18 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 2:46 AM by kiran7881

Maximum size of an swf file of an Application

kiran7881 Level 1

Hi ,

Ours is a Intra Net Application would be launched as a Product  ,and can be  used with in an Organisation .

The Project would be developed using FLEX 3 as Front End , blazeds in Tomcat , JDBC with Oracle for backend .

Please tell me what should be considerded as the maximum size  of the swf file so that everything would be fine

Please share your views .

Thnaks in advance .

• 1. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
          Dajji Level 3

As per my experience, the important thing is to decide on the minimum size so that all the required components are visible. Then the application can follow liquid layout to expand/resize components to fill in extra space. Most people today have minimum of 1024 x 768 screen resolution. Applications should be targeted for this and higher resolutions.

• 2. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
            kiran7881 Level 1

Dajj , the points you made were interesting , can you please ellobrate more on these points or point me to a link where all these things are mentioned .

Because i dont how the size of the Application is related with screen resolution .

Thanks in advance .

• 3. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
              Sebastien V. Level 3

I think you are talking about screen size (resolution) instead of the compiled swf size.

For the swf size, the interesting parameters are (IMOO) the network speed and the client computers configuration.

The network speed because of the loading time of the swf, which will grow with the swf size. Depending on the speed of your company intranet network and the location of the users the swf size can be a problem if it grows too much.

The client computer configurations because old or less powerfull configurations will have more trouble running a big swf than a powerfull and new computer.

• 4. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                Dajji Level 3

With Flex you don't need to bother about sizing. If you keep your layout liquid (keeping your application and it's components use size in %) it will serve the purpose. All you need to make sure is that the size of your components is not going below minimum size requirement. To ensure this, you can use minSize property as shown below.

<mx:HDividedBox minWidth="500" width="100%" height="100%">

</mx:HDividedBox>

Now the width of this component will not go below 500 pixels. And when the application is viewed in higher resolution, it will use the extra space available as the width is given as 100%.

• 5. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                  Dajji Level 3

As mentioned by Kiran, this is going to be an intranet application. The bandwidth in this case should not be a constraint.

• 6. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                    kiran7881 Level 1

Dajj , thanks for the information with respect to percentage sizing , but the actual  question  i asked was diverted which was actually

"what should be the Maximum size of an swf file of an Application" ??

• 7. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                      pauland Level 4

What makes you think you are likely to build an application that might breach the limit? I suspect that if you did go anywhere near the limit (whatever it is), you would have a very poorly written application.

I have never, ever heard of an application that won't run/can't be built because of swf size limits.

• 8. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                        Dajji Level 3

As you mentioned, if this is an intranet application, you should not be bothered about the size of the swf file. However, if your application is going to be accessed from internet, you need to keep in mind not only your swf file size but also the size of the other resource files (such as images, audio, video if you are using any of them). There is no thumb rule which can be followed to decide on the maximum size of the swf file. As Sebastien has also thrown some light on this, it depends on many factors. Right from network bandwidth to user's computer configuration to the complexity of the application. Ideally your main swf should be below 500 kb even in extreme case.

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                          pauland Level 4

Dajji wrote:

. Ideally your main swf should be below 500 kb even in extreme case.

It is easy to build flex applications larger than 500KB. I wouldn't consider 500KB flex applications as particularly large or extreme.

• 10. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                            Dajji Level 3

You can build anything but user experience is what matters the most. Having anything higher then 500kb would have an impact on load time of the application.

• 11. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                              pauland Level 4

Dajji wrote:

You can build anything but user experience is what matters the most. Having anything higher then 500kb would have an impact on load time of the application.

It's negligible and unnoticeable on an intranet and barely noticable on broadband on the internet. Often the application just sits in the users browser cache.

• 12. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                Dajji Level 3

I am also considering people who do not have high bandwidth. Because in real life scenarios you will find many users with low bandwidth.

• 13. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                  Sebastien V. Level 3

500 Kb is absolutely not a big Flex application.

I've seen 6 Mb application running fine on the internet (but taking between 5 seconds and 1m30s to load depending on the client computer and the network quality). This is somehow "extreme" but 500 Kb isn't. As soon as you need to embed images, libraries or such the swf size will grow above...

On an intranet with a good bandwidth I would say that anything below 3 Mb won't be any problems. If the application needs to be accessed from 56K internet connections the size should probably not exceed 1 Mb.

• 14. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                    pauland Level 4

Dajji wrote:

I am also considering people who do not have high bandwidth. Because in real life scenarios you will find many users with low bandwidth.

What is the profile of your users and their expected runtime environment?

Your "swf limit" is going to be very different if your users are running windows NT on dialup compared to running on an intranet on the latest machines.

• 15. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                      pauland Level 4

Sebastien V. wrote:

500 Kb is absolutely not a big Flex application.

I've seen 6 Mb application running fine on the internet (but taking between 5 seconds and 1m30s to load depending on the client computer and the network quality). This is somehow "extreme" but 500 Kb isn't. As soon as you need to embed images, libraries or such the swf size will grow above...

On an intranet with a good bandwidth I would say that anything below 3 Mb won't be any problems. If the application needs to be accessed from 56K internet connections the size should probably not exceed 1 Mb.

56K dialup and 1MB .. I think that might be painful. Brings back memories of Netscape..

• 16. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                        Sebastien V. Level 3

Theoretically 1 Mb with a 56K it should take about 2m 30s to load the swf... Painfull but can be done...

The topic here was an intranet, I sincerely hope that the intranet bandwidth is above 56Kbps, otherwise keeping the swf size appropriate may give you serious headaches...

• 17. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                          Dajji Level 3

Guys, I did mention intranet seperately. The original question was about intranet only and for that the swf file size would not matter much. However, I mentioned that there are many factors to decide on the maximum size of the swf file size for internet applications. Just to conclude from my side, the file size should be kept as low as possible so that it loads faster on user's system. Today, waiting for 1 minute for an application to load is not considered very good. It's like hell for users and they leave the site. Therefore, a considerable amount of time should be spent on architecting the application to provide better user experience.

Kiran, I hope you would have got some helpful inputs with this discussion.

• 18. Re: Maximum size of an swf file of an Application
                                            kiran7881 Level 1

Thank you very much to all , now i am least concerned as it is Intranet Application