8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 9:19 AM by David Baggs

Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video

David Baggs

Hello,

I have a good spec. computer with a Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.8Ghz and a NVidia Quadro FX580 graphics card and want to be able to edit video from my Panasonic HDC-HS9 camcorder.

I can play video footage through Windows Media Player just fine, but the video is pixelated and generally not very good when viewed in the preview window in PE8.

I have got Quicktime version 7.6.6 but if I try and play the video through that it states that 'Error 2048: Couldn't open the file 00282.MTS because it is not a file that QuickTime understands'. I read somewhere that you need to have the latest version of QuickTime installed and was wondering if this a symptom of the problem.

I have downloaded GSpot v2.70a and looked at the file I am trying to play and it states that the Container File Type is 'MPEG-2 Transport Stream and Mime Type: video/mp2t.

My Panasonic manual says that I am recording in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec.

It just seems odd that image quality is perfect in WMP and poor in PE8? I have also noticed that when viewing thumbnails in PE8 organiser it does not display an image at all?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

QT is unlikely to be able to play the file. It is, however used by PrE for other playback operations. IIRC, 7.6.6 is the latest version, unless a new one has JUST hit. Now, that said, 7.6.2 & 7.6.3 exhibited problems in other Adobe programs. Many found 7.6.6 to be good, but some others did not, and rolled back to the "last known good" version, 7.5.5 (the one that I use on all computers, until 100% of Adobe users report otherwise).

Now, when you have Imported the AVCHD material into an AVCHD Project Preset, is there a red line above the Clips in the Timeline, just below the Timeline Ruler?

What is the Magnification of your Program Monitor in PrE set to? I use 100% for critical viewing, as Fit is a very poor emulation. Now, I do not believe that PrE 8 has added the Program Monitor Quality settings, like in PrPro, but Rt-click on the Program Monitor and check to see if Quality is in the drop-down menu.

Also, check to see if you have Hardware Acceleration (do not think that Win7 has that any more), and try adjusting that.

Check for the very latest video driver, and if there is any newer one, install that.

Look at GPU Acceleration, and adjust that, then test.

Otherwise, you system seems plenty beefy enough to handle AVCHD footage.

One last question - please tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their size, speed, free space, controller type and how you have them allocated. With other Video formats, that is the most important aspect of a computer, but with AVCHD, the CPU handles most of the work. Still, might be something there.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you have upgraded to PrE 8.0.1 haven't you?

• 2. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
            David Baggs Level 1

Hello Bill Hunt,

Thanks for taking the trouble. My responses are in red.

QT is unlikely to be able to play the file. It is, however used by PrE for other playback operations. IIRC, 7.6.6 is the latest version, unless a new one has JUST hit. Now, that said, 7.6.2 & 7.6.3 exhibited problems in other Adobe programs. Many found 7.6.6 to be good, but some others did not, and rolled back to the "last known good" version, 7.5.5 (the one that I use on all computers, until 100% of Adobe users report otherwise). Thanks for the advice.

Now, when you have Imported the AVCHD material into an AVCHD Project Preset, is there a red line above the Clips in the Timeline, just below the Timeline Ruler? Yes, the red line is present.

What is the Magnification of your Program Monitor in PrE set to?. I use 100% for critical viewing, as Fit is a very poor emulation. By default ‘fit’ was selected – I changed it to 100% (and others) but no effect on image quality Now, I do not believe that PrE 8 has added the Program Monitor Quality settings, like in PrPro, but Rt-click on the Program Monitor and check to see if Quality is in the drop-down menu. You’re right, no quality control setting. There are playback settings but again tried all permutations.

Also, check to see if you have Hardware Acceleration (do not think that Win7 has that any more), and try adjusting that. I have run the DirectX diagnostic tool within Win7 and everything is fine.

Check for the very latest video driver, and if there is any newer one, install that. Got the very latest drivers from NVidia website.

Look at GPU Acceleration, and adjust that, then test. I have enabled the PhysX GPU acceleration within the NVidia control panel.

Otherwise, you system seems plenty beefy enough to handle AVCHD footage.

One last question - please tell us about your I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their size, speed, free space, controller type (Marvell 64xx/63xx SAS Controller that is up to date) and how you have them allocated.

I have two Hitachi 1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm) – no RAID configuration. I had the drives factory partitioned as detailed in the attached screen grab. Win7 64 bit and PrE is on the C drive and the video files in the H drive. If I ever get round to doing some editing I was going to use the D drive as a working space. I’ve seen some forum discussions that advise against partitioning but I thought I was keeping things neat and tidy by doing so?

disk management.png

RAM - 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz

With other Video formats, that is the most important aspect of a computer, but with AVCHD, the

PS - you have upgraded to PrE 8.0.1 haven't you?

I don’t know if I am using the 8.0.1 version [The help about screen shows 8.0] as I am currently using the trial version of the software and do not have the option to check for updates through the help menu. I am very keen to buy the full version as I have used Photoshop Elements for some while and want to remain consistent. I also use Acrobat 9 Pro and there must be advantages in keeping everything with Adobe.

I don’t really understand video codec and don’t know whether it is right to assume that because the file plays fine through Windows Media Player, I can assume it is not a codec issue with PrE. Do WMP and PrE share codecs?

I am not sure I’ve given you anything to work with but again would appreciate any pointers. If nothing else I am learning quite a lot as I go along!

• 3. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, about the only use for partitions today are for a tiny Image partition, that would only be used if one had to Restore the system, and did not have a Restore Disk, or if one has a dual-boot system. They are a holdover from way back, when an OS could not see/use large HDD's. Now, they only slow things down greatly, because the OS sees the single HDD's as multiple and will request read/writes as though they are separate physical HDD's, and can really get hung up, when these do not happen simultaneously, which is impossible, since the heads can ONLY be over one platter at a time, unlike multiple physical HDD's. This bottleneck can cause all sorts of issues, especially with aspects like playback. They can also lead to read/write errors, plus they cause more wear and tear on the HDD.

Now, if you have AVCHD material and are using an AVCHD Project preset, there should not be a red line, until you add Effects, or areas with Transitions or Titles.

As for PrE 8.0.1, the Help>About and the Splash Screen do NOT update to reflect the newer version. Adobe is aware of this omission. The only way to know for sure is to look at the file dates in PrE's folder. I cannot recall the two main ones, off hand, but there are two, that will show 2010 and that is the giveaway that one has 8.0.1. I am certain that others can chime in with the file names to check, and I will search, as there is a fairly recent thread, where Steve Grisetti lists the 2010 files by name.

CODEC's can be used in three ways:

1.) to decode material for playback - will usually work with most players

2.) to encode material - will often work with many editing programs, conversion programs and encoding programs

3.) to be used to edit material - this will depend entirely on the editing program.

This ARTICLE will give you more background on CODEC's.

This ARTICLE might also be useful for getting one's computer ready for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
                David Baggs Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks again. I will check out the articles mentioned. I appreciate that I need to get rid of my partitions but am not sure if you are saying that this is likely to be the solution to my problem?

Also, I am not sure of the implications of the 'red line' issue and what colour should it be if everything is OK?

• 5. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

While partitions can be bottlenecks, I do not know that they are contributing to your issues.

Also, this is a good ARTICLE on HDD setup for Video editing. Harm is the "hardware guru" on the PrPro forum, and his "Harm's Beast" hold the processing record with the PrPro CS4 & CS5 benchmarks. He did slip to 2nd place for a moment, and then climbed under the hood to tweak things a bit, only to regain 1st place, which he's held, since the release of CS5.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
                    David Baggs Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks again for the article about how to set up your PC for video editing. It's full of great advice and I will take it all on board once I have overcome my main issue.

It seems to me that my first hurdle must be to overcome the 'red line' problem. I have looked at other forum questions; it appears to be a common problem and established that the red line means that the video file has not been imported correctly into PrE. I have been through all the available options and not one of them allows me to import a video clip without the resultant red line. I have followed your advice to other users and rendered the footage to enable smooth playback. By hitting the enter key this then goes through the rendering process and the red line turns green - the problem is that a 6 min. video clip contains 9000+ frames and takes over 3 hours to render and this is before you do any editing whatsoever. This is totally impractical. Are you aware of anyone else who can use PrE with the Panasonic HDC-HS9 camcorder as I am beginning to wonder whether AVCHD is a suitable format for video editing?

• 8. Re: Trouble with PE8 and AVCHD video
                      David Baggs Level 1

John,

Thanks for the advice although I did not really want to go down that route. Although the red line is present I was still able to 'share' the project and save it in full AVCHD without to much trouble. A 30 minute clip was saved to my hard drive in about 90 minutes and so I am happy with this. I did not do any editing, simply joining footage together. Presumably if I want to do a proper edit with sound and so on I would need to render first. Is this the case?

I guess my question to you is do you know if it normal for some footage to be put on the timeline and always experience the 'red line'. The preset that I am using is PAL-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 25 5.1 channel and is exactly what my Panasonic HDC-HS9 is recording.

Thanks.