5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 4:47 PM by Hrrrrgh!

Can masks be scaled numerically?

Hrrrrgh!
      Hi,
      I've been banging my head against this problem all day and I'm hoping for some help.
      I'm trying to copy a mask that was originally created in a 1024x768 comp and paste it into a 1920x1080 comp.  The mask and all it's keyframes copy and paste smaller in the 1920x1080 comp, which makes sense owing to the smaller scale of the layer it was created for.  The problem I am having concerns re-scaling the mask larger in the new comp after I've pasted it into a 1920x1080 layer.  I can scale the first set of keyframe by double clicking the mask outline and then shift-dragging the bounding box, but the change doesn't effect any of the later keyframes, which force the mask to assume it's smaller size when the playhead advances. There are just too many keyframes over time to manually rescale each one in this way, and besides, manually rescaling each keyframe wont work because parts of the mask selection remain fixed over time, and parts change dramatically.  This makes it necessary to rescale each keyframe exactly the same, or the fixed areas are seen as moving.
      Is there any way to numerically re-scale the mask?  If so I could then just apply the same changes to each keyframe and my problem would be solved.
      Thanks for any help you can give 
        • 1. Re: Can masks be scaled numerically?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

One way to go would be to use the mask to define a track matte, and then you can duplicate the matte layer and scale it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can masks be scaled numerically?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Completely wrong workflow! Do the following:

1. Create a new solid matching teh footage specs
            2. Select the footage layer in the timeline
            3. Select the solid you just created in the project panel
            4. Hit Ctrl+Alt+< to replace the itmes
            5. Select the solid
            6. Use Layer --> Layer Settings
            7. Dial in the new size

Voilà, All masks proportionately scaled with animation intact, ready to copy &paste or replace the footage again.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can masks be scaled numerically?
              Hrrrrgh! Level 1

Thank you Mylenium,  I appreciate your help.  I did what you described (though to replace the footage in the timeline with the new solid I held down the option key and dragged it over the layer in the timeline).  After resizing the solid in the timeline I ended up with a mask that looks to be the right size but which is skewed slightly so I cant lay it over the target footage.  Perhaps I should elaborate, and then go over the steps I followed just to make sure I did what you told me to:

I'm animating cracks in a window as they splinter and spread across a window. After photographing broken glass, I created a network of cracks in photoshop with an alpha channel where there are no cracks.  I imported these layers into after effects and animated each cracked layer so that the cracks spread out across my frame area.  The effect is fantastic.

My project was originally designed to be output for a 1024x768 projector.  After animating a mask to gradually reveal each splinter of glass as it spreads out, I changed to a target resolution of 1920x1080.  Now I'm trying to bring the animated masks into a new 1920x1080 project and lay them over an all new set of1920x1080 pohotoshop layers. (I cant resize the old layers in After Effects without the cracks loosing resolution, so I upscaled all the layers in photoshop and imported them into a new 1920x1080 project.

Alright, so here's what I did with your advice:

In the OLD 1024x768 project, I created a new solid of the same size.  I selected one of my masked cracking glass layers in the timeline, ad then selected the new solid in the project pane.  I option/dragged the solid over the layer to replace the layer in the timeline with the solid, while keeping the mask intact.  I then selected Layer>layer setting and resized the replaced layer to 1920x1080.  I then dragged in my new 1920x1080 project folder (the one with the new target photoshop layers) and pasted in to that timeline the upscaled layer. 

It came in off center but the right size.  after moving it over the comp frame-line, the mask looks to be about the right size, but it is skewed somehow so that its impossible to fit over the complicated network of cracks that spread out keyframe by keyframe.  The good news is that all the keyframes are intact and my animation complete for that mask.  The bad news is I can seem to fit it over the upscaled cracks.  Perhaps this is due to some aspect ratio changes the cracked layers underwent in photoshop, thou I was careful to preserve there shape uniformly.

Anyway, I've started to reanimate everything from scratch, so if you cant help anymore, thanks for trying.

• 4. Re: Can masks be scaled numerically?
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried using the Scale Composition script?

Make a duplicate of your original comp.  Appy File/Scripts/Demo Pallette/Scale Comp, resizing to the new comp size.

Copy and paste necessary elements into your re-animated comp.

• 5. Re: Can masks be scaled numerically?
                  Hrrrrgh! Level 1

Thanks a bunch, but I reanimatrd the masks already. I'll try this the next time I upsacale to a new comp and wantto bring smallerasks over.

Again, thanks

Sent from my iPhone