7 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2010 8:43 PM by Powered by Design

Editing data on a mini DVD-R

mixermick Level 1

I was just given a mini DVD-R and asked to edit the content. AP Pro CS4 doesn't recognize the file format. Is there any way to convert these files to something that AP Pro can manipulate?

The files are;

DVDCAM.IFO

Video_TS.BUP

Video_TS.IFO

Video_TS.VOB

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_1.VOB

They are all on a mini double sided DVD-R.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions

Mick

• 1. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mick,

If you have CS4.2 and the DVD is 100% DVD-compliant, then you can Import the VOB's into PrPro. You will have already lost quality, due to the compression to MPEG-2, but that is life.

This ARTICLE will give you some background.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R
            mixermick Level 1

Thanks Bill, but I could only import a partial file. the rest was designated as either unsup

ported or damaged, which I don't think it is. Is there a recommended program that would convert it

all to .avi?

• 3. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There are links in the article for programs to rip the DVD content. It is very likely that your VOB's are not 100% DVD-compliant, and though they span the various VOB's on the disc, are not being concentrated properly. A VOB can only be ~ 1GB in size. If the Menus, navigation, etc, occupies most of VOB 1, then the MPEG-2 will span more than one, and possibly many more, based on Duration.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know DVDCAM camera technologies, but the presence of the DVDCAM.ifo file suggests to me that a) this is not a regular DVD, compliant or not, and b) if you cannot import a VOB, I wonder if the disk was not finalized in the recording device.

I would find out what camera (and if possible determine if it was finalized/insert it in the camera and try to finalize).

I may have missed it: does the disk play okay in a DVD player?  In your computer?

I would also try copying the file to harddrive, change the extension to .mpg, and see if Premiere can open that.

• 5. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I would also try copying the file to harddrive, change the extension to .mpg, and see if Premiere can open that.

Doing the Copy to the HDD is important in several ways. The "trick" of changing the VOB to MPEG is mentioned in the article, as a possibility, along with software (and hardware) ripping of the material. There are several other possible workflows, but at the base-level, NOT working directly from the DVD is the first step to all of them.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R
                    mixermick Level 1

When  you say change the extension to .mpg, do I just type it in or is there a procedure to follow.

Sorry to be so fundamental.

by the way it does play fine in the dvd player

• 7. Re: Editing data on a mini DVD-R