6 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2010 6:09 PM by Adam York

extend using both actionscript and mxml

Adam York

I have a custom component , called contentblade. It lives in dev.components. I want to lay out its children in mxml , but i need to override some methods , ie , measure etc. I dont want to write all of that inside fx:Script tags. I figured ah this would be simple enough , ive done this  before. So in dev.components i created another directory called contentBlade , and create a new class in that package called ContentBladeBase ,  that extends SkinnableContainer , and implements IUIComponent. My problem is the constructor for .as file never gets called unless a instantiate a new instace inside the ContentBlade.mxml file. Do i HAVE to #include the as file into the mxml file ? I assumed ,  xmlns="dev.components.contentBlade.* , namespace declaration would take care of that. Im trying to streamline my dev process.

Main.mxml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
      <mx:Application
                      xmlns:fx="http://ns.adobe.com/mxml/2009"
                      xmlns:s="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark"
                      xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx"
                      xmlns:ay="dev.components.*"
                      layout="absolute"
                      width="100%"
                      height="100%"
                      frameRate="30"
                      viewSourceURL="./source/public.txt">
          <mx:Canvas id="base"
                     width="100%"
                     height="100%"
                     autoLayout="false">
              <ay:ContentBlade/>
          </mx:Canvas>
      </mx:Application>

ContentBlade.mxml

<s:SkinnableContainer
                          xmlns="dev.components.contentBlade.*"
                          xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx">

</s:SkinnableContainer>

ContentBladeBase.as

package dev.components.contentBlade
      {
          import flash.geom.Vector3D;
          import mx.core.DesignLayer;
          import mx.geom.TransformOffsets;
          import spark.components.SkinnableContainer;
          import flash.geom.Matrix3D;
          import flash.display.DisplayObjectContainer;
          import mx.core.IVisualElement;
          import flash.events.Event;
          import flash.geom.Matrix;
          import mx.core.IUIComponent;

public class ContentBladeBase extends SkinnableContainer implements IUIComponent
          {
              public function ContentBladeBase()
              {
                  super();
                  trace( "NEW ContentBladeBase" );
              }
          }
      }

• 1. Re: extend using both actionscript and mxml
          UbuntuPenguin Level 4

Could you explain better what you are trying to accomplish ?  And you don't need to have "implements IUIComponent" , the SkinnableComponent class extends UIComponent which implements IUIComponent.

• 2. Re: extend using both actionscript and mxml
            Adam York Level 1

absolutely. I have a need for a custom component that will contain several child components. The custom component will have a spark skin. The custom component i have create , as you can see , extends SkinnableContainer. From my reading i felt this was a good spark component to extend from as im going to have several , possibly unrelated spark components as children of this component. I want to lay the children out within the mxml , for example

ContentBlade.mxml

<s:SkinnableContainer
                                xmlns="dev.components.contentBlade.*"
                                xmlns:mx="library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx">

<s:Button/>         <-------------------etc

<mx:DataGrid/>   <------------------- etc

</s:SkinnableContainer>

I also need to have several of the skinnable containers inherited methods , overriden , for example measure() , draw() , onCreationComplete(). etc.

I want explicit control over those. Now i have seen and written myself , in the past , custom componets soley in actionscript. and just point the namespace to the actiosncript class. I have also written components , solely , in mxml , using the fx:Script tag to define which methods i want to override. In this case i want have my custom componet use both , the .as i posted above , and the mxml. I want ContentBlade.mxml , and ContentBladeBase.as to be the same thing. I could write the whole component is as , but its so much faster for me to create all of the children in mxml. Does that make sense ?

• 3. Re: extend using both actionscript and mxml
              UbuntuPenguin Level 4

I'm not sure the motivation behind making a class in mxml and another in as ?  Just make the class in mxml , and override the methods you want in the fx:Script block.

• 4. Re: extend using both actionscript and mxml
                Adam York Level 1

because A) its ugly and cumbersome , and B) Im using Flex Builder 3 , and the flex 4 sdk spark libs fx:Script declarations no longer highlight , syntax check , or color. Its just this big grey mass of text. Let me ask you , or if anyone else cares to chime in , this ... if you needed to have a component that contained a drop down , a grid of images , and a text field , and you need to be able to style each one of these child components with it own spark skin , and you need these child components and the parent compents to basic layout in a liquid manner on resize , how would you do it ?

• 5. Re: extend using both actionscript and mxml
                  UbuntuPenguin Level 4

Each component would have its own skin class.  You don't need to override anything to do this.  The logic behind setting up the layout and skinning can be seperated.

SuperContainer.mxml

<SkinnableContainer>

<Layout>

<VerticalLayout/>

</Layout>

<DropDown width="20%" height="10%" skinClass="com.ubu.skins.dropDownSkins.SomeSkinClass" />

<List dataProvider={dp} height="80%" width="100%" itemRenderer="com.ubu.renderers.AwesomeRenderer">

<Layout>

<TileLayout />

</Layout>

</List>

<TextInput width="110" skinClass="com.ub.skins.TextSkins.SuperSkin" />

</SkinnableContainer>

Meanwhile, in another piece of code.

<custom:SuperContainer skinClass="com.ubu.containerSkins.SuperContainerSkin" width="100%  height="100%"/>

Of course , you could make that your component and THEN create the skin class , but you get the picture.

If this post was helpful please mark it as such.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: extend using both actionscript and mxml
                    Adam York Level 1

thanks penguin. I suppose what i was looking for was some form of multiple inheritance. But , alas , it appears as though the only way to do it is to use the include directive , and thats just ugly. Thanks for you help !!