4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2007 2:21 PM by thespin

Seeking overall advice from web developers using Dreamweaver

christylh8
      I'm a fairly new web designer with skills based mainly in HTML and CSS (externally linked) and style statements only, however I have a big project ahead. My company will be asking me to develop a database-driven, login-only website (we are wholesale only and our customers require a state tax resale ID in order to even be able to purchase from us.)

I wish to continue using Dreamweaver however I do not know if I need to learn PHP, ASP or SQL/MySQL for this scale of project. I fully expect we will be hosted on a Windows server, but we have not chosen an ecommerce software yet so I don't know what I should expect.

I am prepared to learn whatever works best at a cross-platform capacity for our Mac users when we have some custom Flash applets developed to integrate in.

If you were just getting started from ground zero, what would you do? What would you recommend I invest my time learning?
        • 1. Re: Seeking overall advice from web developers using Dreamweaver
          Level 7
          Linux server - php/MySQL
          Windows server - asp or asp.net and SQL

Ecom software - Cartweaver in the scripting language best supported by your
          server.

Best of luck,
          --Nancy O.
          Alt-Web Design & Publishing
          www.alt-web.com

"christylh8" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f9pr8s$dcu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm a fairly new web designer with skills based mainly in HTML and CSS
          > (externally linked) and style statements only, however I have a big
          project
          > ahead. My company will be asking me to develop a database-driven,
          login-only
          > website (we are wholesale only and our customers require a state tax
          resale ID
          > in order to even be able to purchase from us.)
          >
          > I wish to continue using Dreamweaver however I do not know if I need to
          learn
          > PHP, ASP or SQL/MySQL for this scale of project. I fully expect we will
          be
          > hosted on a Windows server, but we have not chosen an ecommerce software
          yet so
          > I don't know what I should expect.
          >
          > I am prepared to learn whatever works best at a cross-platform capacity
          for
          > our Mac users when we have some custom Flash applets developed to
          integrate in.
          >
          > If you were just getting started from ground zero, what would you do?
          What
          > would you recommend I invest my time learning?
          >

• 2. Re: Seeking overall advice from web developers using Dreamweaver
            DaphneStarr
            Hi, are you working on this project alone? It sounds like too big a project for just one person. Designing the layout is simple, but getting it to work will be the hard part. I have a decent understanding of PHP, JavaScript, and MySQL but I wouldn't even consider tackling this project without a seasoned programmer to work with. Fortunately, I have a developer on staff with 20 years of programming experience. But he still has to hold my hand, even though I've been studying programming for 3 months. The best advice I can give you is to pick a language (probably ASP if your going to use a windows server), start studying (eclasses.org has some wonderful classes), hook up with an experienced programmer, and look into software such as Cartweaver (it integrates seemlessly with Dreamweaver to create an ecommerce site). They have versions for PHP, ASP, or ColdFusion (check out Cartweaver.com) - the only thing is I'm not sure if it can handle the level of complexity your site will need, but it's worth checking out.

Good luck,
            Lorinda
            • 3. Re: Seeking overall advice from web developers using Dreamweaver
              Level 7
              I'd really agree with this. As a first foray into server-scripting, it will
              prove completely debilitating, in my opinion.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"LorindaWebDesign" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:f9q1ks$kqb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi, are you working on this project alone? It sounds like too big a
              > project for
              > just one person. Designing the layout is simple, but getting it to work
              > will be
              > the hard part. I have a decent understanding of PHP, JavaScript, and MySQL
              > but
              > I wouldn't even consider tackling this project without a seasoned
              > programmer to
              > work with. Fortunately, I have a developer on staff with 20 years of
              > programming experience. But he still has to hold my hand, even though I've
              > been
              > studying programming for 3 months. The best advice I can give you is to
              > pick a
              > language (probably ASP if your going to use a windows server), start
              > studying
              > (eclasses.org has some wonderful classes), hook up with an experienced
              > programmer, and look into software such as Cartweaver (it integrates
              > seemlessly with Dreamweaver to create an ecommerce site). They have
              > versions
              > for PHP, ASP, or ColdFusion (check out Cartweaver.com) - the only thing is
              > I'm
              > not sure if it can handle the level of complexity your site will need, but
              > it's
              > worth checking out.
              >
              > Good luck,
              > Lorinda
              >

• 4. Seeking overall advice from web developers using Dreamweaver
                thespin
                Why code anything. Ready to go at a great price with almost every feature one can think of: http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com/t-features.aspx
                Will also install on your website for $50 more ...