16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 11:45 AM by dMarks9

Editing AVCHD Files

dMarks9 Level 1

I’m working on a program with AVCHD files and attempting to edit it in the native file format using CS4.  The problem I’m having is, when editing larger files the preview files sputter and freeze.  I’m using an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.5 GHz with 6 GB of memory, graphic adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, Win 7 64 bit.  

I discussed the problem with Adobe’s technical support for about 90 minutes today with no luck.

I’ve read on the forum that I might be ahead to edit using a different file format.  Should I just export to AVI or would another file format be preferable

Does CS5 handle AVCHD files any better than CS4?

• 1. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Playback stutters can often be caused by inadequate disk setup.

What is yours in terms of number of disks, speed, interface, raid configuration and fill rate on each.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
            dMarks9 Level 1

I have two hard drives.  The C drive was configured by Dell (XPS 430) it's a Maxtor 6B300SO (please Google for exact specs) 300 GB, 7200, SATA. The other drive is a Seagate ST3750630AS - 7200, SATA, 16 MB cache. The Storage controller is an Intel ICH85/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA Raid Controller.  I don't know how to find the RAID spec or fill rate.  Both drives are very fast.  The C drive reads 256 at 83 MBs and writes at a similar speed. The other drive reads 256 at 45 MBs and writes at 44, about half the speed.  Maybe it should be replaced?

I primarily use the C drive for everything.  I've tried moving the project to the other drive and it makes no difference.  Currently the project is on C and other files are written to the 2nd drive.  Regardless of how I've configured this aspect of the project, the results are the same - graphics sputter.

The computer is less than a year old so I hate to replace it already.  I admit to looking at the Fry's ad this morning and drooling over a computer that Intel rated with 5 stars.

• 3. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Two physical disks is the bare minimum, three or more would be better.

Doing the majority of the work off one drive is slowing you down. The throughput on the second disk is pretty low, it may indiacate that the fill rate is too high (more than 70% filled) to perform adequately, so a good cleanup may help.

In general, it is wise to have at least 3 physical drives, one for OS & programs, one for media and one for all the rest.

• 4. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                dMarks9 Level 1

I posted my question elsewhere (http://forums.adobe.com/message/2850042#2850042) and it seems that I'm not the only one having a problem with AVCHD files.  The 2nd drive is empty, so that's not the problem.

• 5. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One good scheme would be:

C:\ OS, programs, and probably Page File (but testing will tell you the best location)

D:\ Projects and Scratch Disks

E:\ Media

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - editing of AVCHD is highly CPU dependent. Many experience few issues with a Quad-core, but most recommend a fast i7 as the minimum.

[Edit] Did the above post get edited? I was replying to what I thought I saw as a question regarding the allocation of 3 HDD's. This is just to clarify my response. Now, that question seems to be gone. Am I having flashbacks to the Second Atlanta Pop Festival here?

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You are not the only one to neglect a proper disk setup either. That is the cause of your problems. If you want to edit AVCHD material, you need a top-notch PC, including the disk setup, which is currently seriously lacking.

• 7. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                      dMarks9 Level 1

Sorry about that.  Yes, I edited it because I noticed that harm had already answered the questions in his previous post.  I apparently went through it too quickly the first time around.  Thanks for your response.

• 8. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                        dMarks9 Level 1

Harm, do you edit AVCHD files?  Because, from other posts, including one from Premiere technical support it seems that the processor is the problem (as Hunt just mentioned).

• 9. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that clarification - I was going to have an analysis of my coffee done!

I feel much better now, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                            dMarks9 Level 1

No, it was my coffee that caused the problem.  Yours is probably okay.  I got a response from Jeremy d., customer support for Adobe:

"As I said before, I saw the issue myself, it was fixed, and it will be in an update soon. Please hang in there."

• 11. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

For regular work I try to abstain from AVCHD as much as possible, but with the design and testing of the new PPBM CS5 benchmark test, I use it extensively. Now, my disk setup is not very common with a separate Velociraptor OS disk, a 2 disk raid0 for pagefile and media cache and a 12 disk raid30 for projects and media (delivering a sustained tranfer rate of 850+ MB/s), but I have not encountered any problems with anything AVCHD, even when mixed with XDCAM-EX, HDV and DV material, both in NTSC and PAL in a single sequence heavily loaded with effects, transitions and keyframes.

Your stuttering issues are all caused by an insufficient disk setup in the first place, but may be aggravated by the lack of power in the CPU area. For comfortable editing an i7 is suggested.

What is your CPU load during editing/scrubbing?

• 12. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                                dMarks9 Level 1

My CPU total spikes to 100% at transitions.  For the rest of the clip it's under 50%.  By the way, that's quite a disk settup.  Wow!

Since the CPU is spiking at the transition, it seems like the problem has more to do with the CPU than the disk array but I'm sure you're correct that my settup is insufficient.  Thanks.  I'm considering the Core i7 - 860 processor but would like to see how the Premiere update that addresses this problem works before spending $1200.  I also don't want to update my drive settup until I determine if a new computer is necessary.  Still, I totally agree that my disk arrangement is insufficient.  Thanks for your help.

• 13. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There is another active thread regarding AVCHD and Transitions. The last report from Adobe was that there is a patch in the works to address this issue. Patience was urged. That indicates to me, that a fix is coming to a theater near us all and possibly soon.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                                    dMarks9 Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  Yes, I'm been following that thread and responding to it.  I'm just wondering what the time frame is because I'm working on a project that actually has a deadline.  The deadline comment is for my own amusement... "actually."  I tend to play around with some projects far too long.  I'm sure that I'm the only one that has that problem.  Heh heh.

• 15. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

dMarks,

Yes, I noticed!

Happy editing,

Hunt

PS - I am with Harm. If Dennis, Jeremy or other Adobe folk comment on something, I read it carefully, even if I do not use that type of footage.

• 16. Re: Editing AVCHD Files
                                        dMarks9 Level 1

Even though the sputtering preview videos seems to be a program clitch (with AVCHD files) I decided to upgrade my hard drive to see if it would help.  I installed an Intel 160 GB SSD and moved the project and all other files there.  The C drive still has the program so I'm using a 2 drive setup.  When viewing the preview the CPU no longer goes to 100%, it's now around 50%.  The video still stutters but there is a little improvement which has allowed me to continue editing the project.  Thanks everyone for the assistance.  I'm looking forward to the update.