27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 8:06 AM by the_wine_snob

Capture Device Offline

dswift743

I'm using a Sony FX1000 for the first time.  Just shot some footage in  HD.  I have the camera connected to the computer via 1394 plug.   Computer states "found new hardware," but camera does not show up in My  Computer.  My capture box is black and the message above reads Capture  Device Offline.  Under Device Control I have tried HD setting as well as  USB Video Class, as recommended on PE elements site.  No dice.  Any  ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Doug

• 1. Re: Capture Device Offline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

What Mode is the camera set to? Not showing in My Computer could point to it not being in the correct Mode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Capture Device Offline
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If Windows does not fully recognize and "see" the device, you will never connect to PreEl

You need to figure out what is wrong between Windows and the device

• 3. Re: Capture Device Offline
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would first ensure that you're connecting via FireWire and not USB. (I point this out, since you tried a USB Video Class setting.) Premiere Elements will not capture from this camcorder over USB.

You also won't see  your camcorder under My Computer when you're connected via FireWire. You will, however, see a little icon of a camcorder on the right side of your Windows Task Bar if you have a valid connection. Is that the case?

As John points out, if Windows doesn't recognize the connection, then nothing is going to work. And, unless you're using a valid FireWire IE-1394 connection, Windows won't recognize the connection.

• 4. Re: Capture Device Offline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

You are correct, regarding My Computer. I was thinking Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager.

Thanks for that correction.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Capture Device Offline
                  dswift743 Level 1

Thanks, guys.  The camera is set to "VCR," but as you all suggest, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I only tried that "USB" setting because I was trying ideas on the the PE site.  It is a firewire to an IE-1394 connection.  The camera shows it is connected via what it calls "iLink."  But no, no camera icon on the Windows Task Bar, and I am no longer even getting the "new device detected" message when I disconnect and reconnect.  So that seems to be the problem link.  I have previously used a firewire through this port, with different and numerous cameras.  But perhaps I should take a look inside the computer to make sure conections are secure.  Any other suggestions would be welcome, tho I realize this is not a PE problem at this point.

Doug

• 6. Re: Capture Device Offline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

If you have another IEEE-1394 FW cable handy, I'd try that.

If you have other IEEE-1394 ports, I would try them.

If you have ANY other FW devices plugged in, remove them and try again. Many/most cameras want to be on a single controller chip. This is NOT just a separate port, but a separate chip. Say your MoBo has 2 IEEE-1394 ports, you'd need to check the schematic to see if they connect to a single controller chip, or to multiple controller chips.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one thing that could be causing similar would be a bad IEEE-1394 port on the camera, but let's X our fingers that this is not your case.

• 7. Re: Capture Device Offline

Further what Hunt recommends, you may want to try plugging the camcorder into a friend's computer's FireWire port too -- just to ensure it's not your FireWire port that's bad!

• 8. Re: Capture Device Offline
                        dswift743 Level 1

Well, I just had a go-around with Sony.  The camera does appear to be connected.  It appears under Device Manager with a yellow exclamation point next to it.  Sony's idea was to download a driver for the iLink card, but on the Sony site it states that no drivers are needed for Windows XP, nor are any offered.  To make things stranger, I used the same camera, same cable, and computer with same XP program, and had no trouble.  Do you think this still points to the port, despite the message under Device Manager?  The port has worked in the past.

Thanks for hanging with me, guys.  I appreciate it.

Doug

• 9. Re: Capture Device Offline

That exclamation point means something wrong with that card. Quite likely even a corrupted driver.

Sony is right. The DV codec and the FireWire driver are standard features on pretty much every computer these days.

Have you gone to Windows Update and manually downloaded all -- even the non-critical -- updates? There may be a driver update you missed.

• 10. Re: Capture Device Offline
                            nealeh Level 5

I'd be inclined to uninstall the device from Device Manager, restart the PC and plug-in again.

Probably not much help to you but my (USB) Sony A100 camera is only ever recognised in Windows if it is switched on BEFORE connecting to the PC. It might be worth trying but that's a lot of camcorder to be chancing things connecting while powered up. (Deep down I always harboured a hope that it would fry my camera to give me a good reason for getting a new one (lusting for an A330 or A380) )

Cheers,
                            --
                            Neale
                            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 11. Re: Capture Device Offline
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

The only IEEE-1394 issues that I can recall are with Win7. You obviously have XP, so those issues should not come into play.

I have several IEEE-1394's on my computers, and the only ones that require a driver are for IEEE-1394b (FW-800). All others, whether on MoBo, or add-in cards just plug-n-play.

I'd follow Steve's suggestion, just to see if it's your IEEE-1394 port on the card/computer. We should then be able to rule that out, if your borrowed computer shows the same issue. This would be where I would have an extra iLink cable handy, to rule that out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                dswift743 Level 1

OK, I downloaded some updates from Microsoft, shut down, restarted, turned on the camera before hooking up, all with the same results: the yellow exclamation point.  I don't have a second cable, and won't be able to get one until tomorrow (and I won't have the camera tomorrow), but am I correct in assuming that we have narrowed it down to either the cable or the port?  As I've mentioned earlier, the cable has just worked on a very similar computer (exact same Windows XP set-up), so would that make the port the primary suspect?

Thanks again,

Doug

• 13. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You can possibly rule out the cable then.

Do you have any other IEEE-1394 devices that you can test on the computer's port?

BTW - is this port on a separate card, or from the MoBo?

If on the MoBo, do you have any spare PCI/PCIe slots available? If so, IEEE-1394 cards are cheap.

If it's the port on the camera, then that will take a trip to the repair shop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Capture Device Offline

I'm still concerned because, as I understand it, an exclamation point means a problem with the driver, not the hardware. Am I right?

If that's the case, you can try right-clicking on that exclamation point and just deleting uninstalling the FireWire port -- just in case it's somehow corrupted.

Unplug the camcorder from the computer and then plug it in again. Windows should supply a fresh FireWire driver.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what else to recommend. As we've said, FireWire is pretty universal. You don't need a special one for each cam. I can't imagine what your computer isn't seeing.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      If that's the case, you can try right-clicking on that exclamation point and just deleting uninstalling the FireWire port -- just in case it's somehow corrupted.

If that is the case, I'd delete the port from the Hardware>Device Manager, and then reboot, allowing Windows to find it, and install anything necessary. That should clear up the port issue, other than the mechanical aspect. Pins could be bent, corroded, or broken. If the camera, when plugged in and turned on, throws that warning message, then further detective work would need to be done.

Just a guess on my part, but I am leaning to a port issue, on either the card/MoBo, or on the camera. That was why it was suggested to try that camera on another computer, and just try WMM to Capture from it, if PrE was not available.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a look at my IEEE-1394 controllers and drivers in XP-Pro SP3:

IEEE-1394_Drivers.jpg

How do the driver versions match up?

Also, if you Rt-click on the warning triangle, do you get any message pop-up?

I'd also do a cold boot, then plug-in the camera and turn it on. Next, look in Event Viewer>System and see if there are any warning, or error messages there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                          dswift743 Level 1

I have found another cable, and same result.  So we can rule out cable.

Steve, I did what you suggested.  This brought back the Found New Hardware message when I plugged the camera back in.  The yellow exclamation point also returned.  Now, I should mention that the Found New Hardare message asked if it could connect to Windows Update to search for software to support the driver.  The third time I had said yes, and it started doing something for the IEEE port, but then it issued a dire warning about this action having a possibly permanent and negative effect on my computer.  I cancelled the action.  What do you think, should I go for it?

Hunt, I was unable to delete IEEE from device manager, or from install/uninstall.  Not sure how I would manage that manuevre.

Thanks for your persistence, guys.

• 18. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                                            Hunt, I was unable to delete IEEE from device manager, or from install/uninstall.  Not sure how I would manage that manuevre.

This is done from Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager. Basically, you can see most of that in the above image. Since you have XP, IIRC, your path should be the same, or very similar, to mine.

Thanks for ruling out the cable. One less aspect to consider.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Forgot to add Rt-click and choose Uninstall from the drop-down menu.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 19. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                              dswift743 Level 1

Hunt,

I was able to use your comparison.  I hadn't seen the drop down action.  So I unistalled the IEEE port, and now, upon restarting, I have the same problem with the port as I had with the camera.  The computer recognizes new hardware, it is asking to connect to Windows Update to search from software, and this is where I get the dire message about doing immediate or future harm to my computer.  Meanwhile, I now have the yellow exclamation point next to IEEE1394 controller.  Is this progress?

• 20. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                dswift743 Level 1

Steve, Hunt, and others,

OK, I have reinstalled this port driver.  Maybe the moral of this story is to not be scared by Big Brother.  I disregarded the scary message from Microsoft about "impair or destabilize" etc, etc, and charged ahead with the update on the port driver.  No problem.  Since I'm getting the exact same message on the driver for the camera, I now have the resolve to do the same there.  I think this will be the solution.  The camera is gone for now with its real owner, but it will be back on Tuesday evening.  I'll update then.

Thanks so much again.  If you were close by I'd buy you coffee.

Doug

• 21. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

In this case, the message is just a notification. You do want to completely re-install the port, and then the camera.

When you have the camera back, I would repeat the process, and let's X our fingers, that the driver updating will solve the issue.

Good luck, and please report, when you have the camera back.

Hunt

PS - if you're in the US, Happy Memorial Day weekend! If not in the US, have a great weekend. Summer is officially here.

• 22. Re: Capture Device Offline

Well, Hunt is in Arizona. But, if you're ever in the Milwaukee area, be sure to drop by!

Bring your computer and I'll even look it over for you!

And coffee sounds wonderful!

• 23. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                      dswift743 Level 1

Steve,

I will keep that in mind.  I could always use someone with knowledge to look over my computer, but I find that almost always my problem is the computer user.

Well I got the camera back late last night and put my plan into operation.  Still no go.  I did get the yellow exclamation point to show up in PE, so maybe that was progress.

I did some more research, which really focused the problem on my VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.  Why won't it connect with the camera?  I found on a thread that someone had luck switching to the Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller Card.  I took another look at Hunt's set-up, and I see that he uses this card.  So I am currently waiting for the local computer shops to open to see if any of them can help me out.

Wish me luck.

Doug

• 24. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                        dswift743 Level 1

BUT, I can't find the card anywhere for sale.  Any ideas?  Hunt, what'll you take for yours? 

• 25. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, unfortunately for you, that is the chip-set on my laptop's MoBo.

Here is the mfgr. for all of my FW-800 cards and ExpressCards - SIIG.

This is the SUPPLIER, from whom I have bought most of my cables and cards.

I live not too far from a Fry's Electronics, (Western US computer/electronics store), but often find that they have lower-end stuff, so do not hesitate to order on-line.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 26. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                            dswift743 Level 1

Well, well, success. Here is a very useful link for anyone else with these problems.

http://www.myvideoproblems.co.uk/ProblemPages/CannotCapture.htm

As far as what finally did it for me, I must say, I'm puzzled.  I updated the driver of my firewire port one more time (I'm positive I did that earlier), and this time the computer successfully accepted the new hardware.  Maybe the first time the camera was still plugged in, and this time it wasn't.  Anyway, I'm not complaining.

I do have a new issue, and maybe I need to start a new thread.  The right third of the image in the capture window only seems to have captured greens.  I've shot outdoors in nature.  The grasses and trees look fine, except for fine verticle red lines; but when a person walks into that part of the image they lose all color, or turn a sickly green.  I did put setting to HDV 1080i, moved another setting back from usb to hdv, and set camera output to 16:9.  But maybe there's another setting I'm missing.  The image in the camera's LCD playback window looks great and shows none of these problems.

Take Care,

Doug

• 27. Re: Capture Device Offline
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Doug,

Glad to hear the good news! That saved me having to rip out my MoBo and Fed-X it to the UK.

I would start another thread, regarding the other issue.

When you do, please recap your equipment, i.e. computer and camera, plus Project Preset. That will help others, who may not have been in this thread.

Also, if you could post a couple of screen-caps, showing your Timeline and your Program Monitor with these anomalies displayed. Might be something there.

Also, have you updated to the latest video driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful