4 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2010 2:21 AM by Jacob Bugge

How do I get 2 points to line up exactly? CS4

problogger

Screenshot below. I have to shapes and I want the points to line up perfectly, but I dont want to mess up the angles on my shapes, so I need to position the violet outlined triangle somehow where the top point lines up with the top point of the pink-outlined rectangle

2010-05-30_114139.png

• 1. Re: How do I get 2 points to line up exactly? CS4
          shunithD Level 3

I'm assuming that both the shapes are separate objects... if

so, just select them both and use theWindows -> Align -> align top command... the align top is the graphics in the Align panel that has two objects with a line on top.

To align one object to the other, select both... now, without holding down the Shift key, click on the object that you want the other to align to... then click the appropriate align graphic... A little fooling around, and you'll get the hang of it...

• 2. Re: How do I get 2 points to line up exactly? CS4
            problogger Level 1

I can get them to align to the top properly, but getting the 2 points to align horizontally (left/right) is not as easy because the lengths are not the same and they wont center align.

• 3. Re: How do I get 2 points to line up exactly? CS4
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Snap to point might work but you point out a short coming of AI align feature. I think it should .be upgraded again thi can be a time saver.

• 4. Re: How do I get 2 points to line up exactly? CS4
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

problogger,

I can get them to align to the top properly, but getting the 2 points to align horizontally (left/right) is not as easy because the lengths are not the same and they wont center align.

When they are aligned to the top, I presume the bluish top should end up at a certain desired distance to the right of the reddish one. If so, you may use the Direct Selection Tool to determine their present distance (which you may write down), switch to the Selection Tool and then move the entire shape with the bluish top (Object>Transform>Move horizontally by the difference (desired distance - present distance) letting Illy do the actual calculation.