10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 2:53 AM by Angus(silentG)

Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?

scott mackenzie Level 1

HI There

Has anyone bought a new laptop recently that will run CS5 really well straight out of box?

I need to buy a new laptop and would love to be able to work with CS5 on there.

Thanks

scott

• 1. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Scott,

If you get a decent laptop like this:

Sager notebook.jpg

you can edit right out of the box. If you go for any of the well known brand names, like Acer, Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba and the like, it is doubtful and at the least a very serious compromise in performance.

For any editing beyoud simple cuts, those won't cut it. You need a 7200 RPM internal disk, two external eSATA 7200 disks and it you consider AVCHD, at least an i7 CPU. Also take into consideration the minimum resolution of the screen and the meager display dimensions, there must be some SM traits in your character.

• 2. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the nice things about the Sagers is that one does not have to spend weeks disabling all the bloatware. They come (or at least did) very clean, with ONLY the chosen software/OS. You will want to tweak the OS for more performance with video-editing (it'll be pretty good, as they build for extreme gaming, but there can be some adjustment needed), and also maybe the video driver's settings. All I had to do was change my default Page File management, size and location.

Do NOT go for the dual-video cards. SLI/Crossifre will be of no use to you in PrPro and will likely mess things up. Spend that $ on max HDD's, RAM and useful things.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
              Eric Addison User Group Manager

I've got a an HP dv8t with these specs:

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
              • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
              • 1TB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (500GB x 2) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
              • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
              • 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
              • Blu-Ray +/-R/RW with SuperMulti

It's running Win 7 64, and I'm able to cut XDCAM EX, P2, and AVCHD footage on it no problem. I did, as Bill mentioned, have to remove a bunch of pre-installed stuff on there when I first got it, but it didn't take that long to do.

It's been a great laptop, and I've cut a lot of projects on it.

• 4. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                lchapman66 Level 1

I also have CS4 & CS5 installed on my HP DV8T.   Runs like a champ.

• 5. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                  Cine Real Level 1

The Sager system sounds Pricey!

Your suggested system includes a GeForce GTX 285M. I know that the GTX 285, in a desktop, works with the Mercury Playback Engine because Adobe certified it. But the GTX 285M? Does that really work?

The reason that I ask is that I contacted NVidia and Adobe on a (3-way) conference call about this card and was told categorically that although it was a great card, it would NOT accelerate the Mercury Playback Engine which is the heart of the CS5 Premiere Pro package. This engine was the reason that I upgraded to CS5 Production Premium. I know that this system is powerful and fast, but are you certain that it will accelerate the Mercury Playback Engine? Was the Adobe tech team wrong?

I wish the Adobe Technical group would actually certify Laptop configurations. After three months researching and phoning to get this information, it has become exceedingly exasperating.

The reason that I need such a system is that I sometimes do extended travel and need a portable system while I am out of the studio. Could the Adobe technical team please qualify a system that will actually work for those in the same position as those who are in this thread? Please!

• 6. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                    Cine Real Level 1

Regarding the HP dv8t, I love the 18.4" (1920x1080p) and the TB. It would be nice if it had USB3.

I have two questions:

1. Are you certain that it will accelerate the Mercury Playback Engine? The Nvidia GeForce GT 230M is not on the adobe certified list.
                    2. I understand that this laptop gets quite hot, even with a cooler. This might shorten the lifespan of the laptop considerably.

I think that it is time for Adobe to qualify some laptop systems to work with CS5. It might even improve sales.

• 7. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                      lchapman66 Level 1

I didn't actually enable MPE on the DV8T until a

couple weeks ago.   The hack worked and Premiere allowed

projects to use h/w MPE.   I have not done any benchmarks.

Yes, the DV8T does get hot.  Hot enough to have the CPU cut

it's speed.  In reality, I would *not* recommend the DV8T.  There

are several really annoying h/w issues that are systemic.  Google it.

• 8. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                        Eric Addison User Group Manager
                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Cine Real wrote:

1. Are you certain that it will accelerate the Mercury Playback Engine? The Nvidia GeForce GT 230M is not on the adobe certified list.
                        2. I understand that this laptop gets quite hot, even with a cooler. This might shorten the lifespan of the laptop considerably.

I think that it is time for Adobe to qualify some laptop systems to work with CS5. It might even improve sales.

You can use the hack and turn on the 230M to take advantage of the MPE. I've turned it on in the past, and I haven't seen anything strange while editing...but I haven't put it through any real testing. One big problem for me with that card is Magic Bullet Looks - can't get it to work right with that card.

As for the heat - I've noticed to that the laptop does seem to heat up when working on some larger projects, but it's never let me down.

One thing that does bother me about the dv8 is the tone control problem...I'll be working away and all of a sudden the Bass/Treble control starts flashing on screen and I have to close the tone control program in the Task Manager. After that - I'm good.

• 9. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                          TonyVisionTeleVision Level 1

I bought the CS5 bundle with Alienware M17x... no problems other than learning all the programs, shortcuts, ins and outs. I am by no means tech savy or a Premiere "Pro" user, but I catch on quickly. Anyone who can point me in the right direction as to why I cannot export a project shot in 1080p 24p to a .mov file in the same 1080/24p...?

• 10. Re: Has anyone used PrPro CS5 with Laptop sraight out of box?
                            Angus(silentG) Level 1

No problems on a MBP i5 with one HDD. Imagine that Harm.

Angus