9 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 10:44 AM by the_wine_snob

No audio on Trial version CS5

imalikenhiken

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am having a hard time creating HD videos that I can burn to Blu-Ray. Recently moved over from an Windows XP, to Windows 7 64. Using a EVGA MOBO, X58 SLI, core i7 920 cpu, 6GB DDR3 RAM, 3 HDD's, (7200rpm SATA), NVidia 280 GTX video card, with 1GB of onboard memory, which should be more than up to the task...I had been using the latest iteration from Corel, their Video Studio Pro X3, and had nothing but problems, it would crash, hang, and they seemed unable to find what the problem is...Only way that I had around it, was to cut the project up into smaller pieces, and use another program to put them together,before finally burning a project to Blu-Ray...Frustrating, especially given the hours on tech support. So, I wanted to tryout Premiere Pro CS5 before buying, having learned my lesson from this last fiasco. I'm not new to video editing, have been doing it for over 6 years. The current project that I'm trying to complete, is using AVCHD files saved to an on board HDD. The files were created from a Canon Vixia HFS10, so they are in the .mts file format...I was able to get them into the Premiere Pro workflow, but, get no audio, so again, I've spent hours combing the forums, and their online help, to find...That the trial version will not work with AVCHD files??? What is one supposed to do??? I actually have thought about buying the CS4 version first, and then getting the upgrade later, (it's actually cheaper to do it this way it seems), but now? What to do????

• 1. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The trial version does not do ANYTHING related to MPEG, so if you have MPEG Audio, say AC3, you will not be able to Import that. This is a limitation of the trial version only.

Now, Adobe offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so if you buy CS5, and do not like it, just return it within the 30 days and you get your money back. Nothing in the full-paid version is disabled, like the trial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
            imalikenhiken Level 1

Thank you for the quick reply.  I guess this is the road I will have to travel, to really be able to explore the virtues of Premiere Pro, I was hoping that I would be able to take advantage of the free trial, but as that option is unavailable for what I needed, I will go ahead and try it...At least, if I get stuck, it appears there is a community out there that can help me get through the rough stages!!! Thanks again!

• 3. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In another thread, the poster indicated that Adobe was ready to change the way that the trial is crippled, and that they are thinking of using a watermark, a la PrElements' trial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
                jeremy d. Level 3

I read that in the other thread, too, and this tidbit is likely to morph into "Adobe is fixing the trial behavior in the next release." [emoticon here Jeff]

Everything I know about it is that internally, on the Prem team, we don't like it anymore than you folks do, and probably less. I have not heard anything about a change actually being made. There have been long drawn-out discussions about this on the prerelease forum, but nothing has happened yet.

the_wine_snob wrote:

In another thread, the poster indicated that Adobe was ready to change the way that the trial is crippled, and that they are thinking of using a watermark, a la PrElements' trial.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeremy,

You are correct. What is the parlor game, "telephone," where the first person at a table gets a message to whisper to the next person, who whispers to the next, and so on? By the time this message makes its way around the table, it bears zero resemblance to the original and often in humorous ways.

I can well imagine that things have already morphed into, "Adobe is issuing a new trial version that will be released on June 02, and it will also include CS5.9.0 updates and NOT be crippled, plus Jeremy will come to your office and install it for you!"

That there is the barest hint of a rumor is joyous news to my ears, and I have never done a trial of any Adobe program since I first bought PS 2.5. However, we do see the results of the crippled trial of PrPro here all during the run of any version's trial. At least it gives us the chance to build up those "points," as the answer is so simple. Still, it's a question that I'd rather never see again - points or no points!

Speaking of "points," maybe you can help Harm and me out on that. I maintain that the person with the most "points" on a pre-determined date, will receive an all expenses-paid trip to San Jose to dine at the Official Adobe Cafeteria, and have 5 mins. with the PrPro (or other product) product manager. Harm and I are neck-n-neck on this. For him, it is a bigger deal, than for me, as he's in Holland, and I live next door in AZ. Still, he tells me that this will be on a Friday, which is Maine Lobster Day at the Official Adobe Cafeteria. I offered to bring the wine for the Maine lobster, if he would invite me (at my expense) should he win. My question is - how is the lobster prepared? I need to know if its just boiled and served with drawn butter, or in a sauce, so I can properly choose the best wine. Harm say, "just butter."

Hunt

• 6. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
                    jeremy d. Level 3

You have got to be kidding Bill.

Both

They serve us sweet cream butter, from Bavarian cows raised on Florida lemon grass and milked only in June, drawn and clarified table-side, to order.

My question is - how is the lobster prepared? I need to know if its just boiled and served with drawn butter, or in a sauce, so I can properly choose the best wine. Harm say, "just butter."
                    • 7. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, then I will choose a Meursault, instead of a Puligny-Montrachet, or Corton-Charlamagne. Thank you for the clarification (of both the meal and the butter!). Harm might be disappointed a bit, but I have some fine Meursaults in the cellar, so all will not be lost.

Here's to Lobster Friday!!!!

Of course, I am toasting with a Bdx. blend (with a touch of Zinfandel), but that is beside the point.

Hunt

• 8. Re: No audio on Trial version CS5
                        jeremy d. Level 3

I'm sure we can whip up a reduction with the Meursault.