6 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 3:31 PM by Yammer

DNG Question

Curt Y Level 6

I attempt to answer questions on the Bridge Forum.  Several users are now asking about getting the latest DNG so they can use on their new cameras.  If you have CS3 or even 4 and want the latest how do you do that?  I have never done this but the web search referers to ACR and DNG converter.  As if thery are in the same package.

Since ACR 6.x only works on CS5 if you download it will it not put it in the usual ACR plug in spot, rendering camera raw uselesss?

How do you just download and use the latest DNG converter on older versions of PS?

A web search did not provide any quick answers, or sorry if this is a rudundant question.

• 1. Re: DNG Question
          b_gossweiler Level 5

Curt,

CameraRaw and DNG Converter are two separate downloads. Check this section of the ACR 6.1 page on AdobeLabs for the download link.

The way to use older versions of PS with new camera models is the following:

• Convert the RAW file to DNG by use of the DNG Converter
          • Open the DNG file in PS/PSE (or older LR versions)

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Edit:

Other, non RC versions of ACR and DNG Converter can be found here:

Windows

Mac

Message was edited by: b_gossweiler

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DNG Question
            Curt Y Level 6

Thanks.  When one downloads the DNG converter what folder is it written to?  I assume it is not to the ACR plug in folder.

• 3. Re: DNG Question
              b_gossweiler Level 5

Curt,

Curt Y wrote:

Thanks.  When one downloads the DNG converter what folder is it written to?  I assume it is not to the ACR plug in folder.

No, it's not. The program is written into C:\Program Files on WinXP and a shortcut is created in the start menu. I wouldn't know the location on Mac.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

• 4. Re: DNG Question
                Level 4

b_gossweiler wrote:

The program is written into C:\Program Files on WinXP and a shortcut is created in the start menu. I wouldn't know the location on Mac.

Because the Adobe DNG Converter is a stand-alone application that needs no version of Photoshop at all to work, on the Mac you can put it anywhere you desire or feel like.  It simply converts your raw files into raw DNGs.

Common sense tells us to put it in the root Applications folder, where we can easily find it among all other applications that we have installed on our machine.  One can always put an alias in the Dock.

On the Mac, if you launch the Adobe DNG Converter you have to point it to a folder, not individual files, as individual files will be grayed out in the open dialog box.  But you can open (convert) individual files by dropping their icons onto the DNG Converter's icon in the Finder.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DNG Question
                  Curt Y Level 6

OK, thanks.  I work in the Windows environment, but assume all the same principles apply.

• 6. Re: DNG Question
                    Yammer Level 4

Hi Curt.

Yes, it's a stand-alone program, with no dependence on any other software. Always download the latest version. There is a setting which sets compatibility with older versions of Camera Raw, so be careful.

In the past, it has been included with Camera Raw too, but you can usually download it on its own, if you can find it on the website.