6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 3:03 PM by A.T. Romano

HD Export Settings

Lingonberry99

I want to put up a three minute video on youtube that I made with my Canon Powershot 1ISX (1080p HD). I've been at it for about 12 hours and I think I've tried everything and gotten every error message.

Unknown Error, A Frame Was Skipped, Memory Not Available, No Output Generated...

I have a brand-new dual core 4GB computer, and this is the second video I've put on Adobe Premiere Elements 7. The problems started when I first got the message "Adobe is running low on system memory".

Anyone have suggestions? Any advice would be greatly helpful. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: HD Export Settings
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help
          A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

• 2. Re: HD Export Settings
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Per the FAQs to the right of this forum, I would also recommend that you convert the video to DV-AVIs before you bring it into Premiere Elements. Video from still cameras rarely works in its native form in this program.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Quicktime Pro or Super should do the conversion with that video format.

• 3. Re: HD Export Settings
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For some background on Resources/Memory, please see this ARTICLE.

For tips on setting up your computer for video editing, please see this ARTICLE.

If you are still getting program/OS crashes and hangs, this ARTICLE might be useful at finding clues as to what is happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: HD Export Settings
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lingonberry99

I believe that you are recording video with H.264 compression (1080p30/1920 x 1080 at 30 progressive frames per second) from your Canon Powershot SX1 IS. Further the video has a .mov file extension. Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 7.0?

1. It is not clear if you are having your problems importing the video or just trying to upload it to YouTube directly from Premiere Elements 7.0. So, we need to clear that up at the onset. I have found that there is no problem importing your "1080p HD" into Premiere Elements 7.0, using the appropriate project preset = NTSC AVCHD HD 1080i30 (there is no 1080p project preset, but that is another story). So details of how you are getting the video from the camera to the computer and Premiere Elements 7.0 may be in order depending on whether this is an Premiere Elements import or Premiere Elements Direct Upload to YouTube issue. Yes, I have actually downloaded online files from the Canon SX1 IS to test out what I have written, and they look great in the Edit Mode Monitor play back of that rendered Timeline.

2. When are you getting these low memory messages....while the video is still in the Edit Mode or only after you try to upload to YouTube directly

a. Use your computer Task Manager Performance or download Process Explorer Sysinternals to evaluate your computer memory situation when and if indicated. Typically, with 4 GB RAM installed, about 3 GB available RAM might be expected. So check to see how much less than 3 GB available RAM your computer has when you are running Premiere Elements 7.0. How much available hard drive space does your computer have and to where are your Scratch Files directed?

3. What setting are you using in YouTube..Share/Online/YouTube with High Definition Video for YouTube or other? If the problem is confined to the Share/Online/YouTube process, have you tried exporting your Timeline to a .mov file and then uploading that to YouTube at the YouTube web site? For this purpose, you might consider:

Share/Personal Computer/Quicktime with the Cable Modem DSL preset

Under the Advance Button

Video Tab

Compression H.264

Frame Width 1920, Height 1080

Frame Rate 29.97 fps

Field Order None (Progressive)

Pixel Aspect Ratio Square Pixels 1.0

Bitrate from 7 to 8 Mbps (megabits per second)....since Premiere Elements units are in kbps (kilobits per second), then try about 7000 kbps and find the happy compromise between quality and file size.

There can be alternative routes that we can discuss if necessary.

4. Keep in mind that if you follow the suggestion to convert your 1920 x 1080 to DV AVI, you will be

a. converting it to another format from H.264/.mov to DV/.avi, but also signifcantly downsizing the video from 1920 x 1080 to 720 x 480.

If your computer has a resource issue, then lowering the resolution of your source media should have impact. Also consider, if the resolution and not the video format is at the core of your issue, then look at 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 720 as an alternative frame size.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 5. Re: HD Export Settings
                  Lingonberry99 Level 1

ATR,

I just downloaded Quicktime last week, so I have the latest version so far. Also, I recently updated Adobe Premiere Elements 7 fully.

1. I had some trouble importing the video, so I actually imported all of the videos directly to the computer, and then brought them into Premiere from PC files. I was also unclear about how I was uploading it to YouTube. I've been trying Share>Personal Computer>Quicktime, which is giving me trouble.

2. I got the first "Adobe is running low on system memory" message about halfway through editing. Only once though. I most often get it while I'm exporting, usually just a short while before I get an error message.

a. Task Manager says I have 3.21GB of RAM while I'm exporting so I don't think that's a problem. I also have 798GB free of my approximately 1TB.

3. As I mentioned above, I am infact using a Quicktime (.mov) export. All of the settings you listed were the same as mine, except that I've been trying with Bitrates excess of 15,000KB as apposed to 8,000KB.

4. I don't want to downsize my video. Quality is pretty important to me, so I'd like to keep it at 1920x1080. I suppose that means I won't be trying to convert files, but if there's a way I can make my still camera video easier to export on Adobe without downsizing, let me know.

Thanks for your post, I really appreciate it.

• 6. Re: HD Export Settings
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Lingonberry99

Thanks for focusing in on the issue that you are having.

Let us try to deal with Share/Personal Computer/Quicktime. I am somewhat concerned that you have gone overboard with the video bitrate and have gotten yourself a hugh file size in your thinking the higher the video bitrate, the better the quality. Another matter of concern is keeping the bitrate units in focus.

In Premiere Elements Quicktime Video Tab, the bitrate units are given as kbps. This is kilobits per second. And there is a big difference between kbps (kilobits per second) and KBps which would be kilobytes per second. So, when you say that you have been setting your Quicktime bitrate at over 15000 KB, do you really mean that you have been setting the bitrate slider for Premiere Elements 7.0 Quicktime H.264 at 15000 or more kbps (kilobits per second)? Keep in mind that the slider range is from 5 to 144000 kbps.

Since I have seen recommendation for bitrates of 7 to 8 Mbps (megabits per second) for H.264 video, my suggested bitrate was a conservative guess-estimate.

7 Mbps = 7168 kbps

8 Mbps = 8192 kbps

What kind of file size are you getting for your 3 min video using this 15000 assumed kbps bitrate? You might want to determine if it is that high bitrate that is getting you in trouble. Good thing and quick thing to rule in or out.

And you are sure about that available RAM value when Premiere Elements 7.0 is running? Might be a good thing to double check in the Process Explorer Sysinternals.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR