3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 12:10 AM by Flutable

How do I update/edit/change an image map in Fireworks CS4 or CS5?

Flutable

Hi,

I've created an imagemap in Fw CS4, exported the image + html file, and it works ok.

1. I closed Fireworks, then ran it again and re-opened the exported PNG, and could see the hotspots, and could edit/update/add/remove them.

2. I closed Firewoks again, then moved the exported .png image (the original was a PNG as well) and html file to a different folder.

Problem: When I open the (exported) image, I can no longer edit the hotspots. The image map still works (in a browser), however.

Doesn't the HTML file define the hotspots?  How do I update or edit an image map in Fireworks? Do I need to re-import the HTML file somehow? Fw help isn't very helpful on this topic.

I've also found that Fw seems to change the PNG when exporting it. Is it adding some kind of metadata to the exported PNG?

I've made sure the "Show slices and hotspots"  button is on. This is really puzzling!

Environment: Windows XP SP3, Fireworks 10.03.011

• 1. Re: How do I update/edit/change an image map in Fireworks CS4 or CS5?
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

Exporting an image map flattens the images in the file so they are no longer editable. If you didn't save a copy of your original file as an editable Fireworks PNG, you are out of luck and will need to recreate it. :-(  You need to do your updating in the orignal, editable PNG file, and then re-export it to your Dreamweaver site.

• 2. Re: How do I update/edit/change an image map in Fireworks CS4 or CS5?
            pixlor Level 4

It's somewhat confusing, but a Fireworks .png has extended information in the file that a regular .png file does not. When you save a .png file, you get a Fireworks document. When you export (from File>Export or File>Image Preview), you get a flattened .png bitmap file that does not contain all the wonderful extra information that makes a Fireworks document so special.

Because the extensions are identical, it can be easy to overwrite your Fireworks document with a flattened bitmap if you accidentally export to a file of the same name. I read a tip on this forum once: someone suggested naming Fireworks documents with a pseudo-extension .fw.png (really, the .fw is part of the name). It won't prevent accidents, but it will help to remind you of which files are which.

Remember: save your working documents, export flattened output for the Web. I'm sorry if you've lost your work, though.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How do I update/edit/change an image map in Fireworks CS4 or CS5?
              Flutable Level 1

Thanks to you both.

I think I understand what's happened, and yes, I've overwritten my original PNG

sigh. Fireworks doesn't really make this obvious!

That renaming tip is great! We already have a process for making PNGs of marked-up PDFs (so the extension is .pdf.png), so this will fit in just nicely!

You both ROCK!