7 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 4:44 PM by jeremy d.

Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading

Royhessey Level 1

I cannot find the answer to my question on the Adobe Web site.

Here is the question :

Can I run Premier Ver 6 on my PC even though I have purchased upgrades in the last few years.

e.g. May want to do simple editing on a Laptop using Ver 6.

Can I run CS3 on a PC and CS 4 on another?

I have upgraded over the years.

Interesting!

• 2. Re: Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading
          jeremy d. Level 3

Do you really want to use a 10-year-old version of Premiere when you already have CS3 and CS4?

CS3 is sure to run on your laptop, but I can't vouch for Prem6 running on a new OS.

Give it a shot, if you must, but you can do simple editing on any of these -- it's not the tool, it's the user. Lame analogy: you can play chopstix on a Steinway as well as on a piano from Sears.

• 3. Re: Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading
            Royhessey Level 1

I am pondering about having two

Activations running at the same time.

Who may I ask is "Sears" I get it everyone outside the US should know that?

• 4. Re: Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading
              jeremy d. Level 3

What? The entire world is not U.S.-centric?

Sears is a department store which is pretty much the opposite of, say, a Herrod's. You can get some name-brand merchandise there, but also some cheaper, Sears-branded items. The implication here is that your editing is about you, not the tool.

Who may I ask is "Sears" I get it everyone outside the US should know that?

You should be able to have 2 activations running simultaneously.

• 5. Re: Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say, "having two Activations running at the same time," I am not quite sure what you are referring to.

If you have say, Pr 6.0, PrPro CS3 and CS4, you can have two installations of each. In an example, you could have all three on your desktop and on your laptop. The only issue would be if you wished to be running PrPro CS4 running at the same time on BOTH the desktop and the laptop. That would violate the EULA. However, you can have Pr 6.0 running at the same time that you have PrPro CS3 running on that machine.

Hope that covers the possibilities that you are contemplating.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeremy,

You should be able to have 2 activations running simultaneously.

Unless it has changed, the EULA would prohibit having the two installed versions of say, PrPro CS4 running at the same time, on the two machines.

Now, I have accidentally left PS open on one machine and fired it up on another (same version with one license, but two installations - workstation and laptop). When this has happened, I am obviously only working on one at a time, but both have been opened. When I have realized my mistake, I just shut one down. So far, no pop-ups, no nasty-grams from Adobe and no late-night knocks on the door. I'd guess that this has happened maybe 3x over the last decade, but it has happened. [Please do not tell your employer, as it was a mistake - I swear!]

Now, I have two installations of PrPro (laptop and workstation) and it is my understanding of the EULA, that I cannot be doing say, an Export on one installation, while I merrily edit away on the other. That is when I jump on the forum - when I've got one of my copies doing the Export, and cannot legally use the other.

Please correct me, if things have changed, or I have read incorrectly, as I can certainly do the Export + editing on other installation, and will just spend less time aggravating people here...

Hunt

• 7. Re: Running earlier Versions of Premier after Upgrading
                    jeremy d. Level 3

I think I was just too vague.

Sure, you can have it activated on 2 machines, but you're probably right, actually using them at the same time is likely bad.