2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2007 9:59 AM by Newsgroup_User

Web Site structure for lots of adds

carlosalt Level 1
      hi
      I am going to design a new web site which is about my local area. My intention is for it to be a source of information for the local community and contain lots of small buisness adds.

I need to make sure that vistors can easily find what they are looking for ie a Takeaway in amongst many other adds
      My intention was to structure the site using menus such that visitors can find what they are looking for.
      However should I be doing this as a database rather than a manual selection method. If so please give me some pointers.

I want to make sure that all adds are easily found and not just the ones that appear at the top of a particular page.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Web Site structure for lots of adds
          cdeatherage Level 3
          I think the best way to start would be for you to canvas the web for sites similar to the one you want to author. Judge which ones work the way you see yours functioning. Learn how those sites were put together and then figure out how to do something similar.

I've not used databases in a website, so I can't offer any advise on the pros and cons. But I can understand how a well organized database set up could make managing your site easier.

The non-DB route that occurs to me is that every page in your site could link to another page called "Site Sponsors" (for example). Clicking that link would open a page where all of the current advertisers are listed in alphabetical order and possibly grouped by business category ("Health Services," "Restaurants," etc.). Clicking on the advertiser's name could either direct the user to that company's own website home page or open a new browser window that displays the current ad placed by that advertiser on your site.

Good luck!
          • 2. Re: Web Site structure for lots of adds
            Level 7
            You'll probably want to use some sort of ad management software to automate
            ad rotation, measure click throughs, etc. Ask your host which server-side
            scripts and databases your server supports then look at HotScripts.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Ad_Management/index.html

--Nancy O.
            Alt-Web Design & Publishing
            www.alt-web.com

"carlosalt" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:f9pvf4$iaj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > hi
            > I am going to design a new web site which is about my local area. My
            > intention is for it to be a source of information for the local community
            and
            > contain lots of small buisness adds.
            >
            > I need to make sure that vistors can easily find what they are looking
            for ie
            > a Takeaway in amongst many other adds
            > My intention was to structure the site using menus such that visitors can
            find
            > what they are looking for.
            > However should I be doing this as a database rather than a manual
            selection
            > method. If so please give me some pointers.
            >
            > I want to make sure that all adds are easily found and not just the ones
            that
            > appear at the top of a particular page.
            >
            > Thanks
            >