6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 10:08 AM by JamesAB

Rendering question

JamesAB

Hello,

I have made a slideshow in PSE 7 and have sent it to preremiere elements 7 so that I can insert video clips into it.

I am not too sure about the process of rendering but, on pressing the "Enter" key the program starts to render video preview files. Now, even though in this case the rendering will apparently take some 10 hours, I am happy for it to continue because I believe (rightly or wrongly) that this will shorten the final compilation process. Am I right in this assumption?

In addition, I have had to halt the process (after about four hours) and and shut down my PC. I was dissapointed to find that on restarting the rendering process later it started the rendering process from the begining. I did think that it would restart from the point where it had been halted. Could this be that it was rendering a slide show rather than a collection of clips?

Thank you

Jim

• 1. Re: Rendering question
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Rendering is only for smooth playback and will not have any noticeable effect on Exporting/Sharing. For most SD (DV-AVI) Projects, I never Render, even though the red line will appear, should I add Transitions, Effects, Titles, or such. Playback is smooth enough for me. OTOH, I might well Render a small segment of a Timeline many dozen times, if I am doing a lot of animation, and need to see everything smoothly. I use the WAB (Work Area Bar) to limit the Render to just the area that I need.

As for interrupted Renders, you can limit the Render with the WAB, so that you are basically only Rendering the remainder of the Timeline, saving some time. Just set it past the green line. Now, if one has a long Clip and interrupts the Rendering of it, the "piece" of Rendered material will likely NOT be saved, so that entire Clip will have to be re-Rendered.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Rendering question
            JamesAB Level 1

I am obliged. Thanks very much, Bill.

Regards

Jim

• 3. Re: Rendering question
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You are most welcome and happy editing!

Hunt

• 4. Re: Rendering question
                Adam Adamowicz

If You have pre-rendered for preview and had green line above part of project remember to save before close.

If You don't there will be no information in file which rendered preview files coresponds to the pre-rendered area.

• 5. Re: Rendering question
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good point Adam. Many stop short on doing a Save, and assume that if they did not do any physical editing, they do not need to Save. In cases like this, there will be no link to the Preview Render files, unless they do. Luckily, PrE will ask, "Do you want to Save? Huh, do you, do you???" Well, maybe not quite what the message says, but you get the point.

Thanks for pointing this out,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Rendering question
                    JamesAB Level 1

Thanks again.

Jim