8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 9:26 AM by the_wine_snob

Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5

Colin Brougham Level 6

Please forgive the n00bish question, but having never used an Adobe trial version before, I'm mildly clueless about the following:

I installed the PPro CS5 trial and started tinkering with a few projects to see if I should bite of the upgrade now. Like many of you, I've decided it was well worth the upgrade, even on my aging hardware. At this moment, by Production Premium CS5 upgrade is in the care of the Fedex man, so I'm anxiously awaiting the conversion of the trial to the registered version.

With just Premiere Pro, it seems to be just a matter of entering your serial number to unlock the registered version... but what about going from PPro to the full suite? Do I need to blow away the trial and install the suite anew, or can I install over the top of the trial and all will be well? In a perfect scenario, I'd just wipe my hard drive and start over with a fresh install of the OS and all programs, but I've got to hit the ground running--actually busy!

Thanks for your help...

• 1. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I it were me i would do a clean install.

• 2. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
            onqfilm

I installed the trial (multiple programs from the Production Suite), then simply entered my retail serial number. Part of that process was the download and installation of the codecs not included in the trial.

Having said that, I am now encountering a problem with the 5.01 updater for the electronic download version of the suite for PC. It does appear to be a problem with the update file itself and not my installation, but it is unresolved at the moment.

I don't think there is any downside to just entering your serial number in the trial version..... then when time allows, and if you have any issues, install from your discs.

• 3. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks, Ann... I think you're correct. What's a few hours, anyway?

• 4. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
                Colin Brougham Level 6

The problem is, I'm going from JUST Premiere Pro (well, and OnLocation and Encore) to Premiere Pro plus all of the other application in the Production Premium suite (i.e. After Effects, SoundBooth, Photoshop, etc.). I'll HAVE to install from the discs, no matter what, but my question was whether it was OK to go over the top of the trial install--I believe the answer is "no" but thought I'd check anyway.

• 5. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Colin,

Just like 'Deactivate' is generally suggested, clean installs are generally suggested and especially with suite changes. It is so easy to destroy DL or other advantages of a suite versus indidividual programs, that the install time is negligent, It does not take hours, but mere minutes.

I would be interested to see what the Production Premium Suite takes in terms of disk space, number of files and directories after installation with everything installed.

• 6. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Maybe slightly off-topic here, but then maybe not. In another thread, you made mention of the duplication of all possible languages, with all programs in a suite installation. The question that I have is if a suite installation allows one to customize to just the required language.

Just wondering about the bloating and duplication (triplication, etc.) of this type of file, when installing all the apps. in a suite.

TIA,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

It could be simple, like Microsoft does with Windows.

Microsoft probably sells in even more countries than Adobe, but they keep a simple rule for OEM installations: ONE language (EN) is required.

Adobe follows a different approach, they install in total 42 languages, completely missing the other 5,000+ languages.

Adobe misses for instance Hindi, Javanese, Punjabi, Wu, Telugu, Tamil, Cantonese, Tagalog, Gujarati, Min, Wolof, Mandinka and numerous others.

I have suggested to use the Common directory for installing the license agreements and other paraphernalia ONLY in the install language and possibly the OS language, if different. That would clean up the installation and reduce clutter and performance degradation.

As I said in another post, cleaning up saves over 1,600 directories and over 2,000 files in the Production Premium Suite alone and reduces my CS5 PPS to less than 3.47 GB.

• 8. Re: Going from CS5 Trial to retail Production Premium CS5
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

What, no Javanese?

That answers my question - just clean up afterwards. I would like to see the adoption your suggestion - one common folder for all the extra "stuff."

Thanks,

Hunt

PS - it's somewhat similar to the way that PrE handles multiple languages in its DVD/BD Library content. Each Menu Set contains PSD's with every supported language. PrE does sort out the installed language and chooses that, when one authors. Still, the PSD's are much larger, than will likely ever be needed, since all languages are included. If I do any work with those Menu Sets, I just Delete all Button Layer Sets, for the other languages and the total file sizes shrink by about 80%.