14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 12:06 AM by Yammer

NEF files contain XMP data

Yammer Level 4

I've just found a load of old NEF files with embedded XMP data, which seem to have been updated in July 2008. Many of them have Camera Raw settings in them too.

The files contain the string <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 4.1-c037 46.282696, Mon Apr 02 2007 18:36:42        ">

Any idea how they could have got there? I thought the only software which would write to NEFs was made by Nikon.

• 1. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

I think ExifTool can do it too.

Haven't you used ExifTool or some GUI front-end like ExifToolGUI or GeoSetter?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
            Yammer Level 4

I don't think so.

I did try out a few converters (including DxO and Capture One) a long time ago, after reading a comparitive review in a magazine. And I vaguely remember trying out something from Microsoft's Pro Photo website too. Too many brain cells under the bridge.

I'm not sure why third party software would want to embed an XMP file (and keyword data) into a NEF file.

• 3. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
              dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Did you work on the NEF files in Nikon's ViewNX or CaptureNX?

-David

• 4. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                Yammer Level 4

dfranzen_adobe wrote:

Did you work on the NEF files in Nikon's ViewNX or CaptureNX?

I may have done, I do own both, but it's too long ago to remember. I think I would have resisted the urge to save any work on an original raw file.

Why? Do you know if NX writes Adobe XMP data to NEF files?

• 5. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                  wurre Level 1

Photoshop writes to all opened files, not just NEF.

It´s a clever scheme to make your files the property of Adobe 

• 6. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                    dorin_nicolaescu Level 5
                    Photoshop writes to all opened files, not just NEF.

Photoshop doesn't write to NEFs. But can save a NEF as TIFF, for example.

• 7. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                      wurre Level 1

There is a smiley

• 8. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                        MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

I think smileys don't show up in the email digests!

Eric

• 9. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                          Level 4

MadManChan2000 wrote:

I think smileys don't show up in the email digests!

Folks accessing the forums through email might want to keep in mind that edits made to a post are not seen by email users—ever.

• 10. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                            dfranzen_adobe Level 3

Yammer P,

As far as I know Nikon's desktop software will add XMP to NEF files to store IPTC metadata. I would not expect that XMP to include the Camera Raw settings.

If Adobe software injected XMP into a NEF, I would consider that a bug--but I don't believe it's possible. I suspect some other third party software or tool you may have used did this.

-David

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                              Yammer Level 4

dfranzen_adobe wrote:

As far as I know Nikon's desktop software will add XMP to NEF files to store IPTC metadata. I would not expect that XMP to include the Camera Raw settings.

If Adobe software injected XMP into a NEF, I would consider that a bug--but I don't believe it's possible. I suspect some other third party software or tool you may have used did this.

I suspect you're right. Unfortunately, it was a long time ago, and I can't remember which program I may have tried, so I'm not sure how I can strip the XMP data. At least the XMP file seems to override the embedded data, even a blank one.

• 12. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                                Yammer Level 4

Time to resurrect a three year old thread of mine.

I still have about 500 Nikon raw files "infected" with Adobe XMP data, and this might be causing indexing problems with Camera Raw and Bridge. So I'd like to cure the infection. Problem is, I'm not aware of any editors which will fully understand and write sensibly to NEF files. I just tried EXIFtool and it doesn't identify the dodgy data at all.

I tried a workaround a couple of years ago, which was laborious but seemed to help: I loaded each file into a binary file editor and changed the word "Lightroom" into "bightroom" and the word "Camera" into "bamera". Don't laugh, it was the quickest and easiest workaround I could come up with. The upshot was that each Adobe XMP "container" was then effectively hidden from Adobe software.

Now, it turns out, Camera Raw is still copying the "bogus" XMP data to the XMP sidecar, sensible or not. I guess it's being ignored, but I'm not so sure Bridge is so immune.

I think I've worked out that the infection was caused by Microsoft Pro Photo Tools (nice one, Microsoft), as the infected files also have a tag MicrosoftPhoto:Rating. I'm reluctant to download it again, in case it cocks up more photos, and my Windows installation too. Indded, it may not be able to reverse the action anyway.

I tried converting a file to DNG, but clearing metadata doesn't seem to touch the stuff originally embedded in NEF.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might reverse-engineer a few NEF files, and chop out bogus XMP data?

• 13. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                                  areohbee Level 6

Resaving in NX2 doesn't shed the bogus info?

• 14. Re: NEF files contain XMP data
                                    Yammer Level 4

Rob Cole wrote:

Resaving in NX2 doesn't shed the bogus info?

Unfortunately not. I just tried the latest NX2, and saving as another file makes no difference. Even updating the metadata panel doesn't trigger a rewrite.