2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 5:26 PM by the_wine_snob

DVD/Blu-Ray Burning - General Question

fishmor Level 1

Just curious - when I burn a dvd or blu-ray, can I make it so that the DVD itself cannot be copied?  Eric

• 1. Re: DVD/Blu-Ray Burning - General Question
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No

You would need to write your project to DLT (tape) and take that tape to a Replication service... that service then adds the (expensive and pretty much useless) copy protection routine during the process of creating a "glass master" and your final output is then PRESSED (not burned as happens in a DVD or BluRay writer attached to a computer)

This is what a real movie studio does... but, anyone who really wants to copy your product can, with a few minutes searching with Google, find a way to do so

• 2. Re: DVD/Blu-Ray Burning - General Question
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with John T., in that Copy Protection is pretty much useless, and it cannot be applied to any burned DVD, or BD. The Copy Protection on replicated BD's is much more robust, but is also much, much more expensive to implement. The licensing fee starts at about US$ 5K/per title, and then there is the cost of implementation. It is the same with limiting the Regions, that a DVD/BD can be played it - only good for replication, and NOT for burning.

The best that one can do is do a Play First (not allowed in PrE, but in many authoring programs) with a © notice. Then, one just trusts their recipients/clients, and they hope for the best.

Over the decades, some Copy Protection schemes have been touted for burned DVD's, but I doubt that any exist now. Most relied on altering the byte-order on the disc, but all that I ever saw tested resulted in DVD's that would not play anywhere. Cool, but not really good, when one is delivering a disc, that should be playable. Have not seen any new versions of any of these for about 5 years, so I guess that these folk gave up, as burning a bunch of non-playable discs is not a good thing.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful