6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 1:52 AM by Jacob Bugge

CS5 Move dialog box angles

roryross Level 1

I've been using ai for many years. As far back as I can remember if you select an item and have either of the arrow tools as your current tool, hit the return key or double click either arrow tool you get the move dialog box. Everything in CS5 seems to be working the same until I try to move something up or down. I've always used positive numbers to move up and negative to move down. Now it's the opposite in CS5 (I don't know about CS4 since I've never purchased that upgrade). If I change the angle at the bottom of the box from 90° to -90° it works the way I'm used to, but the angle doesn't stick. Does/has anyone run into this and found out why or how to fix it? It doesn't seem to matter where I put the ruler zero at.

Adobe Illustrator CS5

Mac OSX 10.6.3

• 1. Re: CS5 Move dialog box angles
          Jean-Claude Tremblay User Group Manager

Their is no way to fix that since it’s not broken. In CS5, they have change the way object position are calculated. In fact, they have just place the default x, y coordinate at the top/left instead of the usual bottom left we have in CS4 and before. To read more about that change and what it is affecting you can read that blog post by the AI team:

http://blogs.adobe.com/infiniteresolution/2010/05/ruler_updates_in_illustrator_c.html

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 Move dialog box angles
            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Rory,

There have been a few threads about this. The latest one is here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2807180

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS5 Move dialog box angles
              roryross Level 1

I guess that means there is no solution, just get used to the new way...

• 4. Re: CS5 Move dialog box angles

Rory,

I guess that means there is no solution, just get used to the new way...

The good news is: there is:

To change the ruler origin in CS5 to be the same as in CS4 and earlier, you may:

1) Find and open the AIPrefs (Win speak) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs (Mac speak) file; it is a hidden file in the hidden folder Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings

2): Find and change the following two bits of code:

/isRulerOriginTopLeft 1 >>> /isRulerOriginTopLeft 0 (change 1 to 0)

/isRulerIn4thQuad 1 >>> /isRulerIn4thQuad 0 (change 1 to 0)

And the good news is: you will only have to do it once because it is in the preferences (until they get corrupted, so you will have to repeat it if you have to reset them).

• 5. Re: CS5 Move dialog box angles
                  CupertinoFruit Level 3

I think the Illustrator team was really listening to its users, who for  many many years have been shouting from the rooftops to change the Ruler  origin (0,0) to Top Left of the artboard. Illustrator had been the  exception to this rule (with its ruler origin at bottom left) when  compared to other Adobe products like Photoshop & InDesign which had  their ruler origin at the top left. Agreed that some users will find the change not to their liking but that is how it works - no company can satisfy all its users all the time.

• 6. Re: CS5 Move dialog box angles

Fruit,

I think the Illustrator team was really listening to its users, who for  many many years have been shouting from the rooftops to change the Ruler  origin (0,0) to Top Left of the artboard.

I am not sure about the rooftops; maybe we shall see answers tt that here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2857555#2857555

Illustrator had been the  exception to this rule (with its ruler origin at bottom left) when  compared to other Adobe products like Photoshop & InDesign which had  their ruler origin at the top left.

... and are all inherently (apart from PS) based on the conventions of Western writing:

and Illy was not but is now an exception when compared with corresponding applications such as FH, Draw, Canvas, Xtreme.

Agreed that some users will find the change not to their liking but that is how it works - no company can satisfy all its users all the time.

They, could by making it optional. Still, as shown in post #4, it is doable.