4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 3:45 PM by the_wine_snob

Syncing audio from iRiver MP3 recorder with video from Canon GL1

rickyirvine

We shot a 1.5 hr corporate discussion on a Canon GL1, and used iRiver MP3 recorders to get some better audio (we didn't have a good mic setup, it was the best we could do). It seems like any easy task to sync them up, but when I brought everything into Adobe Premiere (CS4) the audio plays just a tad slower than the video, and I'm having an impossible time synchronizing them. Any advice?

• 1. Re: Syncing audio from iRiver MP3 recorder with video from Canon GL1
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP3 is not a very good format for Premiere... but... what are the settings?

What happens if you convert to WAV with 48khz sound?

• 2. Re: Syncing audio from iRiver MP3 recorder with video from Canon GL1
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Because of a possible variation in the crystal sync pulse between your cameras and your recorders, this will happen. Even with higher-end recorders, many users find that they need to adjust the speed of either the Audio, or the Video to accommodate those differences. One contributor here found that he needed to adjust his Audio by 104%, IIRC, and check Maintain Pitch. That always fixed things for him.

I would also convert to PCM/WAV, but that is my habit, when dealing with MP3. I have never had any issue with those WAV files. I use Adobe Audition and just do a Save_As, choosing PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. While it will probably not directly address your sync issues, it will get you as good a file, as you can get - though the initial compression to MP3 cannot be corrected. You have lost quite a bit of data, and it can never be recovered.

Though your issue will most likely be a speed tweak (remember to Maintain Pitch, if adjusting the Audio), this ARTICLE might give you some tips on adjusting sync.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Syncing audio from iRiver MP3 recorder with video from Canon GL1
              rickyirvine Level 1

I saved the MP3 as a 48khz WAV, which didn't fix it, but at least I don't have to mirror left channel (mono mp3!). Looks like I'll just have to play the audio clip faster as Bill suggested, fiddling until I get the speed right. Thanks for the advice.

• 4. Re: Syncing audio from iRiver MP3 recorder with video from Canon GL1
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Once you do find the right adjustment, make note of that, so it can then be applied to all such streams in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - that earlier poster, to whom I referred was Jim Simon, who has not been around for a few months. Maybe a Search of this forum on "audio sync" and then a Filter on People>Jim Simon might yield those threads. I do not recall his Audio recording hardware, or the exact % that he found useful (seems that it was 104%).