9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2010 10:07 AM by Abram Adams

Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project

nikos101 Level 2

I'm trying to debug a cfc in a flex project Coldfusion builder installed as a plugin is Flash builder 4

But I'm getting a message saying:

File does not belong to a coldfusion project. Apply Coldfusion nature to the project to which the file belongs.

This is bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project

• 1. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
          Lampei Level 1

Just trying to understand this, but why do you have ColdFusion CFCs within a Flex project?  Your Flex project is compiled and will live client side, while your ColdFusion CFCs are going to live on the server.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
            nikos101 Level 2

Because the cfcs are specific to the flex project, I like having all my files that relate to an application in a single flex project.

• 3. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
              Abram Adams Level 1

Personally I'd keep them as separate projects.  You can still have both projects opened in eclipse and it will choose the proper editor when you open an .mxml/as vs .cfc/cfm file.

I'm actually developing a project now that embeds Railo into my Flex/Air app (to take my cf apps offline) so I have CFML that lives inside the packaged air application.  Even in this situation I keep them separate and use a custom ant build to export my CF project (from svn) to the appropriate directory in my Flex/Air project.

• 4. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
                nikos101 Level 2

I think your right mate, its taking me 5 programming years to figure this out

• 5. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
                  nikos101 Level 2

can you share your ant build?

• 6. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
                    Abram Adams Level 1

Here are the targets (simplified) that are specific to the cfml export.  The real build.xml reads a build.properties file for the variables, and main runs the flex build first:

<!-- Refresh CFML -->

<property name="SVN.USERNAME" value="MY SVN USERNAME"/><!-- change to your svn username -->
                    <property name="SVN.PASSWORD" value="MY SVN PASSWORD"/><!-- change to your svn password -->
                    <property name="SVN.PROJECT_URL" value="http://mysvnproject.com/trunk"/><!-- change to your svn url -->
                    <property name="BUILD.EXPORT_DIR" value="c:/CFML/project/export/path"/><!-- change to your CFML project path -->
                    <property name="DEPLOY_DIR" value="c:/flex/project/deploy/path"/><!-- change to your Flex project path -->

<!-- runs the targets -->
                    <target name="main" depends="export-cfml, copy-cfml"/>

<target name="export-cfml" depends="find_revision, check-svn-build" unless="build.exists">
                         <echo>Lates SVN build did not exist, export it</echo>
                         <!-- export from svn -->
                         <exec executable="svn">
                              <arg line="export &quot;${SVN.PROJECT_URL}&quot; ${build.dir} -r ${revision.number} --username ${SVN.USERNAME} --password ${SVN.PASSWORD}"/>
                         </exec>          
                    </target>

<!-- Get the latest revision number -->
                    <target name="find_revision" description="Sets property 'revision.number' to the head svn revision">

<!-- Use SVN to learn the latest revision number -->
                         <exec executable="svn" outputproperty="revision.number">
                              <arg line="info &quot;${SVN.PROJECT_URL}&quot;"/>
                              <redirector>
                                   <outputfilterchain>
                                        <linecontainsregexp>
                                             <regexp pattern='^Last Changed Rev' />
                                        </linecontainsregexp>
                                        <tokenfilter>
                                             <replaceregex pattern='[\D]+([\d]+)' replace="\1" />
                                        </tokenfilter>
                                   </outputfilterchain>
                              </redirector>
                         </exec>
                         <echo message="Current SVN Revision: ${revision.number}"/>
                    </target>

<!-- we only export from svn if we haven't already for current revision.number -->
                    <target name="check-svn-build">
                         <!-- setup the build dir name based on the latest revision number -->
                         <property name="build.dir" value="${BUILD.EXPORT_DIR}/${revision.number}" />
                         <available file="${build.dir}" property="build.exists" value="true" type="dir" />
                         <echo>SVN build exists: ${build.exists}</echo>
                    </target>

<!-- we always copy from the latest svn export dir to the flex project -->
                    <target name="copy-cfml">
                         <echo>Copy CFML to Flex Project</echo>
                         <!-- copy cfml to flex project -->
                         <copy todir="${DEPLOY_DIR}/www">
                              <fileset dir="${build.dir}"/>
                         </copy>
                    </target>

Note: I quickly stripped out all "extra" stuff we do for our project, so this is untested and may contain typos.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
                      nikos101 Level 2

Thats nice because I find it easier to have my cfcs locally for svn backup then deploy them

to network for testing.

• 8. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
                        nikos101 Level 2

How do you define the location of the svn executable?

It looks as if you are saving the air code in a different location to the coldfusion code?

cheers and respect

• 9. Re: Bad news if I can't debug cfcs in a flex project
                          Abram Adams Level 1

I'm using the CollabNet Subversion Client, which when installed adds the binary's path to the windows %PATH% environment variable.  Therefore the:

<exec executable="svn" 

just knows where it is.  You could set that up as a property just as easy though.

It looks as if you are saving the air code in a different location to the coldfusion code?

I have my CFML and Flex/Air projects in two separate directories.  The svn task exports the latest version of the CFML code to a folder where I keep all exported builds (based on a milestone + build number naming convention).  Once exported, ant then copies the CFML into my Air project release path.  So ultimately they live together.