4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 1:49 AM by Peter Flynn (Adobe)

going in and out to a precise location.

alvanh

Hello

sometimes I have to link outside my flash catalyst site to a HTML place. Is it possible to comeback to a desire page instead of going back to the first one?

thank you

• 1. Re: going in and out to a precise location.
          Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Alex,

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly... is this what you'd like to do?

• When a user first visits your Catalyst site/app, they start in state A
          • At some point, they click a link that takes them to some other URL
          • If they use the browser's Back button to return to your Catalyst site, they always go to state B

- Peter

• 2. Re: going in and out to a precise location.
            dfsafdf434

I do believe that is what he is asking. I also have some interest in how to do this.

• 3. Re: going in and out to a precise location.
              alvanh Level 1

I want to mix a site with

html and flash. From a flash menu I can go to a html page.

and I would like to have the possibility from my Html page menu to go to a specific page in my flash swf.

If I have to get back to the Page 1 it is non possible.

Could I?

thanks

• 4. Re: going in and out to a precise location.
                Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Alex,

To link to a specific state or your Catalyst application, you will need a way to encode the state of the application within the link's URL.  The Flex "Deep Linking" feature is just the ticket -- though you will have to bring your project into Flash Builder and write a little code to make use of it.  here are some resources to help:

dfsafdf434, what you're looking for is a little more complicated.  Browsers don't really provide enough information to guarantee you'll know whether someone arrived at your page via the Back button specifically -- but there are a few hacks that should get it right most of the time.  Here's one of them...  Browsers often remember the values in form fields as the user navigates forward/backward.  So, you could place a hidden input field in the HTML content of your page.  Use JavaScript to set this field to a specific value when the page is done loading.  But first, have your code read the field: if your value is already in the field, then the person most likely got there via Back/Forward (or by just hitting F5... which is the one 'false positive' I'm aware of with this approach).

Hope that helps you both!

- Peter