5 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 8:32 AM by the_wine_snob

No audio on some DVD files

Dramaplaywright

Okay, since my computer doesn't have firewire, I've been forced to import my video files via a DVD that I created on another computer. The trouble is that when I import those files onto Premiere some of the files have audio and some do not. I'm not sure what's happening or why. Can someone please help me figure this out?

• 1. Re: No audio on some DVD files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's most likely related to the audio format used by the other DVD creator. But without knowing which DVD creator software you used or what settings you used on it, it's impossible to say.

There most likely is a better and more efficient way to work with your video. (Creating a DVD and importing that DVD into Premiere Elements is one of the least effective ways to capture your video.) What type of camcorder is your video shot on?

• 2. Re: No audio on some DVD files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, I have a few questions about your DVD's, used as a transfer medium:

1.) Are these DVD-Videos, as one would play on a set-top player, or are they DVD-Data, with just the AV files - there is a big difference?

2.) If DVD-Videos, what program did you use to author (the process of creating DVD-Videos) the DVD-Video?

3.) If DVD-Videos, how did you Import them into PrE?

4.) If DVD-Videos, do they play with Audio in a set-top player, or on the computer with DVD software players, like PowerDVD?

5.) When you did the Capture, what program was used, and what was the file format and CODEC, that it created?

Good luck, and let us know just a bit more about your situation, so we can make informed suggestions as to where the Audio went, and how best to get it back.

Hunt

• 3. Re: No audio on some DVD files
              Dramaplaywright Level 1

The film was shot with a Panasonic DVX camera with a DV tape. Since I couldn't capture the footage directly into my laptop, I captured it to another computer using a program called Power2Go, which captured both the audio and video. I then burnt a copy of this footage onto a Memorex DVD+R and that's what I'm working off of. They are VOB files and yes, they're able to be played on the computer and on a DVD player. Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: No audio on some DVD files
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, from that it sounds like you did author a DVD-Video (the VOB structure is the clue there), and now PrE is not able to extract the Audio from VOB's. I am not familiar with Power2Go, but it might not be creating a 100% DVD-compliant VOB.

In general terms, a VOB is a container, and will contain MPEG-2 muxed files, spanning perhaps multiple VOB's. The first one can also contain other stuff, like Menus and navigation, as well.

What is your Project Preset (chosen when you did New Project)? Did you copy the DVD-Video's material to your HDD, and then Import those VOB's into the Project? [Copying the material on the DVD-Video is important, as one would otherwise always need to have that DVD inserted into the drive, and this would also slow things down greatly.]

For a bit of background on VOB's, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No audio on some DVD files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I found CyberLink's Power2Go. It looks like it can burn all sorts of discs, from DVD-Data to DVD-Video to BD-Data or BD-Video.

CyberLink products normally work very closely with the DVD-specs., so I would be surprised if it did something wrong, but then it is possible that some setting was wrong.

If you did a DVD-Video to the NTSC specs., then you will have muxed PCM/WAV, or DD AC3 in the VOB contained MPEG-2 files. I would anticipate that PrE would be able to work with the Audio in either of those formats. Now, if you are in PAL-land and did a PAL spec. DVD, it is possible that you have either PCM/WAV, AC3, or MPEG Audio. The latter is an optional spec. in PAL-land, is falling rapidly out of favor, and can give PrE fits.

I would get the great, free utility, G-SPOT, and run your VOB's through it, to see what the Audio specs. are. That might give us a clue as to what is wrong, and how best to fix it.

It seems that someone here, Neale maybe, uses CyberLink Power2Go, and is in PAL-land. Maybe that user can comment on the settings, and what works for them.

Good luck,

Hunt