7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 11:03 AM by ECBowen

Graphic Card - which series

KamilekPOL

Hello. I have now GTX285 and test it in cs5, it works great,many footage with effects is smooth  and rendering is fast. I read about hack other gpu from nvidia that works with MPE too. I think about sell my card for different ( example: gts250 ) for save money. And now is my question. GTS250 or other card will be slower in rendering than my gtx285?? Or in another stuff ?? If yes, what cause that MPE is better ?? value of memory, core, shader ?? Response please.

• 1. Re: Graphic Card - which series
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, yes, cores, cores.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Graphic Card - which series
            KamilekPOL Level 1

number of cores ?? value of core ?? GTS250 has 128 cores and value is 750mHz, GTX285 has 256 cores and 750 too. I dont think so gtx285 is 2 times better ?

• 3. Re: Graphic Card - which series
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep it stupidly simple. KISS.

If you have a PC and put in a new CPU that is twice as fast or has double the cores, does it double its performance? No way. For the simple reason that total performance is dependent on the whole system, CPU, Video, memory and disk I/O. Doubling the performance of one component will not result in the doubling of performance for the whole chain, it is still imited by the weakest link.

Doubling the cores in a CPU does not lead to double the performance.

Same with graphics cards. Cores are the overriding factors, but memory and bus speeds and driver implementaion and software support play a major role as well.

• 4. Re: Graphic Card - which series
                Igor Valentovitch Level 1

I have the GTS250 and it utilizes the MPE just fine after the softmod in CS5. GTX285 would definitely outperfom my 250. The fact that both cards will indicate 'yellow' line does not mean that will perform very similar. I would keep the 285 if I were you. I'm still waiting to see if there is significant difference in performance b/w the gtx285 and the new Fermi models that would justify the purchas of a card from the new 400-series over 200 ones.

Harm, have you come across any comparative results already? I'm mostly concerned about smooth playback of 3+ layers on the timeline of avchd files in their native resolution.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Graphic Card - which series
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I tried it yesterday after the 5.0.1 update with 6 HDV tracks, 1 title track and 1 transparent/timecode track, all of the video tracks with a MPE enabled effect and scaliing/position applied to create 6 PIP's and it played without problems. Further testing needs to be done, but initial results were very, very promising, especially considering the rather dated drivers and the official lack of support of the Fermi range.

• 6. Re: Graphic Card - which series
                    Igor Valentovitch Level 1

That's a good news. Did you softmod the Fermi card (which card did you use?) to enable the MPE or the CS5 automatically did that after the 5.0.1 update?

• 7. Re: Graphic Card - which series
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes the 5.0.1 patch removed the limiter for the 285GTX card. I have not confirmed yet if it will also for the 480GTX but I am sure the days of the limiter are gone thank goodness.Adobe 1 Nvidia 0