10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 1:39 AM by hellopaul_1

unlinking video files on close?! CS5

breonsnow

Hello you'll,

Hope someone can help me out...as this is becoming abit frustrating!

I have 12 mpegs videos all HD 24p (720) captured fine in to Premiere...but when I close the project/exit the programe and then reopen it all the files are "unlinked" ?? So then I have to relink them all and wait for the system to re-conform the files....as they are large files this is taking so long...and having to relink them over & over and wait...is becoming quite tiresome.

Has anyone had the same issue? and have you got a solution for it?

Cheers in advance!

Breon.

• 1. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

These kind of problems do occur when drive letters change, when using USB externals, when there was insufficient patience to let indexing, conforming and generating peak files finish, or other more obscure reasons.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Breon,

To address Harms' statement on the "common causes," can you tell us the location of those Asset files? Does your location fit into Harm's comments? Is a network involved in your configuration?

This is not common, other than as Harm has stated, so that might well be the simple answer. Otherwise, it should not be happening and could indicate another problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
              breonsnow Level 1

Hi Sirs!

Thank you both very much for the prompt responce! You are partly right - the footage was captured on two seprate computers, then all the files were moved (via a usb external drive) and placed in one location on one computer - we then created a new project and imported all the files into this one...thus to regenerate the preview files and any other assosciated files needed.

This on the surface looks fine...it creates the folders and assosicated files (from what I can see) and works fine once all the mpegs are loaded in and conformed.

But when we close the programe thats when the problem begins - we have tried to reset the paths, etc. but nothing seems to rebulid the project and keep all the files assosicated to each other?

Very strange...as I have never seen this problem before! Any other ideas? or ways of regenerating the file structures or resting the paths?

Thank you again in advance!

Cheers Breon.

• 4. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep in mind that to use 2 computers with the same project and files, the Media Cache and the Media Cache Database files need to be duplicated as well, otherwise you will run into reindexing/reconforming issues like you described.

• 5. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe not exactly your case, but I migrate Projects between my laptop and my workstation all of the time. For this, I use FW-800 7200RPM externals and as Harm states, will place Copies of all Assets into my Project's folder hierarchy. All Scratch Disks are located there, as well. For flat-out performance, this is not ideal, but allows for the migration with no issues, so I pay a little performance hit.

Now, the secret to doing it this way is the assignment of the external's drive letter. I do this in the OS of each computer, when I format and set up each new external, and then mark each with the drive letter, say Z:\. This allows each OS to see that external as Z:\, whenever I plug it in and wherever I plug it in. Everything is contained on that/those HDD(s).

This eliminates the need to ever have to locate any Assets, or to re-Conform any. Even my Preview (Renders) files are located on the externals.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                    jeremy d. Level 3

You will see improved linking soon.

• 7. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Nice to know and thanks, as always.

Hunt

• 8. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                        breonsnow Level 1

Hi Sirs'

Thank you for your time and responces - we redownloaded the footage but it seems that we still need to relink all the media when we start the project! but at least all the conforming has been do!

Thank you again for your help and time. I am looking forward to the linking updates that are planned.

Kind Regards,

Breon.

• 9. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Breon,

You are most welcome. Around here, we try.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: unlinking video files on close?! CS5
                            hellopaul_1 Level 1

Actually I got a similar problem. I've opened the Premiere and After Effects, cut the footage inside premiere and then I wanted to color grade some of the clips. So I've chosen "replace with AE composition", done my color grading in AE, saved the project IN AE in the location of my Premiere project. Then, in Premiere I've checked if there are color graded cuts (there was) and saved the project again in Premiere. And it worked until I closed the Premiere. Every time I re-open the Premiere, I must click on every color graded composition in my project panel and "link media". Plus, I have to do it separately 'cause my computer is so slow that Premiere crashes everytime I want to link all compositions at once