11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2010 8:25 PM by Scott Falkner

Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator

YoIaMoNwater

Whenever I try to open a file whether it is a .Ai file or a image, it appears very small in illustrator.  I honestly don't know how to fix this problem and really need some help because I'm designing a album cover for my friend and it needs to be upload to discmakers.com

Anyway when I open up the template from discmakers.com, it appear quite small.  However, when I try to start a new document by using the same dimensions of the template, the new blank document comes out to be larger. 

Also I have another question:

I have saved my photoshop design to .PDF file and have uploaded onto discmakers.com.  But, when I view the image it appears to be very low quality and horribly compressed yet when I open the file in photoshop the image appears to be fine and high quality.  Is there a method in which I can solve this particular problem?

• 1. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Are you following dismakers specs?

The reason you see the file so large when you open the template is that they saved the file at a 220% magnification.

• 2. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
            YoIaMoNwater Level 1

Of course I did.  I opened the .Ai template when it is convereted in Photoshop and then added the artwork onto it and then saved it as a .PDF file.  These are the specification of the website as well as the proper coversion from the .Ai to photoshop with 300 ppi and in CMYK.

Still, I don't know why it appears to be very low quailty when it is uploaded at discmakers.com

• 3. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
              John Danek Level 4

I wonder if it is your monitor's resolution setting?  The higher the resolution, the smaller items appear on the screen.  A .pdf preview is going to look like, well, crap.  The .pdf itself is high res, but the preview is anyone's guess.  As long as it "proofs" OK, then there's nothing to worry about.  So, get a contract proof from the print vendor before it goes to press.

• 4. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                Scott Falkner Level 5

YoIaMoNwater wrote:

I opened the .Ai template when it is convereted in Photoshop and then…

What do you mean by that? Did you open the template in Illustrator or did you open something in Photoshop first? Why is Photoshop part of opening an Illustrator template?

• 5. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                  YoIaMoNwater Level 1

Because of the whole problem of things appearing much smaller in Illustrator, I had to edit things in Photoshop.

Yes, I opened the .Ai template IN PHOTOSHOP and then saved it in .PDF as directed by the webside discmakers.com

Ok, so everything seems alright if I open the saved .PDF and the saved .PSD files in Photoshop it's just that when I upload it onto discmakers.com the resolution and the quality is crap.  Again, I'm a bit confused on whether it is just the website's display of the poor quality rather than the document itself.  Someone earlier said that as long as the file seems alright when saved, it doesn't matter how it looks when it is uploaded?

Uh... I really need some more clairifcation on this, thanks.

• 6. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I think they clearly state not to convert to pdf and to to use native files.

You seem to be confusing screen display with the actual size or dimensions of the file?

I explained it carefully to you the display you see in ai of the template when opened in AI CS 5 is due to the magnification that was last made by discmakers when saving the ai file and that this was intentional so that you will be able to work on it more easily. If you turn on the ruers or look at the rulers you will see the file and art is the correct dimensions.

AI saves the last view of the art when you do a save or save as.

• 7. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                      YoIaMoNwater Level 1

The problem I'm having now is that when uploaded at the website, its preview option/ONLINE EDIT page display my artwork in very low quality and very pixley.

I want to be sure that the uploaded files will be printed with high quality in which I have provided, not the crappy low resolution preview the website apparently shows.

• 8. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                        Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I read the submission notes for this site and again they clearly state that you should still send them the files on disk.

I would if I were you to put your fears to rest is to send them the disk.

I would also contact them by phone or e-mail preferably by phone and ask them those questions as well.

Find out from them what you are doing wrong.

If anything. Question them about the online preview.

• 9. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                          3dprinting

What you see on the screen does not represent the real size of the label. On the tab of the file you are viewing it will show what percentage of the image you are viewing.  For example, if your file name is discmakers.ai then it will show "discmakers.ai @ 33% (CMYK/Preview).  If that's that case you are only viewing the image at 33%.  Press the Ctrl key and the + key will increase the image size to 66%, 100%, or even up to 200%.

All disc manufacturers should have the same size for the templates. If discmakers' template doesn't work for you, try to "steal" other company's template, for example from New Cyberian.  We have been using their templates and I found they are the simplest without a lot of craps, here is their download link, http://www.newcyberian.com/download.html.

• 10. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                            Toxic Cumquat Level 1

Yes, I agree that the screen size of images on Photoshop set at Actual Pixels is LARGER than Illustrator set to 100% Actual size.

I have the same image open on both applications (fabulous Adobe apps by the way) and I have the Rulers Visible and set to Inches.  The image is clearly measuring the same on both dimensions (11 X 8.5 inches) of BOTH applications!  There is no mistake here.  Why does it show so much smaller on the Ai window?

It is about 1/3 smaller and that is quite annoying.

I don't have an answer but I am seeking it because I switch between apps often.

• 11. Re: Everything Appears Smaller in Illustrator
                              Scott Falkner Level 5

This means nothing without knowing the resolution of the image in ppi (Pixels Per Inch).

When you use Actual Pixels in Photoshop you are telling the program to show the image so that each pixel in the image (regardless of resolution) should take up one pixel on your monitor.

When you view a 100% scaled image at 100% in Illustrator you are telling the program to show you 1 inch of the image (again, regardless of resolution) in 72 pixels on your monitor (regardless of your screen resolution). If your image has a resolution of 72 ppi, then one inch will have 72 pixels of image data in it, ∴ 72 image pixels will display in 72 screen pixels, just like Photoshop’s Actual Pixels.

If your image has a resolution of 300 ppi, then 300 pixels on image data will be compressed into 72 pixels of screen data and appear to be viewed at 24%.

If you switch your measurement unit in Illustrator to Pixels you might expect the programs to behave similarly, but you would be wrong. Illustrator has no "Pixel" measurement, it has Points, which can be selected twice, as either “Points” or “Pixels”.