z" />
                      <EventRecordID>1881</EventRecordID>
                      <Channel>Application</Channel>
                      <Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
                      <Security />
                    </System>
                    <EventData>
                      <Data>Adobe Premiere Elements.exe</Data>
                      <Data>8.0.0.0</Data>
                      <Data>be8</Data>
                      <Data>01caf9be00506668</Data>
                      <Data>92</Data>
                      <Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
                    </EventData>
                  </Event>

• 6. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                    bmeredith1969 Level 1

I just also realized that both workstations I have tried to burn this project on (and this is the first PE8 project being burned on either system) both have Nero 9 on them.  Do you think that having the Nero software on these systems is playing into thecrash?

• 7. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
                      Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
                      Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0
                      #2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390
                      Plus a Microsoft note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
                      And another note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Much will depend on what modules of Nero you have installed. The one module that gives the most trouble with Adobe burning applications is InCD (almost exactly the same as Roxio's DLA). The issue here is that at boot-up, InCD will hook the burner and tell the OS that it is really a separate HDD, to allow for packet-writing (basically drag-n-drop, like Windows Explorer and a real HDD). By the time that the Adobe app. has been launched, the OS is reporting that there is no burner, just HDD's. Some burning utilities, like the free ImgBurn, do not believe the OS and will go to the hardware side of things, and see that there IS a burner, and use it.

There are a few other modules that can cause issues, though usually not catastrophic, and those are the "watcher" modules, that monitor many folders, looking for potential files to drag-n-drop to a CD/DVD. These can lock files, that are necessary for the NLE to do the Transcoding and later burning. Both Nero & Roxio have such utilities, and in my Nero installations, I do not install those either. I have Nero (cannot recall the version right now), plus Gear DVD, plus Adobe Encore, and several other programs that allow some degree of DVD authoring. I have no issues, but then I did a lean, custom install of Nero, so I do not have those offending modules.

If PrE is finding your burner(s) fine, I would not be too suspicious of Nero in this case. Now, the "watcher" modules could be shutting down PrE during part of the process, but that should only result in an app. hang (I know that you got one), but NOT a BSOD. In earlier versions of Nero, one can stop those watchers/monitors from loading, by stopping them in MSCONFIG. This ARTICLE might be useful for that, plus getting your computer ready for an NLE/Authoring session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                          bmeredith1969 Level 1

In one of Steve's articles on Muvipix, he talks about using Premiere Elements to convert non-standard formats (like my MP4 video) to DV-AVI ahead of time.

He talks of opening a new project using the correct presets for the source video (in my case MP4 video off a flash card at 1920 x 1080i resolution)

So, correct me if I am wrong.  For this I would open "Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder" presets and choose the "HD 1080i 30"

and then drop in my clip to be converted and then select "Share" and then "Personal Computer" and then (according to Steve's instructions) select "DV-AVI" output option.  

OK, when i get to this point in PRE 8, I have a scroll down menu and the only thing that says AVI is the one that says "AVI - Use for editing in Adobe Premiere Elements"  I do not see one that says "DV-AVI"  so is that one the right choice?  And, is there anything under "Advanced" that needs to be changed to produce the best quality output I can get (I am trying to lose the least video quality as I can)  Do i need to change the "presets" here from "DV NTSC Standard" to "DV NTSC Widescreen, cause I am desiring a widescreen output video.  Or do I need to be considering the "Microsoft AVI" or the "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI" options.

• 10. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, for SD (Standard Definition) material and Projects, DV-AVI is the best format.

You are starting with HD (High Definition) material in H.264 MPEG format. If you intend to edit it as HD and output to HD, then you will NOT want DV-AVI, as it will down-rez to SD. The HD format that is supported at nearly the same level as the SD DV-AVI is HDV.

What is your need, SD, or HD? That will be the determining factor.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                              bmeredith1969 Level 1

I am hoping to get HD, I know I am going to be burning to a DVD on this project, but I would like to have the best, widescreen resolution as possible.

So, considering that, what is the best project preset (should it match my input videos as normal) and what is the best output?

• 12. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                                Gonzchi Level 1

You mean you want to create a DVD-VIDEO ?

Repeating what they told you on the first reply on this thread: DVD-VIDEO is by definition standard resolution. High definition DVD-VIDEO does not exist. (This is why they created HD-DVD (now defunct) and Blue-Ray)

What you can do, is to create a AVCHD "disk" , and burn that to DVD media. - which is a completely differnt thing from a DVD-VIDEO-

DVD players won´t play that, but Blue-Ray players will.

Gonza

• 13. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                                  bmeredith1969 Level 1

After all was said and done, my bluescreens were due to a faulty DVD Burner.  And as far as the SD verses HD; I found I had started the project using the wrong template (the temple resolution settings did not match the resolution of my source video files.

• 15. Re: Converting without losing any video quality in HD 1080i
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you tracked down the BSOD issue. That is crippling, and one should always address those issues first.

Also, nice to know that you sorted out the Project Preset, as a mis-match between the source footage and the Project's Preset, can cause all sorts of problems.

Thank you for reporting, and I'm happy that you got it sorted out.

Happy editing,

Hunt