• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 4 does not capture Windows 7 dialogs, etc.

May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this issue was posted back in March (Captiv8r recommended filing a bug report), but I'm wondering if a solution has been found since then.

I can capture other applications and the desktop, but whenever I try to capture a Windows 7 window, dialog or process, I get nothing. Zilch. Can't even print screen. In fact, the "End" function to stop recording doesn't even work unless I open another app. This is such a glaring bug I can't believe Adobe hasn't fixed it. What's going on? How do I fix it?

I'm using Captivate 4.0.0 Build 1596, on Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel i3, 2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Will try later on my laptop with Win7, but see from the build number that you did not yet install the patch released one year ago. Please do, it is possible from the Help menu. The latest build is 1658

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

If it's Windows 7 64 bit, it doesn't work for me either. The only way to capture is to click the red recording rectangle.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Yes, it's 64-bit. Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure I'll be able to use it for my project. I'm trying to capture full screen, which means the "red rectangle" is not visible. My full screen is 600x800. I tried using a slightly smaller rectangle (e.g. 798x598) that will be visible (and clickable). It works only for windows. It doesn't work for intermediate processes like an open Start menu. It's only a partial solution and is very kludgy. I'm experimenting with using Windows' Snipping Tool as a workaround to capture select screens (instead of Captivate), and then paste them into my Captivate project as needed. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

I've downloaded the patch but it doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am banging my head into the very same problem on Windows 7 64-bit

Captivate 4 refuses to eat keystrokes when any Windows 7 thingy is open. This means I cannot capture desktop, start menu, explorer windows. Not even a bloody Virtual PC!

However, any running application such as  Chrome or Word I am able to grab.

Also using 1658.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the answer is to upgrade to Captivate 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Adobe's official position on this?  Are they saying there is no fix, and they will not support it?  Is the solution to shelll out an addtional $300 on top of the initial $800 that was spent on something that never worked as advertised on windows 7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

You can make Captivate 4 work on Windows 7 but you have to install a Virtual Machine to do it.

I don't believe Captivate 4 was ever advertised as working or being compatible with Windows 7. Captivate 4 was announced in January 2009 and Windows 7 wasn't available until October of 2009.

So if you read somewhere that Captivate was advertiesed to work without issue on an operating system that wasn't generally available until nearly a year after Captivate 4 was, you were misled. My guess is that if you saw this somewhere it certainly didn't come from Adobe.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources