28 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 7:37 AM by carl_g

CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit

DavidMozer

Just a heads up for all those that are running Windows 7 [in my case its the Ultimate version] 64 bit OS:

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and hit Live View OR you want to preview the page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 You will not see the Video or its skin -- you may see a whole bunch of other undesirable stuff.

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and publish that to you webserver [without using Live View or without using Previewing in IE/Firefox] THAT will work -- in other words the FLV movie and its corresponding skin will display and work properly.

If your inserting SWF files containing or pointing to a FLV movie in your HTML page and hit Live View OR you want to previw that page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 You may or may not see the the Flash image when using Live View or previewing in IE8 or FireFox 3.6.3 depending on where some imporant files get placed by Dreamweaver -- but if it works for you and you publish that HTML page to your Website the SWF Flash image will not work or render.

I've got a couple of Case files open with Adobe technicle Support addressing these 2 issues --- so hopefully this will get resolved in time [I am hoping that it gets resolved sooner versus later]

There are some other very annoying minor issues, like CSS pages dissapearing from the workspace and some property buttons do inovoke CS5 linked applications like Flash Professional CS5

BTW, I have tried 3rd part extensions for FLV like WebStunning Video (FLV) Player and surprisingly this works fine using the same 64 bit environment -- Live view and Preview etc all work --- but I want the native SWF/FLV support to work like it should.

• 1. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

DavidMozer wrote:

Just a heads up for all those that are running Windows 7 [in my case its the Ultimate version] 64 bit OS:

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and hit Live View OR you want to preview the page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 You will not see the Video or its skin -- you may see a whole bunch of other undesirable stuff.

Maybe that's what you see, but it's definitely not what I see.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. FLV and and SWF work just fine in Live View. I have just run a test with the latest version of Dreamweaver CS5 with the BrowserLab updater and the HTML 5 pack to make sure there has been no change.

It sounds as though there's a problem with your installation.

• 2. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
            DavidMozer Level 1

David Powers -- I Appreciate your feedback and its good to read that it works well for you under Windows 7 64 bit

I did re-install CS5 Web Premium but that did not change the behaviour.I described. When I reinstalled I did not at first un-install --- what I will try now is to uninstall then reinstall to see if that solves the problem -- unfortunately there is no repair capability and the installation process takes 1.2 hours on my Laptop from the DVD.

Update: A clean re-installation did not solve the problem. I have another desktop computer running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit where I installed CS5 Web Premium and I am experiencing the very exact same 2 issues. Very perplexing 4sure.

Message was edited by: DavidMozer

• 3. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
              DavidMozer Level 1
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

David_Powers wrote:

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. FLV and and SWF work just fine in Live View. I have just run a test with the latest version of Dreamweaver CS5 with the BrowserLab updater and the HTML 5 pack to make sure there has been no change.

It sounds as though there's a problem with your installation.

I also have the latest version of BrowserLab updater and the HTML 5 pack -- in my situation BrowserLab produces the following error:

Failed to upload dependent files to BrowserLab

Some of my dependent files [FLV] is 15 MB -- so I am assuming that there may be some BrowserLab file size limitations that produce this error condition ?

• 4. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                DavidMozer Level 1

DavidMozer wrote:

If your inserting SWF files containing or pointing to a FLV movie in your HTML page and hit Live View OR you want to previw that page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 You may or may not see the the Flash image when using Live View or previewing in IE8 or FireFox 3.6.3 depending on where some imporant files get placed by Dreamweaver -- but if it works for you and you publish that HTML page to your Website the SWF Flash image will not work or render.

The temporary solution to the SWF issue in my situation is as follows:

Since I created the SWF Object in Flash Professional CS5 -- FP placed all the published files in a specific directory folder I had chosen in the website I was building -- then in Dreamweaver CS5 I inserted the SWF object into my HTML page -- now to be able to Preview this specific page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 or in Live View I needed to move the specific skin I had selected from the specific directory folder to the site root folder -- publishing this to my staging web server also proved to be successful.

Why do I state temporary solution? When the SWF object is inserted in the HTML page using Dreamweaver CS5 -- DW should automatocally resolve the links to where the files reside in the specific directory folder chosen in the website.

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                  DavidMozer Level 1

Further Update: More observations;

Assuming the following site structure

\

_video

scripts

articles

assets

index.html

FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf

Using Flash Professional CS5 I create the Flash SWF object then save the work to the _video folder location then publish -- all the files are placed in the _video folder by FP.

In the _video folder I create a new webpage called videoflv.html

This works

In the videoflv.html page I insert the SWF object and using Live View everything works as expected plus Preview in IE8 and Firefox 3.6.3 works as expected

This does not work

Now in the site root I create a new web page called index.html and insert the Flash object that is located in the _video folder --- now when I use Live View the Flash does not show nor does using Preview in IE8 and Firefox 3.6.3 show the Flash.

To get the Flash to work using Live View etc. on the index.html page

I had to copy the SkinOverAllNoFullscreen.swf file from the _video folder to to the Root folder -- so now the site structure looks as follows

\

_video

scripts

articles

asserts

index.html

FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf

SkinOverAllNoFullscreen.swf

• 6. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                    DavidMozer Level 1

Specific to Windows 7 64 bit -- the FLV issue remain with no resolution is sight. Apparently this FLV issue has been escalated to the Dreamweaver developers.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                      DavidMozer Level 1

UPDATE: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit

The issue:

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and hit Live View OR you want to Preview the page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 You will not see the Video or its skin -- what you see are the graphic images used in the 'skin', (buttons etc) repeated a number of times.

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and publish that to you webserver [without first invoking Live View and/or without first invoking Preview mode using IE/Firefox] then THAT will work -- in other words the FLV movie and its corresponding skin will display and work properly when launched from your web-server.

Important information:

After inserting the FLV movie object into your HTML page what is very important to understand is the ACT of invoking Live View and/or  invoking Preview mode scrambles the code somehow which destroys the rendering and presentation layer --- if you publish this work to your webserver You will not see the Video or its skin -- what you see are the graphic images used in the 'skin', (buttons etc) repeated a number of times. Assuming you may want to publish this work so that the FLV movies displays and works as expected --- the only easy way --- is to delete the FLV object in design mode THEN reinsert the FLV object SAVE then immediately publish [synchronize with remote] to your webserver. If you feel comfortable working in Code view and know which code needs to be removed you could do it that way but design mode is much easier. [fyi, this information was provided to me by Adobe technical support in India]

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                        testing121212

Hi DavidMozer

I can confirm that what you say is true and this is not limited to 64bit systems or Windows 7. I am having the same problem on a 32bit XP machine.

I have investigated the theory about the code becoming scrambled and have run the working and non-working files through a comparison programme but they come up showing no differences whatsoever.

Also I have tried creating a new html file, adding the flv and then saving it locally. I then access the local file directly through my browser and the problem is still there. This tends to defeat the theory that it is Dreamweaver messing with the code at preview time.

Unlike your experience I have uploaded a file which would not work locally and found that it does work from the webserver. I have checked and all relevant files on both webserver and locally are in exactly the same place.

All of this was leading me to believe that the issue is caused by the FLV player (FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf). For some reason this requires the file to be on a web server to work correctly.

To test this theory I swapped out the file FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf with a version from Dreamweaver 8 and guess what, no problems playing the file locally or remotely at all.

What Adobe need to do is sort out the version of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf which ships with CS5 so that it can function locally also. In the meantime if you have any older versions of Dreamweaver kicking around, locate the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file and add it to the CS5 setup (after renaming the CS5 version first of course).

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                          DavidMozer Level 1

To test this theory I swapped out the file FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf with a version from Dreamweaver 8 and guess what, no problems playing the file locally or remotely at all.

I would like to test this out but I have no idea how to get the older version of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf -- when I checked the properties on this file I noticed that its very small 9.07KB

Have you been in contact with Adobe Labs regarding your fix -- any comments?

http://labs.adobe.com/

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                            DavidMozer Level 1

I found an older version of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf made for CS3

http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/downloads/APSB08-01.zip

Tried it out but this did not work.

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                              testing121212 Level 1

I have not contacted Adobe with this as it is just a workaround. Hopefully they will sort out the issues with the current version of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf at some point.

I have no idea if the CS3 version would work the same but the V8 version definitely did.

Basically what I did was to go to the installation folder for version 8 and run a search for FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf. I then renamed the version in my web project's folder to FLVPlayer_ProgressiveOLD.swf and then copied in the older version.

At that point I was able to view my FLV both in Preview and LiveView modes.

By all means give it a try. Hopefully it is considered ok for me to pass you the V8 file: http://www.mediafire.com/?ktwixmzuhny

It should theoretically also be possible to go to the CS5 installation folder, search for all instances of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf and rename them also. Then copy the older version to all of the same locations. Presumably the programme would then insert the older version for future use. I have not tried this as yet.

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                                DavidMozer Level 1

Thanks for providing your copy of the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file.

It worked --- amazing!

I'm going to contact Adobe and find out What in Tarnation’s is going on with this file versus the one they provide with CS5.

testing121212, THANK YOU very much!

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Insert FLV issue
                                  DavidMozer Level 1

The Fix that worked for me

The issue: Dreamweaver CS5 inserting FLV issue

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and hit Live View OR you want to Preview the page in IE8 or Firefox 3.6.3 You will not see the Video or its skin -- what you see are the graphic images used in the 'skin', (buttons etc) repeated a number of times.

If your inserting FLV files in your HTML page and publish that to you webserver [without first invoking Live View and/or without first invoking Preview mode using IE/Firefox] then THAT will work -- the FLV movie and its corresponding skin will display and work properly when launched from your web-server and viewed in your Internet browser

The tempory fix assuming that you have access to Dreamweaver version 8 FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file.

The following only Applies to Windows 7 [Other OS like Vista or XP may have different directory locations]

In the following 2 directories I renamed the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf to FLVPlayer_Progressive.old

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS5\configuration\Templates\Video_Player
                                  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Contribute CS5\App\Configuration\Templates\Video_Player

Then I copied the Dreamweaver 8 version of the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file into the same 2 directories

Now in Dreamweaver CS5 I insert the FLV movie into my HTML page, save, and use Live View or Preview in IE8 or FireFox 3.6.3 everything works the way that I expect it too.

So its apparent the problem is the FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file provided with Dreamweaver CS5.

What Adobe need to do is sort out the version of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf which ships with CS5 so that it can function locally also.

IMO THIS is a serious bug -- so I filed a bug report with Adobe.

I also informed the Adobe Technical support people of this fix since I have 2 cases open on the subject but so far they have not responded or acknowledged my feedback on this temporary fix. I must state that the Tech support that Adobe provides is somewhat impotent to put it in very mild terms. CS5 Web Premium costs a lot of money and one would expect that Adobe provide attentive Technical support –  I can state categorically that the support provided is absolutely not so.

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Insert FLV issue
                                    testing121212 Level 1

Hi DavidMozer.

Well...yes, that is pretty much what I said in my previous article! Credit to testing121212 for the DW8 workaround??

The fix/workaround does not of course only apply to Windows 7 just as the problem does not only occur in Windows 7.

If you are using Vista or XP, simply go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS5 and run a search in that directory for the file FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf. Make a note of the location/s, rename the originals and replace with the Dreamweaver 8 version. Job done!

In my XP installation for instance the file appears in: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS5\configuration\Templates\Video_Player. In Vista I would imagine the location to be the same as in Windows 7.

It should be noted that the Contribute location for FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf referred to in your post would only be appropriate if you actually have Contribute on your computer. Effectively the one that Dreamweaver uses is the one in the Dreamweaver directory.

CS5 Web Premium does indeed cost a fortune (and does contain Contribute) but the same problem is present in the standalone version of Dreamweaver (also not cheap). A response from Adobe would be nice!

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Insert FLV issue
                                      DavidMozer Level 1

testing121212 wrote:

Well...yes, that is pretty much what I said in my previous article! Credit to testing121212 for the DW8 workaround??

The fix/workaround does not of course only apply to Windows 7 just as the problem does not only occur in Windows 7.

Credit to testing121212 absolutly 100% --- sorry that I did not state that in my post.

The reason that I made that post is for the benefit of new readers so that they would not have to read through from the beginning and learn how-to.

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Insert FLV issue
                                        testing121212 Level 1

Yes indeed and all credit to you for that

Now if we could just get Adobe to do some explaining...or perhaps send us a few freebies for sorting out their problems

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Insert FLV issue
                                          DavidMozer Level 1

Heads Up:

On June 17, 2010 my Laptop running Windows 7 64 Bit and Web Premium CS5 resides -- as I was launching Dreamweaver -- I got a notice of a Flash 10.1 update for my system. After installing the update I reversed the changes I had made incorporating the Dreamweaver v8 FLVPlayer_Progressive file to see if that solves the problem. The update did not solve the problem so I reverted back to the Dreamweaver v8 FLVPlayer_Progressive file -- and as reported this version works.

IF you going to reverse the changes made [inserting the v8 FLVPlayer_Progressive and renaming the original FLVPlayer_Progressive to FLVPlayer_Progressive.old] I suggest that this procedure change --- COPY the original FLVPlayer_Progressive file to another new folder created specifically to hold this file and ALSO store the v8 FLVPlayer_Progressive file in a folder created specifically to hold this file. After the COPY has completed delete the original FLVPlayer_Progressive file from the original location.

For example -- assuming your Hard disk is labeled C;\

then create a folder called Adobe FLV temp Then create 2 additional folders --- FLV original and FLV v8

C:\Adobe FLV temp

C:\Adobe FLV temp\FLV original

C:\Adobe FLV temp\FLV v8

Do not add the swf extension to the v8 FLVPlayer_Progressive file. Do NOT rename the original  FLVPlayer_Progressive file to  FLVPlayer_Progressive.old --- on my system this had undesirable effects -- When inserting the FLV object Dreamweaver copied both files to my working local site and appended additional extensions onto the file names -- so FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf became FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf.swf and FLVPlayer_Progressive.old became FLVPlayer_Progressive.old.swf

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver CS5 Insert FLV issue
                                            testing121212 Level 1

Great info DavidMozer.

One thing though. There would be nothing in my workaround that would suggest to me that subsequent versions of Flash Player would solve the problem with the original FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file.

Now you have a working version from DW8, I would suggest not changing it again until Adobe come up with a revised version for CS5.

• 19. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                                              DavidMozer Level 1

Yes I agree with your suggestion. Unfortunately I have not had any acknowledgement from Adobe on the bug I reported or from the support case open on this issue. It's like Adobe do not want to admit that this is an issue caused by their code. It's no fun having a one sided conversation. I sure am glad that you, testing121212, piped up when you did, thank you.

• 20. Re: Adobe Technicle Support
                                                DavidMozer Level 1

Adobe Technic support wanted me to re-install CS5 Web Premium believing that would solve the problem --- They provided a un-install methodology [script to follow] --- I did this and the problem still persists.

Adobe have not addressed the FACT that by using the Dreamweaver version 8 of the FLVPlayer_Progressive file it solves the FLV issue --instead they put me through the LABORIOUS task of going through the un-install/re-install process.

I have lost complete faith in Adobe's Technical Support ability to solve this issue --  consequently I will not pursue this any more. I would not encourage anyone to use Adobe Technical Support -- a complete waste of time.

BTW, For those who may be interested in my technical skills you can visit my website --- http://www.itexpertoncall.com

• 21. Re: Adobe Technicle Support
                                                  testing121212 Level 1

Hi David

Doesn't surprise me at all! Certain things you get a gut feeling about and mine would have been that a reinstall would not solve the issue. It simply isn't a reinstall type problem. If it was it would not be solved by using the player from DW8.

My dealings with many different tech support people over the years have led me to deduce that, when they run out of ideas, reinstallation is all they have left. Never mind the fact that it is usually very inconvenient for the user. How many times have you heard of someone taking their pc into a high street store for repair only to be told that the best solution is to format the HD and reinstall the operating system. It's just a cure-all ploy for when they're stumped.

I have reached a point now where, if I don't feel that the end will justify the means, I just tell them I'm not going to do it and go looking elsewhere for a solution. There was a recent update for DW CS5. I'm guessing this issue wasn't addressed at all although I have not verified that. I am convinced that, if they checked out what you have told them by replicating the problem, they would soon realise that it is their coding that is at fault and not a dodgy installation at your end.

I guess it doesn't really matter as, after all, we have a solution which works fine. maybe if there are enough moans from others they will finally get round to sorting it out.

We can but hope.

• 22. Re: Adobe Technicle Support
                                                    Wilded1

I had an enquiry from an academic establishment who contacted me with this same problem.

I was able to re-create the problem here on just one of my PC's.

I cannot see any diffference at all beween that installation and the other three here.

So I'm as baffled as the rest.

The  dirty fix does work exactly as described, by copying the version 8  FLV_Progressive.swf file into the CS5 video_player folder, replacing the original file located there.

The machine that the fault was recreated on here is: PC, Intel Duo, Windows XP 32bit Business Edition, 2MB RAM.

It has appeared on Vista 32 & 64bit machines and a Windows-7 64bit machines to my knowledge as well.

Regards to all

Dave

• 23. Re: Adobe Technicle Support
                                                      PJ Turtle

I've been fighting with this since CS4 was released. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Replacing the FLVPlayer_progressive.swf file works perfectly. (Dirty fix -- I love it.)

Meanwhile, I wonder if Adobe thinks this is a feature. That's the only reason I can invent that explains their complete irresponsiblity in this matter.

So in the unlikely event that Adobe is monitoring these things, I have some news:

THIS IS NOT A FEATURE. IT'S A BUG. FIX IT.

• 24. Re: Adobe Technicle Support
                                                        Nini Tjader Level 4

There is no reason that there should be a bugfix for CS4 - CS5 has been out for almost a year by now.

• 25. Re: Adobe Technicle Support
                                                          Wilded1 Level 1

Hi Nini.

This thread is all about the CS5 version not the CS4 version of the software.

Take the time to read before you comment please.

• 26. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                                                            stellabenson

I too have the same problem when inserting a .flv file into Dreamweaver.  I have a 64 bit Win 7 o/s using CS5.  I have been using this for about 6 months now with no problem.  I am constantly using .flv files to update my website but his problem has only just started.  Firstly I thought it was a problem with the movie, then the browser but I get the same problem with both the 32bit explorer and 64 bit explorer, Firefox and Safari also produce this problem but Chrome seems ok at the moment. I have tried the solution that seems to have worked for some of replacing the Flash Player file in the program files but this hasn't worked for me and I now I have completely reinstalled the CS5 package but to no avail.  So I would be very interested if and when this issue is resolved.

• 27. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                                                              carl_g

I'd like to confirm this problem appears to persist in CS5.5 design premium on Win7 64 bit. I am opening the html locally and only see the player controls. I do not have access to the Flash Player 8 version (Testing121212, your link is sadly now private. I understand it is not your responsibility to carry the weight of Adobe's errors on your shoulders... )

Adobe, it strikes me that this is a case of a 'corrupted' version of FLVPlayer_Progresive getting into the distribution system somewhere and being replicated through different product bundles. I downloaded my copy of CS5.5 - did anyone buy from CD? Just curious. This has to be a 'rogue' FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf file - hunt it down and terminate it please!

• 28. Re: CS5 Web Premium - Dreamweaver CS5 under Windows 7 64 bit
                                                                carl_g Level 1

First, kudos to DavidMozer and Testing121212 - that must have been painful, I've only been tracking this issue for a couple of hours and it's been driving me up the wall. So to confirm, the issue is with a rogue copy of FLVPlayer_Progressive that has got into Adobe's fabrication pipeline somewhere. And I can prove this (haha!). As in previous post I had this problem with Dreamweaver from Design Premium CS5.5. [Long trawl through forum occurs at this point]. I noted the comments DavidMozer and Testing121212 and tried to hunt down a copy of Dreamweav er 8 - no luck. Instead I dragged out a copy of Dreamweaver CS3 from the Master Edition, made a new webpage in the same folder as my original html and inserted the FLV component. The web page successfully played the FLV locally.

Here is the punchline - after this, the original html page which had previously been showing only the video controls played the video correctly. Also, when I copied the new FLVPlayer_progressive.swf into the Dreamweaver install directory under /configuration/templates/video player (replacing the exisiting file) the problem was resolved for new pages also. Clearly dreamweaver only copies the FLVPlayer SWF into the location of the HTML page, and clearly the copy that ships with - my - version of Design Premium is foobar'd.

I guess this explains why the problem is intermittent and appears not to affect every user - maybe the localisation of versions is the issue or somesuch (nasty thought - is everyone experiencing this just with the UK English version of Dreamweaver? Is this just the former colonies forgetting there is a 'rest of the world' yet again? Anyway...) THE SOLUTION is for Adobe to put a link somewhere to a version of FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf they jolly well know works, and then man-up and admit the error of their ways. It's not a big deal, y'can see how it could happen, we're not going to come and take your firstborn in retribution.... Probably....