15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2010 4:05 AM by goldfingeratb

Hooking Problems

goldfingeratb

Hi there,

I’ve read a couple of old topics about what’s happening to me, but basically I’ve got a project full of AVI files that I’m exporting using MPEG2 encoder, but when the export has completed, a lot of the clips say they’re offline which is silly. I’ve heard it’s something to do with ‘hooking’ but I don’t actually know what the solution for this is. I’m running Windows 7, in case that helps. I’ve saved the project as another name and re-opened it and all the clips still say they are fine. So unless it’s something to do with the encoding, I’ve kind of reached a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

• 1. Re: Hooking Problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Adam,

Do you have the Assets, or perhaps the Project files on an external, or networked HDD?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Hooking Problems
            goldfingeratb Level 1

No, everything's local and on my Desktop. Originally the files were AVCHD but I converted them to AVI because I no longer had the file structure of the card I got the AVCHD files from unfortunately. Would deleting all the files and making Prem ask me for them again help? Getting a bit sick and tired of these problems with Adobe. Makes me realise why I use Avid most of the time.

• 3. Re: Hooking Problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, rules out the external and network issues. You might try "hiding" the files (just Move the folder(s) from PrPro) and force it to ask for the location.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Hooking Problems
                goldfingeratb Level 1

Ok I'll give that a go. Would you recommend encoding into MPEG-2 out of Prem or waiting and letting the authoring software do it, because the Adobe Encoder has failed a couple of times now.

• 5. Re: Hooking Problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as the Transcoding is concerned, it's a "six of one... " situation. Encore will do a very good job on the Automatic setting, but many feel that they can control the Transcoding better from the NLE. In this case, one would want to look closely at "bit budgeting," if the Duration of the material is very long, or the Transcode might compression might not be enough to fit the material onto the disc. I use Encore on Automatic for most of my material, and have been pleased. Also, within Encore, one can also apply manual Transcode settings per Asset. Exactly where it is done is a personal choice.

Also, some users feel that there are better encoding engines available, than those in either Encore, or PrPro. One that gets touted quite a bit is MainConcept's ProCoder, which is a stand-alone encoder.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Hooking Problems
                    goldfingeratb Level 1

Thanks for that! I'm still having problems with the 'media offline' image and now the video that is there seems to be freezeframing and stuttering. The transitions work fine but the actual video is just weird, I've never seen anything like it. I really don't know what's happened as it was fine before. Is there anyway of exporting the timecode and file links into a data file that adobe can read to compile a sequence? I would like to start over with re-encoded files, but really don't want to have to edit again. I think i'm going to make the files SD instead of HD. The names will be the same, just the HD/SD difference.  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Hooking Problems
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Slight correction Bill, before you get nailed by Grass Valley.

It is Canopus/GV Procoder.

• 8. Re: Hooking Problems
                        goldfingeratb Level 1

Update: What it seems to be doing from looking at the source monitor is taking one clip, and say I've cut that clip into bits and edited together, it takes the first clip and plays it extremely slowly, so that even though I've taken clips from a long bit of footage, it looks like the entire piece I've cut together out of different bits, is all from the start of the footage. I hope that makes sense. Basically it plays about 15secs worth of the start over a time of about 10 mins. It's only noticeable on one particular clip because it's so long, the rest it justs looks like a few frames, which makes sense because it has all seemed to have been slowed down. I've checked the speed/duration but everything is at 100%. It's very strange indeed.

• 9. Re: Hooking Problems
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thank you. I knew that it did not look correct, but I was too lazy to check. I should have known that, as Ampex was once a big client of mine (still work), and then Grass Valley bought them out. I knew better, and thank you for the correction.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Hooking Problems
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have only observed similar slowdowns with true Sub-Clips, back in PrPro 2.0. Even those were improved in later versions.

I am at a loss here. I often have 1 - 2 hour Clips, from which I might have extracted a dozen instances with different In & Out Points, and have not observed similar.

Maybe some other user can comment in a more helpful manner.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Hooking Problems
                              tclark513 Level 3

Last time I have heard something like this it was the audio giving the problems.  Try unlinking the video and audio and then deleting the audio for a test and see if that makes a difference.

• 12. Re: Hooking Problems
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting observation. I'll be interested in reading the results of the test.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Hooking Problems
                                  goldfingeratb Level 1

Thanks for the extra suggestions. Unfortunately, the audio test didn't seem to make any difference. The project has been moved around quite a lot, for instance half of it was done in 2.0, but then I had to upgrade to CS4, then it had to convert the project slightly to make it readable. Even so, when I first opened the project in CS4 it was fine. Is there any way of saving a 'template' of the files and timecodes so I can start again without starting again? Sounds like wishful thinking, but it's a lot of cutting together otherwise. Thanks!

• 14. Re: Hooking Problems
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Two things that come to mind would be an EDL (Edit Decision List) and also a Batch Capture Log, but I'm not sure how well either/each would work for what you need. Hope that others can chime in and tell you if either will work for you and your purposes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Hooking Problems
                                      goldfingeratb Level 1

Sorry for the slow reply! The EDL worked a treat as all I needed to do was change my project settings and use the original HD format it was in instead of converting them to AVIs in the first place. Serves me right for trying to edit HD in 2.0 or CS3 really! Thanks for all your help.